• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(insert pro disc golfer's name) leaving (insert established disc golf company name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know whats going on but outta respect to the player(s) I won't say anthing to spoil their business moves.
Likewise, I've been feigning ignorance for a few weeks

or have I ......
1/1/13 ........
glad y'all like those stamps!

Also Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
I would assume one of the reasons is to create hype. If it wasn't for DGCR going detective mode after some of the first announcements than there would be even more speculation and hype than there is now. I can guarantee FB probably has 10x the amount of DGers as DGCR, because the super casuals can find their favorite pro and friend them.

I'm sure some of the players had rumors going around them and their companies were starting to get word that they were losing players. Innova did some house-cleaning so some of the players made their announcements, and after that I'm sure the other pros decided it was time to do their announcement.

Could you really see 10-15 of the top pros announcing they were leaving their major sponsors for a new company, on the day it's announced?

W/r/t all the cloak and dagger top secret announcement stuff...
Some of this is clearly not as secret as others. The only reason I can think of that the Jan 1 date is so important is if there's a publicly traded company involved. SEC regs are strict on this. A company with public shareholders is required to announce any new ventures (buying another co, selling off a div, investing in a new market, et) in a way that all shareholders get the info at the same time. Some CEO, unrelated to DG, just as an example, got fined recently for announcing something on his FB page, since not every shareholder is on FB necessarily.

I'm just talking out of the top of my neck here. But...just sayin'.

A far as the tour being all over the place, I think this has more to do with TD's and sponsors. If a group of TD's get together to make something work, another one just comes in and does whatever he wants. If you can't get in the flow you just put it on whenever you choose. Don't blame the PDGA when TD's can't even work with each other without trying to show each other up. If you think flow is important then support the clubs trying to create one.

Sponsors are hard to come by. Very few A tiers do more than the minimum, NT's can't or won't get in a flow and Majors and Worlds never have enough clubs bidding on them. I think most of this is trying to fund tournaments off the back of Am's. If you stop supporting these types of tournaments, you'll get a higher quality of events that may choose to work together.

I started this thread with expectations of Landfill by page 8. I'm thoroughly disappointed with everyone's ability to stay focused.

I lost track of the thread at some point, so here are my contributions.

1. Haters gonna hate.
2. Koling is the World Distance Champion and US Distance Champion. Wiggins is world record holder. They both throw farther than all of you arEighty-nine pages later, Prodigy's plan is obviously working. TrojanTalbot may not buy the discs, but they've obviously got his attention.
4. I ate roughly a pound of Christmas fudge last night.
5. Merry Christmas.

Well put. Me not buying there discs has no impact on my desire to see them succeed, if they can change the way touring pros get paid. Allow the pros to make an above average salary just play disc and our sport becomes even better as more people can spend time focused on their game and teaching it to others.

First off....you can't really call it a worlds if its only ever in America
Second....How big of teams do Lat64 send over here to compete? maybe 3-8 people? Not very good odds for them....especially on courses they don't know at all. And then compare that to Innova and Discraft that probably had 20+ competitors each.
Third.... in the last 3-4 years SEVERAL new companies have sprung up. It will take some time to develop a win line-up for those companies. Innova and Discraft were there from day one (essentially) so naturally they would have a better grip on the market.
Forth....You need to look at the Big Picture not a few paint strokes.

Worlds has been in Toronto before. Just once and not off the continent, but it counts. In reality though the Worlds in Charlotte would not have been the same if it were held in Europe, most of us cannot afford to make that kind of trip happen and there are way too many disc golfers in the US for it to be financially viable in another country at this point. Maybe new companies like Prodigy can help change this reality.

unless anyone beats wiggins distance record I won't call them distance champ... I won't call Doss champ unless he wins 10 more title and I don't wanna be called champ unless I win 12 more. My opinion
Love this!
Although I dont think The Champ will ever lose that title. Competition has become way more cut-throat this last decade.

What about the bow? Doesn't that factor into it? Is the archer using a compound bow? A recurve? A longbow? I was into archery for a long time when I was younger and it always took me awhile to get used to handling a different bow. Maybe it was just me...
YES! I was hoping some one would say this. I hate that Its the archer not the arrow crud. It would work if it was "its the chucker not the spear."

Baseball, Basketball, Football all have world championships. Whats the difference?
BIG DIFFERENCES....to name a few:
1) The World Baseball Classics, World Championships, Olympics, World Cup, and etc. all have teams that are separated by country. They only allow a certain # of teams per country to make it fair as far as odds.
2) Team Sport vs Individual Sport. Individual sports on the "world" scale are held throughout the world from year to year and represent their country and themselves.
3) Football(NFL)=Superbowl
Football(World)=IFAF World Cup
Futbol=World Cup (with even amount of teams separated by country)
Soccer=MLS Cup

#1 a million times over. It always amazes me how little the midwest (the real one MN, WI, IL, MI, IA, IN) see NT and majors from year to year. Basically we get a worlds ever few years and MAYBE a NT/semi-major. Yet each one of those States have 100+ courses. all of them have the courses and facilities to host huge events.
When I first started competing, we had several big tourns, GMO, St Louis OPen, MN Majestic, River City Rumble, Great Lakes Open, Mad City Open, and a couple more I can't remember. But those tournaments are now usually B teirs and have little hype around them. All of them are on great courses too!
Personally I think we need a Tour that has more than 1 stop a month. And should be played in a circle around the country. Start in the SouthWest->Northwest->Midwest->Northeast->Southeast->South Central (can't think of what Texas and friends is called...haha). The advantage to that is weather is nice throughout, pros can easily figure out an affordable schedule, and they cover the whole country.

