• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

32 pages, yup, I have no time to read them all.

Is there a plan on how they are going to be released because I am assuming, or at least hoping, that it is going to be more than just a Facebook and forum blast followed by the stores sending out an email.

Are there plans for an Ace Race, Ace Run, Birdie Bash style tournament? I find that you will usually draw in some kind of fanboy in what otherwise what not be your local market. This tournament director, who would normally fly under the radar in regards to the type of person you would normally consider to be a tester, can accomplish a lot more than just a straight up word of mouth campaign.

Yes, a good portion of investment has been set aside for marketing. Upon official release you shall see the fruits of our labor.

I know this is a lot for shoes, but if you can make something light, durable, and waterproof, I am in. I have hilly courses near me, but I feel like hiking boots really hinder my footwork. Something along the lines of trail running shoes with a durable sole and waterproof outer would be rad.

We are going for more of an athletic look rather than your typical heavy hiking shoe. Durability and comfort is #1, finding a 1 piece sole in large sizes is the tough part but we are trying.

Here are a few test discs, you can see by the writing how important consistency is to us, we record everything!!!

Can I take a crack at decoding your notes? First, it looks like you're running your upper and lower processes, based on the cool times. It looks like you're going to eventually shoot for a 120 second cool time. I'd guess the "1st" and "2nd" are the stages during injection? 1800 bar for 4.7 seconds, followed by the hold phase at 1000 bar for 60 seconds. Finally it is followed up by a 90 or 150 second cool time. Mold temp is obviously 130 degrees. Can't make out the other notes. I guess I didn't think the hold phase was so long for molding discs especially with a thin flight plate that should freeze fairly quick, but it makes sense, the long cooling time does as well.

Well we have about 50 different variations of cool times,temp, etc. What you see is just a small sample of test discs in one of our plastics. The blend of resins we are using have chemical properties unlike other resins that our competitors use, so the testing takes a bit longer.

Well we have about 50 different variations of cool times,temp, etc. What you see is just a small sample of test discs in one of our plastics. The blend of resins we are using have chemical properties unlike other resins that our competitors use, so the testing takes a bit longer.

I would assume there would be many variations. All companies should do their due diligence during the development stages and perform a proper DOE. Unfortunately, unless you have a material supplier who is committed to the little guy, all of this stuff can change when you get your next gaylord/bags of material.

I would assume there would be many variations. All companies should do their due diligence during the development stages and perform a proper DOE. Unfortunately, unless you have a material supplier who is committed to the little guy, all of this stuff can change when you get your next gaylord/bags of material.

Very true. Makes things easier when your family owns the polymer company that supplies you.

We are going for more of an athletic look rather than your typical heavy hiking shoe. Durability and comfort is #1, finding a 1 piece sole in large sizes is the tough part but we are trying.

My biggest problem with shoes, as is probably most disc golfers, is blowing out the sides. More often than not I see the most wear and tear on the outside toes.

I had Bites for awhile but when they went, they went fast. So far the best shoes I have ever come across are the Swiss Wears from Target. I have even destroyed work boots and winter boots. This winter I switched up to hunting boots and they seem to be holding up fine, but wow, what an investment.

My biggest problem with shoes, as is probably most disc golfers, is blowing out the sides. More often than not I see the most wear and tear on the outside toes.

I had Bites for awhile but when they went, they went fast. So far the best shoes I have ever come across are the Swiss Wears from Target. I have even destroyed work boots and winter boots. This winter I switched up to hunting boots and they seem to be holding up fine, but wow, what an investment.

I still carry bites that i got used. They still work great. Not sure how old they are but definitely a least 2 years

I know this is a lot for shoes, but if you can make something light, durable, and waterproof, I am in. I have hilly courses near me, but I feel like hiking boots really hinder my footwork. Something along the lines of trail running shoes with a durable sole and waterproof outer would be rad.

Zero drop, flexible, wide toe box… pure minimalist.

But this is the thread for discs. I kind of hope the shoes, when they come out, are under a different sub-brand. Unless the brand is "Salient Disc Golf" (it's "Salient Discs" right now right? Thread title indicates as much.).

Yeah, new thread for shoes. I check this thread over and over for disc news, but the shoes have taken over!

Yeah, new thread for shoes. I check this thread over and over for disc news, but the shoes have taken over!

The shoes are a work in process, our focus is on our discs which we are happy with so far. We don't want to be premature on our release, designing something other than a typical destroyer, teebird, etc takes time but we are very close.

More to come in the near future along with pics here in the upcoming week.

The shoes are a work in process, our focus is on our discs which we are happy with so far. We don't want to be premature on our release, designing something other than a typical destroyer, teebird, etc takes time but we are very close.

More to come in the near future along with pics here in the upcoming week.

Awesome. Very excited to get my mitts on the proto-etheus or first run whenever it comes along!

Prometheus is coming......so far testing has been successful. I can't give away much more than that because we can't rate Prometheus in typical flight chart standards (i.e. speed, glide, hss, fade) because there has not been a disc like this made yet and typical flight charts don't accurately describe these discs...More to come on this soon as to why this is the case.

I can't give away much more than that because we can't rate Prometheus in typical flight chart standards (i.e. speed, glide, hss, fade) because there has not been a disc like this made yet and typical flight charts don't accurately describe these discs...More to come on this soon as to why this is the case.

Really can't wait to find out why this disc can't be measured in terms of typical flight. I know every company has to market but this is something we've all heard before in the disc golf world and I've yet to see any manufacturer or line of discs do something that defies the way we know discs to fly in terms of physics.

A typical flight chart shows the flight of the disc so unless your's teleports I think you'll be able to draw a line of the average flight.

Now if you tell me you've ground up unicorn horn to mix with the polymers I'll buy it that you've got a magical disc.