• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is Innova lacking a true understable fairway driver?

Leopard, Valk and Beast are all flippy dippy enough.
Even an Eagle L, when nicely seasoned, will carve a nice anny line.
My go to flippy fairway is an old domey CE Gazelle.

The long and the short is, Innova has plenty of discs for what you're looking for, you just don't have one. :|

If a new leopard beast or valk is flippy for you in premium plastic you have serious form/OAT issues my friend.

There a champ archangels out there but rare....with the speed of discs at 13 most people would say that the speed nine discs are fairway drivers. But I would agree with the OP that they lack an understable fairway driver. The cheetah and leopard are nice but not really understable out of the box

I recall Dave saying that the Champ AAs came out way too stable, errr, overstable. They just couldn't make the characteristics transfer from DX to Champ. Having had a few (from Zone Driven, IIRC), I would have to agree.

Charles

It's true. It's Innova's dark secret. Just look at how their pros have suffered over the years from this blank spot in their line-up. Other companies roll out champion after champion and all Innova can do is think "what if?"

:p

Most pros used a seasoned champ teebird for this spot but I'd rather have something that does the same shot when its new so if I lose it I can just grab another one of the shelf instead of having to beat in another teebird.

It is right on the line between midrange and fairway driver, but I use a Star Stingray in that role. I've not tried a Champ Stingray, but I might work.

The Stingray is not quite as long as a Leopard, but it's not dramatically shorter either.

Just imagine a speed 7 stingray...that would be sweeet

Their is a speed seven stingray but its made by lat64 flat opto river.

River flies in no way like a stingray for me. A stingray is very floaty and just wants to slowly go right on a flat release. A river is really fast and straight to about 380 for me.

I always regret coming into the equipment forum these days...

But to the OP, a Speed 7 Mamba would be amazing!

I agree. It would also allow the weaker arms make the venture into higher speed discs without the disc masking form flaws. Even at 300' of power a champ teebird with mask some OAT.

What I'm getting at is, I would like a fairway driver in champion plastic to be a nice turnover disc straight out of the box for 330-375ft worth of power.

I think that a lot of people may be missing, or ignoring, the points in your original request that I underlined above.

I have a 175ish Champion Leopard and it's very stable (straight flying) for me. I took my daughter's 150g Champion Leopard with me to the field the other day, though, and it definitely had more high speed turn.

I think that a lot of people may be missing, or ignoring, the points in your original request that I underlined above.

I have a 175ish Champion Leopard and it's very stable (straight flying) for me. I took my daughter's 150g Champion Leopard with me to the field the other day, though, and it definitely had more high speed turn.

Thank you Jim. It's nice to see someone who knows how to read a post for what it is and respond with intelligence lol

River flies in no way like a stingray for me. A stingray is very floaty and just wants to slowly go right on a flat release. A river is really fast and straight to about 380 for me.

Find a flat translucent light river and use it for a couple weeks it becomes a turnover machine! I have had rivers like yours they typically have more dome you can find very flippy rivers.

I'm also comparing it to San Marino champ stingray for what it's worth not dx.

Last edited:

OK so all kidding aside, I think a lighter Valk flips with ease right in that range. It may not be truly understable but honestly within a few rounds of throwing a brand new 175g champ Valk I can anny it and it stays on the line I set it to with minimal fade if any. If I can do that with a max weight Valk I think most people could with anything under 170g.

And no I do not have any OAT issues, I can post some video in a few days if you really want.