• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Kastaplast Grym

Can anyone help my figure out which disc to get for FH shots? Grym or Grym X? I'm a little worried about the 1.1cm rim depth but the plastic is so damn nice, it's hard to look away.

For reference, I am a FH dominant player and normally throw 172-175g: Lucid Sherrifs, Icon Outlaws, Snowline Ballista, Tp Worlds, D3/D2 out to about 325ish. My form is decent and I don't over torque, but I also like a disc that doesn't turn and burn if you get over on it a bit too much. Some of my Outlaws are touchy like that. Most of the Defenders I've thrown are too OS for me to get any goods distance out of. The max weight Lucid Sherrif I have flies about as long and perfect as anything at the moment and a seasoned 173g Tp World handles the more OS slot unless the wind is really up, then it's a max weight D2 or Defender.

I'm thinking start with the Grym and if it turns too much then try a Grym X? Does that sound right? Most of the reviews I've read say the Grym is less understable than the numbers indicate. I REALLY like the K1 glow and hear its slightly more OS so I think a Glow Grym might be the ticket. Does it compare to a heavy Lucid Sheriff for anyone who has thrown both? What about D3 compared to the Grym and D2 compared to Grym X? Does that sound like an apt comparison? Thanks in advance.

A heavy Glow Grym will definitely be the way to go for you. They're more stable than the numbers that Infinite gives, my 171 K1 was slightly more stable than my 172 Lucid Sheriff.

The Grym X is a true 0 turn in my experience, closer to a stable D1 than a D2. There's certainly room for both in the bag, but at 325 I think you'll be better served by the Grym.

Can anyone help my figure out which disc to get for FH shots? Grym or Grym X? I'm a little worried about the 1.1cm rim depth but the plastic is so damn nice, it's hard to look away.

For reference, I am a FH dominant player and normally throw 172-175g: Lucid Sherrifs, Icon Outlaws, Snowline Ballista, Tp Worlds, D3/D2 out to about 325ish. My form is decent and I don't over torque, but I also like a disc that doesn't turn and burn if you get over on it a bit too much. Some of my Outlaws are touchy like that. Most of the Defenders I've thrown are too OS for me to get any goods distance out of. The max weight Lucid Sherrif I have flies about as long and perfect as anything at the moment and a seasoned 173g Tp World handles the more OS slot unless the wind is really up, then it's a max weight D2 or Defender.

I'm thinking start with the Grym and if it turns too much then try a Grym X? Does that sound right? Most of the reviews I've read say the Grym is less understable than the numbers indicate. I REALLY like the K1 glow and hear its slightly more OS so I think a Glow Grym might be the ticket. Does it compare to a heavy Lucid Sheriff for anyone who has thrown both? What about D3 compared to the Grym and D2 compared to Grym X? Does that sound like an apt comparison? Thanks in advance.

A heavy Glow Grym will definitely be the way to go for you. They're more stable than the numbers that Infinite gives, my 171 K1 was slightly more stable than my 172 Lucid Sheriff.

The Grym X is a true 0 turn in my experience, closer to a stable D1 than a D2. There's certainly room for both in the bag, but at 325 I think you'll be better served by the Grym.

They (Grym) are more stable than the numbers say.

Have you ever held a trespass? Similar feel, IMO. It is quite shallow feeling. If you can get your hands on one first, it might be beneficial. The shallowness is an acquired feeling, I think. The plastic is awesome, though!

If you throw 325 I think the Grym will be pretty good out of the box for FH, pretty stable for BH. Once it breaks in it will be a good distance BH that wont turn over and easy distance FH unless there is a strong head wind.

The Grym X is clearly more stable. Great for long hyzers, spike hyzers and power FH. Haven't gotten mine noticeably less stable even with some heavy use. If you like the plastic and the rims you should bag both, they don't overlap.

If you are familiar with inbound's flight chart they rate Grym X 0% HST 59% LSF which I think is fair.
They rate Grym -29% HST 49% LSF but I'd rate it more like -20% HST 49% LSF.

