• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Vs. Discraft

Discraft because they have best midrange and overstable putters. Innova because they have the best Fairway and Distance Drivers and Gateway because they have the best straight putters. I dont play favorites I just buy the best disc for the job.

I don't pay any attention. I throw what works. Right now I've got Innova, Discraft, Millennium, Gateway and Quest discs in my bag. Unless one of those companies wants to start paying me to use their discs, I'll keep using what works best regardless of who makes it.

I'm with Three Putt on this (although I'm NOWHERE CLOSE to anyone paying me to use their gear) - I have no disc loyalty. I like what works for me (which is why I have a feeling the JLS will ALWAYS have a place in my bag).

In direct response to the OP:
I used to lean more towards Innova because I thought I understood their numbering scheme better and that it helped me to select the best discs for me. But over the past couple of years, Discraft's stuff has been taking up more and more of my bag one disc at a time, pretty much starting from the inside out: first my Soft Challenger, then Buzzz, Soft APX, then ESP Surge for FH drives and Tommies.

For some reason, I've gotten more consistent results with my Discraft stuff. Could very well be that my technique began to improve a bit at about the same time I started going to those discs. All I know is that they work for me, so I'll stick with 'em.

Although I have nothing against Innova, and still use their stuff, I have a Stalker and a Discraft Misprint deal on the way - you do the math.

Last edited:
I throw more Discraft on a regular basis, I like their putters 2 out of 3 times...sometimes I like the XD.

I use Innova for specific drivers, because I can control discs according to their flight patterns. I throw a Champ Viking, DX Valkyrie and a Pro Starfire..and I'm playing around with an R-Pro Boss (yes they're as flimsy as you've heard...but they've got some GO)

My "default" drivers are the XL (sometimes, currently my dad carries it) and ALL the time my Z Stalker. I love that disc.

I tend to have more Innova because they're carried a LOT MORE around here, also their information on their discs is better, though you're dx plastic is trash even compared to D plastic by discraft...but I throw it too.

I also have some Quest stuff and some Lightning stuff, I'm no snob.

I bought a crush on eBay by putting in a TINY bid and just randomly winning, it's a nice dye with a sweet hotstamp..which I didn't even notice when I bid on it. So that's a plus, but I haven't played with it yet.

I also have a Z Surge SS that is just too new to fly right for me, but I haven't been playing it...so it's not getting broken in...but I have too many discs so I just thinned out the bag. Carrying 7-9 discs gets me through ANY situation, including fading sun and water.

\/\/

Hey,
First off, my bag consists comepletly of Innova discs. I am open to trying everything but like most people I was introduced to Innova because of how easy they were to find and have stuck with them because I know what they do. Also i recently ordered some Discraft discs and they are in the mail so I hope I will like a few of them, and perhaps get more in the future.

Also, after reading a lot of post, many people complained about not buying Discraft discs just because they didnt want to pay shipping when they could just find Innova in the store. The easy solution.... discgolfcenter.com. Its a site with almost every disc I have read about in every plastic (assuming it is in stock) and if you chose the default shipping it is free shipping. Hope that helps some of you! :)

Finally I have a big question to pose to everyone that I hope they can answer. I have read a lot of places, and there really just are not good answers on this topic. Unlike most people, I throw forehand on my drives almost exclusively, only relaying on my awful backhand if the hole truly forces me to do so. I do not however have any problems with distance, I have played disc golf for less then a year now (although I have been a very big ultimate player for a long time) and my forehand drives are averaging around 400 feet, which I feel is pretty good for someone as new as me :). That being said the discs in my bag that I rely on to throw my forehands are:
Innova - Xcaliber (Champion, Star)
Innova - Boss (Champion)
Even with these heavy overstable discs, I often find myself throwing hard enough to turn them so they are just near my limit of the discs I like. This being said, can anyone suggest discs and plastics from other brands that follow in these super over stable footprints and their amazing distance and speed? I would love to try them all out but I am just not sure where to even begin.

Thanks in advance!

Variety of discs: Innova
Better plastics: Discraft
Consistency between runs: Discraft
Better Putters: Discraft
Better Mids: Discraft
Better Fairway drivers: Innova
Better Distance drivers: Innova

Overall, I prefer Discraft. Plus they are located in Michigan, so I feel great about supporting a local business.

*All of this is based on my honest opinion.*

Hey,
First off, my bag consists comepletly of Innova discs. I am open to trying everything but like most people I was introduced to Innova because of how easy they were to find and have stuck with them because I know what they do. Also i recently ordered some Discraft discs and they are in the mail so I hope I will like a few of them, and perhaps get more in the future.

Also, after reading a lot of post, many people complained about not buying Discraft discs just because they didnt want to pay shipping when they could just find Innova in the store. The easy solution.... discgolfcenter.com. Its a site with almost every disc I have read about in every plastic (assuming it is in stock) and if you chose the default shipping it is free shipping. Hope that helps some of you! :)

Finally I have a big question to pose to everyone that I hope they can answer. I have read a lot of places, and there really just are not good answers on this topic. Unlike most people, I throw forehand on my drives almost exclusively, only relaying on my awful backhand if the hole truly forces me to do so. I do not however have any problems with distance, I have played disc golf for less then a year now (although I have been a very big ultimate player for a long time) and my forehand drives are averaging around 400 feet, which I feel is pretty good for someone as new as me :). That being said the discs in my bag that I rely on to throw my forehands are:
Innova - Xcaliber (Champion, Star)
Innova - Boss (Champion)
Even with these heavy overstable discs, I often find myself throwing hard enough to turn them so they are just near my limit of the discs I like. This being said, can anyone suggest discs and plastics from other brands that follow in these super over stable footprints and their amazing distance and speed? I would love to try them all out but I am just not sure where to even begin.

Thanks in advance!

z flick.

TRY A LAT 64 HALO, OR A DISCRAFT NUKE. HEY IF YOU CAN HIT 400' THATS COOL BUT CAN YOU CONTROL YOUR DISC? I PLAY IN CA AND I HAVE NEVER HAD TO HIT 400' ON MY DRIVE. DO YOU WANT TO BUT PLASTIC DOWN FIELD OR PUT IT NEXT TO CHAINS?.HEY UNTIL YOU GET IT IN YOUR HAND WHO KNOWS. IF YOU WANT OVERSTABLE GO DISCRAFT CRUSH .