• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is Innova lacking a true understable fairway driver?

I know man. Please read the P.S in my OP

Or a Prodigy F7, I think you made your point. Innova doesnt make one. I was just trying to give you options.

If you must have Innova then a Champ Eagle L, Leopard or QJLS will bring you the closest. All around 165-170 will still probably need a little seasoning. Hand pick one with the lowest PLH.

Find a flat translucent light river and use it for a couple weeks it becomes a turnover machine! I have had rivers like yours they typically have more dome you can find very flippy rivers.

Ok but what about in innovas line up? Do you agree there is a gap for an understable fairway spot?

pre-barry leos are pretty understable.
once they're beat up :D

Ok but what about in innovas line up? Do you agree there is a gap for an understable fairway spot?

Ya I definately agree I tried leopards for this slot but they were more stable than expected. I use beat CE Qjls for a turnover fairway but you are right nothing out of the box from innova can fill that role. I will say though the oop champ stingrays can take a lot more power than dx and can get pretty close to the distances of fairway drivers.

I love it, the OP is asking whether there is a gap in Innova's line up and instead of saying yay or nay or something constructive, people just squawk about Rivers, Underworlds, F7s. THAT WASN'T THE OP!!! :wall:

pre-barry leos are pretty understable.
once they're beat up :D

Innova seems to follow that trend you really have to beat in discs for this slot a lot of other companies these days are going for off the shelf performance. I think lately innova has followed suit with high speed stuff maybe if they release a new fairway sometime soon it will be more like their high releases as of late.

I love it, the OP is asking whether there is a gap in Innova's line up and instead of saying yay or nay or something constructive, people just squawk about Rivers, Underworlds, F7s. THAT WASN'T THE OP!!! :wall:

Of course people are going to recommend something else because the op was spot on their is a void in innovas under stable fairway slot. Should we all just reply and say yes your right! Lol that would be a productive thread paging captain obvious here

You can also over sand off the flashing a bit and make a disc more understable. Ive done this to my new Star 175 Teebirds to artificially beat them in. One more then another. Really works wonders, just dont overdo it or the disc can become squirrely.

Lol I thought I made myself clear but apparently not. If I was looking for suggestions I would have put this in the bag/suggestions topic.

Of course people are going to recommend something else because the op was spot on their is a void in innovas under stable fairway slot. Should we all just reply and say yes your right! Lol that would be a productive thread paging captain obvious here

Read the P.S. He wants to DISCUSS the void in the lineup, who knows maybe some intelligent DISCUSSION will prompt Innova to recognize that we would like to see a speed 6-7 truly understable fairway.

Of course who am I kidding, this is the Equipment forum after all.

I think you have to go to DX to find what you're looking for. Wether it be a Teebird, Gazelle, or leopard. beat up dx is the way to go for turnovers.

There's really not a gap unless you're one of those folks that insists on throwing premium plastic even in molds that were designed in (and fly much better in) base plastics. Newer discs that were designed for star and pro fly great in those plastics, but older discs that were designed when there only was dx don't always translate as well. The DX and pro leopards fill that slot great, and don't break in nearly as quickly as people like to believe. I've played with older players who had the same pro leopard in their bag for years and it still flew great.

For a week maybe then their rollers.

Nah, not with a slower disc like a leopard. They fly great after a large number of tree hits. High speed drivers with thinner wings definitely can get flippy after a small amount of use, but mids and slow fairway drivers are a whole lot more durable in DX than newer players who only throw premium stuff seem to think.

Last edited:

Chill dude, there has a lot of people with good posts without recommending another disc. No need for the negativity.

I've been playing with the same dx teebird for a year. It's beat to hell. I sometimes use it as a roller. If you can't control a disc that turns enough to be a roller that is you're problem. I throw it high on a hyzer and it can flip up and turn and still fade back at the end. It's beautiful. If you have a bunch of roller dx teebirds, I'll take them.

I really don't use much dx stuff I did throw dx teebirds for awhile but once I gained more power I didn't see a point I can make the same turnover shot with a sanny champ stingray and for I get more control with the stingray too

There's really not a gap unless you're one of those folks that insists on throwing premium plastic even in molds that were designed in (and fly much better in) base plastics. Newer discs that were designed for star and pro fly great in those plastics, but older discs that were designed when there only was dx don't always translate as well. The DX and pro leopards fill that slot great, and don't break in nearly as quickly as people like to believe. I've played with older players who had the same pro leopard in their bag for years and it still flew great.

I mostly agree mashnut but you would think with as many molds as they have out now they would have a stingray/roadrunner/mamba type disc which are all understable in premium plastic.

What is their to discuss their is a void its a fact!

THERE is something to discuss and yes THERE is a void. Other discussion topics could include "how understable?" "what plastics shoud it be in?" "Should it be 6-7 speed or since 9s are fairways now, something even more understable than a RR?"

For a week maybe then their rollers.

Common misconception about DX. Do they break in fast?: yes. Are they rollers after a few rounds? no.