Thanks guys for all the solid info. I think I'll start with the Grym and see how it goes. I've got the bookend OS driver slot pretty well covered already. It's that everyday line shaping FH driver that intrigues me. A Glow Grym I think could be the missing link in my glow bag. I'm sure I'll eventually end up with both. I can't quit this plastic blend.

My 172 K1 Glow Grym came in. Long story short, this is may be the funnest FH disc I've ever thrown. I was aprehensive about the shallow rim but for whatever reason, it's jumping out of my hand cleaner and faster than just about anything I've ever flicked. It just works for me. The high speed turn is JUST right and there is plenty of fade to keep things in check. It is understable but not flippy by any means. I LOVE THIS DISC. I also immediately went online and ordered a Grym X for more straight to fade shots. Thanks again for the advice. Kastaplast has a real winner here for me.

Revival - I was also curious of the Glow Grym vs Grym-X - I checked out these at a store and was blown away by how nice the plastic was and how it felt. never got it as I love my distance drivers as they are but I don't have any glow distance drivers so....ehhh why not, right? Any updated reviews?

Grym

Tried a Grym for the first time today. K1 plastic. Unknown weight, but it isn't super light. I'm not familiar with Kastaplast's plastics, but this feels and looks like star or ESP. Shiny and somewhat gummy. Very nice stuff. The disc has an an average dome.

In the hand the Grym reminds me of a Tern or DDX. The rim isn't overly wide, but it is very shallow. The rim also has a fairly sharp outer edge. Make no mistake, the Grym is a faster disc than you'd initially think just by holding/examining it.

Flight-wise, the Grym also reminds me of a Tern or DDX. It has some definite high speed turn and will fly a nice S curve. I won't call the disc flippy, but it can definitely be torqued into the ground if you throw it too hard or into a headwind.

Top distance was probably 420'. The Grym has a very Tern-like flight, but doesn't glide as well. It also has a dumpier late fade. That's where the DDX attributes show up. As soon as the Grym slows down it looks for the ground. Unlike a Tern you don't get that long, floaty fade. That was costing the disc at least 20' head to head against a champ Tern. I was also putting a champ Katana (175g) past it by at least 30' on every throw. The Grym is adequately long, but definitely not the longest thing I've ever seen.

Overall, I liked the Grym. For having an average width rim the disc is still plenty fast. The rim is super shallow. Those who have grip issues with shallow rims should probably beware here. Comparisons to the Tern and DDX are obvious. The Grym glides average to above average. I feel like the fade is abrupt/dumpy though. The Grym definitely lacks the effortless, floaty distance of a Tern. The disc does well in calm conditions or tailwinds, but seemed to get overpowered by a headwind. The Grym is a nice disc for shots in the 400' range. Its also not hard to throw. Beginner-intermediate players could use this disc as an intro to fast drivers.

IMO, the deceptive speed is this disc's best attribute. An 11-12 thickness rim that delivers 13 speed.

Grym: 13, 5, -2, 2. I'm going to keep the speed 13. This disc zips when you throw it hard. The only number I changed from the factory numbers was high speed turn. I give it -2, its listed on the disc as -1. The Grym will definitely turn and burn in headwinds or if you get your release angle wrong. It isn't overly flippy though. Lack of late glide hurts overall distance somewhat. For me the Grym was coming up 20' short of a Tern on every throw despite flying almost exactly the same line.

I recommend this disc, but I don't feel its a total game changer.

Last edited:
Tried a Grym for the first time today. K1 plastic. Unknown weight, but it isn't super light. I'm not familiar with Kastaplast's plastics, but this feels and looks like star or ESP. Shiny and somewhat gummy. Very nice stuff. The disc has an an average dome.

In the hand the Grym reminds me of a Tern or DDX. The rim isn't overly wide, but it is very shallow. The rim also has a fairly sharp outer edge. Make no mistake, the Grym is a faster disc than you'd initially think just by holding/examining it.

Flight-wise, the Grym also reminds me of a Tern or DDX. It has some definite high speed turn and will fly a nice S curve. I won't call the disc flippy, but it can definitely be torqued into the ground if you throw it too hard or into a headwind.

Top distance was probably 420'. The Grym has a very Tern-like flight, but doesn't glide as well. It also has a dumpier late fade. That's where the DDX attributes show up. As soon as the Grym slows down it looks for the ground. Unlike a Tern you don't get that long, floaty fade. That was costing the disc at least 20' head to head against a champ Tern. I was also putting a champ Katana (175g) past it by at least 30' on every throw. The Grym is adequately long, but definitely not the longest thing I've ever seen.

Overall, I liked the Grym. For having an average width rim the disc is still plenty fast. The rim is super shallow. Those who have grip issues with shallow rims should probably beware here. Comparisons to the Tern and DDX are obvious. The Grym glides average to above average. I feel like the fade is abrupt/dumpy though. The Grym definitely lacks the effortless, floaty distance of a Tern. The disc does well in calm conditions or tailwinds, but seemed to get overpowered by a headwind. The Grym is a nice disc for shots in the 400' range. Its also not hard to throw. Beginner-intermediate players could use this disc as an intro to fast drivers.

IMO, the deceptive speed is this disc's best attribute. An 11-12 thickness rim that delivers 13 speed.

Grym: 13, 5, -2, 2. I'm going to keep the speed 13. This disc zips when you throw it hard. The only number I changed from the factory numbers was high speed turn. I give it -2, its listed on the disc as -1. The Grym will definitely turn and burn in headwinds or if you get your release angle wrong. It isn't overly flippy though. Lack of late glide hurts overall distance somewhat. For me the Grym was coming up 20' short of a Tern on every throw despite flying almost exactly the same line.

I recommend this disc, but I don't feel its a total game changer.

It's an SLine DDX. The GrymX at least. I get the exact same flight with the grymx as my 3 sline DDX. It's less stable than a DD3 and will not fight a headwind. I've never thrown a TERN but this seems pretty much spot on.

It's an SLine DDX. The GrymX at least. I get the exact same flight with the grymx as my 3 sline DDX. It's less stable than a DD3 and will not fight a headwind. I've never thrown a TERN but this seems pretty much spot on.

I'd say the Grym was closer to a DDX than a Tern. The Tern is a tad flippier, glidier, and longer. In the hand the Grym immediately reminded me of a Tern though. The only thing that really disappointed me in the Grym was the dumpy late fade. The disc slows down fast and just drops. It loses distance by not fading elegantly.

If you haven't thrown a Tern you should. They're probably the longest speed 12 driver I've encountered.

Last edited:
I'd say the Grym was closer to a DDX than a Tern. The Tern is a tad flippier, glidier, and longer. In the hand the Grym immediately reminded me of a Tern though. The only thing that really disappointed me in the Grym was the dumpy late fade. The disc slows down fast and just drops. It loses distance by not fading elegantly.

If you haven't thrown a Tern you should. They're probably the longest speed 12 driver I've encountered.

I'll have to try. I've been a DD3 thrower, and when I got ahold of the flippier Echo DD3, I found that it was the farthest disc i've ever thrown with no headwind. When the prices exploded I tried the Sline and glow DDX, and also the GrymX and it felt different but similar performance so I switched and put my Echo dd3 in storage (since they'll probably be worth hundreds and I also can't replace them). I never tried the Tern just because it has that stigma of being a chicks disc lol. Yet probably the same as the DDX/grymx. I'm an idiot, but i'll try it as this is my biggest gap in my bag. Tailwind, hyzerflip driver that i'm trying many molds out since destroyers are such a crap shoot, and the DD3 is just a tad to stable for it. I wanted to love the Grym but I think your critique is pretty much spot on. It just doesn't have the glide of the S-DDX. It's almost like the most disappointing disc of all time the TL3, IMHO.

I'll have to try. I've been a DD3 thrower, and when I got ahold of the flippier Echo DD3, I found that it was the farthest disc i've ever thrown with no headwind. When the prices exploded I tried the Sline and glow DDX, and also the GrymX and it felt different but similar performance so I switched and put my Echo dd3 in storage (since they'll probably be worth hundreds and I also can't replace them). I never tried the Tern just because it has that stigma of being a chicks disc lol. Yet probably the same as the DDX/grymx. I'm an idiot, but i'll try it as this is my biggest gap in my bag. Tailwind, hyzerflip driver that i'm trying many molds out since destroyers are such a crap shoot, and the DD3 is just a tad to stable for it. I wanted to love the Grym but I think your critique is pretty much spot on. It just doesn't have the glide of the S-DDX. It's almost like the most disappointing disc of all time the TL3, IMHO.

I'd probably put the Tern in my top 3 longest discs. It definitely isn't a headwind disc, but for calm or downwind conditions you'll have a hard time finding anything longer. The disc glides for days and is pretty easy to get up to speed. If you try a Tern, get a heavy star or champion and make sure it has a decent dome.

I'm going to take the Grym out today for some more throws. If I notice anything new/different I'll discuss it here. I like to try to throw a disc on multiple occasions before I come to any hard conclusions on it. I'm going to put the Grym up against a 175g star Tern today. We'll see how it does.

I'll include a 175g S DD3 too. I haven't thrown one of those in a while.

Last edited:
Grym: 13, 5, -2, 2. I'm going to keep the speed 13. This disc zips when you throw it hard. The only number I changed from the factory numbers was high speed turn. I give it -2, its listed on the disc as -1. The Grym will definitely turn and burn in headwinds or if you get your release angle wrong. It isn't overly flippy though. Lack of late glide hurts overall distance somewhat. For me the Grym was coming up 20' short of a Tern on every throw despite flying almost exactly the same ....

K1 plastic breaks in slow. Fresh, my Grym flew slimiar, but after break in, it's a glide monster.
I can diffently throw it farther than a Tern. I don't have your arm speed... I am getting nothing 400 on flat ground.

Took it out of my bag as I like sub 170 drivers.

K1 plastic breaks in slow. Fresh, my Grym flew slimiar, but after break in, it's a glide monster.
I can diffently throw it farther than a Tern. I don't have your arm speed... I am getting nothing 400 on flat ground.

Took it out of my bag as I like sub 170 drivers.

I had the Grym in the field again today against a star Tern. The Tern was still beating it, but not by a ton. I think I get what you're saying about the plastic breaking in. A few times I noticed some really nice glide and penetration with the Grym. I still think they're very similar discs.

One thing about the Grym.... its touchy. If you don't get over on it enough the disc will limply stall out and die. If you flip it over it often won't come back. I found that if I backed off the power with the Grym too much that I'd get nothing. I actually feel its more finicky than the Tern. Every time I really bore down and tried to smash the Grym I ended up flipping it. I still don't feel like I have the disc dialed in yet. Granted, the last 2 times out have been kind of windy and unsettled.

The K1 plastic seems like super durable stuff. I threw the disc into a road today and it had no discernible wear/damage. The plastic really is nice stuff, and feels good in the hand.

Just bought my first one of these. I also think it's similar to a Tern. I also lost it WAY right a couple of time when it encountered some wind. I plan on bagging it a bit because I like the feel and the flight. I have not put a caliper on it, but it doesn't feel like 13 speed. Great driver.

Just bought my first one of these. I also think it's similar to a Tern. I also lost it WAY right a couple of time when it encountered some wind. I plan on bagging it a bit because I like the feel and the flight. I have not put a caliper on it, but it doesn't feel like 13 speed. Great driver.

Grym definitely doesn't fly like a speed 13. 11 or 12, IMO. Average driver. It doesn't do anything extraordinary.

Flies like a flippy Destroyer for me, or even a Wraith.

It doesn't do anything extraordinary.

Flies like a flippy Destroyer for me, or even a Wraith.

I think that's pretty extraordinary. And, not only does it fly like that, it has more glide than either. Tern is its only glide competitor over 9.

Yeah I just got one in k1 and I over threw a purportedly 360' hole (slight downhill) with ease. Probably would have gone farther if the schule didn't stop it. Definitely touchy though.