**Side Note**
I know IL had that Peoria major last year....but lets be honest, the incredible stupid way it was set-up (HAD to be there Thu mid day and the tourn was on Fri/Sat) made it so touring pros and locals made up 98% of the contestants, hardly any local pros from the greater area.

If Ohio isn't Midwest, where the hell is it? We're sure as hell not east coast or south :|

-edit- You might make a case for extreme southern OH being part of the south, or at least more south than midwest.

FWIW, Columbus has a yearly NT in the BHMO.

A far as the tour being all over the place, I think this has more to do with TD's and sponsors. If a group of TD's get together to make something work, another one just comes in and does whatever he wants. If you can't get in the flow you just put it on whenever you choose. Don't blame the PDGA when TD's can't even work with each other without trying to show each other up. If you think flow is important then support the clubs trying to create one.

Sponsors are hard to come by. Very few A tiers do more than the minimum, NT's can't or won't get in a flow and Majors and Worlds never have enough clubs bidding on them. I think most of this is trying to fund tournaments off the back of Am's. If you stop supporting these types of tournaments, you'll get a higher quality of events that may choose to work together.

I like what you are saying here. I think we will get better tournaments with more local support, but we also need the PDGA and their state coordinators to step up and address the flow issue. There is a lack of communication that needs to be fixed.

That should be the end of my replies for now. Merry Christmas and happy belated Haunaka.

Worlds has been in Toronto before. Just once and not off the continent, but it counts. In reality though the Worlds in Charlotte would not have been the same if it were held in Europe, most of us cannot afford to make that kind of trip happen and there are way too many disc golfers in the US for it to be financially viable in another country at this point. Maybe new companies like Prodigy can help change this reality.

Well thats the problem right there....selfish thought. How many of them can afford to come here? It works both ways and I am tired of this selfish argument from the majority.
PDGA needs to break away from being so America focused, its not the APDGA. Canada is right there with some great courses and how much action has there been there? essential nil besides the above mentioned. I'm pretty confident you could get 400+ Ams to show up for an AM Worlds in Europe. Look at the Tali Open and European Championships...their huge...definitely have the potential to support Pro Worlds. With all this team changing and different manufacturers I am sure the American teams would be sent over with strength to go take the title.
Heck the PDGA would do themselves a huge favor if they held one there. I gurantee a burst in memberships. Thats definitely one way to look at some serious growth and that market has only got a tiny spicket on it. That or they can go buy another $10k tent...that'll help right?:wall:

No Am Worlds likely outside U.S. for a long time. Significant reason, they have minimal amateur tournament action. It's mostly Pros and some Juniors. The PDGA has discussed Pro Worlds with several promoters outside North America and they say they are not ready to handle it from any combination of sponsorship, nearby quality courses or staffing standpoints. They'll get one as soon as they say they are ready which at this point would be sometime after 2016.

If Ohio isn't Midwest, where the hell is it? We're sure as hell not east coast or south :|

-edit- You might make a case for extreme southern OH being part of the south, or at least more south than midwest.

FWIW, Columbus has a yearly NT in the BHMO.

Ohio is kind of a tweener state. When I've been on the west side I feel like I'm in the midwest, but when I am on the east side I feel like I am in PA or MD. MO is in the same boat as OH. But I wouldn't be bothered if either were included in the Midwest. Tho Ohio is far closer to the Atlantic than the Mississippi.....:p
What is considered the midwest "techincally"
midwest_map.jpg

Sorry but ND SD NE and KS are Plains States not midwest.

Let's look at this years NT:
3 far west events AZ CA OR
1 central event MO
2 eastern everts OH MA

Now we add in the Majors:
1 far west event OR
3 central events MI* KS* IN*
2 eastern events NC SC*

*qualification required

So that leaves:
4 events in the west (no qualification required)
4 events in the east (1 requires qualification)
4 events in the middle (3 require qualification)

Although that looks "even" its really not since the middle of the country only has 1 event that any member can play in.

No Am Worlds likely outside U.S. for a long time. Significant reason, they have minimal amateur tournament action. It's mostly Pros and some Juniors. The PDGA has discussed Pro Worlds with several promoters outside North America and they say they are not ready to handle it from any combination of sponsorship, nearby quality courses or staffing standpoints. They'll get one as soon as they say they are ready which at this point would be sometime after 2016.

That I can understand.

Likewise, I've been feigning ignorance for a few weeks

or have I ......
1/1/13 ........
glad y'all like those stamps!

Also Merry Christmas!

Kind of funny that posts like this get ingored in a speculation thread. This thread has taken on a life of it's own.

And, Merry Christmas as well!

so what if they are?

in all reality it's a sport that is only played in America by Americans

that hardly makes it a "world" anything

I would say mostly by Americans. There are internationals who play American sports. Football, basketball, and baseball are all filled with internationals who compete in the U.S.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts