• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latitude 64°

How (in)consistent are the Opto Saints coming out?

I'm growing rather fond of the one I bought when they first came out and I'd like to know my chances of getting another that is ANYTHING like the one I already have. My Opto Saint gave me the easiest >400' (not downhill or wind assisted) drive I've ever had today. I put it on a anhyzer distance line and it held it almost to the ground.

I have two. One is a 174g Tourney stamp I bought off of Wiggins (I think it's a Worlds stamp) and a 172g regular production sparkle. They both fly the same after I deflashed them. They both pretty much fly -1,2 and 400+ was easy.

Definitely got to deflash, definitely definitely.

I finally got a replacement Opto Pure and today I realized how much I missed it. I even hit the basket sign today on one hole. I love that disc.

I also realized that I am a died in the wool spin putter and that the EZE Pure does that quite well. I still kinda miss Grip and Zero. But we'll see what comes this year. I also hope they mold some mids and drivers in EZE or Firm Zero.

oddly I don't roll with any Lat discs. I would say Vision is the best choice but that is just based on what I've read around here. I may have to get one now.

araytx said:
Which Lat 64 disc to you guys use for rollers?
Caveat: I just started throwing rollers, but the Diamond works nicely (I throw 150s for drivers). Vision should work if you throw heavier discs.

keltik said:
I have two. One is a 174g Tourney stamp I bought off of Wiggins (I think it's a Worlds stamp) and a 172g regular production sparkle. They both fly the same after I deflashed them. They both pretty much fly -1,2 and 400+ was easy.

Have you thrown a Volt? How does it compare to a Saint? Easier to shape lines? More distance potential?

sunspot said:
keltik said:

Have you thrown a Volt? How does it compare to a Saint? Easier to shape lines? More distance potential?

If i have understood correctly i got one of the more understable early manufacture Volts and it is more HSS than my GL Saint 167. No telling if it is flippier than normal. I'm not in love with my individual discs and can't be sure how representative they are of those molds in general. Or the range of variation within that mold.

So I would say it like this: The Saint, if you're skilled enough to throw with some significant hyzer flip action, you'll probably really enjoy the Saint in calm conditions. It's comfortable cause its in that 1.9 cm range, has some great glide, really is sneaky long, and can fly on a very straight line. On the flip side, there are some who would call it "flippy". It will flip over A LOT in a headwind, all but the flat out pro will have shots with it where you don't get the flight you want because you over/under-estimated the amount of hyzer flip on your shot. If a Teebird is a 0 HSS, my Saints are a -1.5. IMO, the cloudy opto ones are more stable than the sparkles. Every sparkle Saint I've thrown was useless to me at 400', just way too much flippage.

Now the Volt... fuck that disc.

edit: OK OK... I'm jaded because the first 3 I bought were all flippy pieces of SHIT. More flippy than a sparkle Saint. Then I got a "good" one that was actually fairly HSS. THAT one I will admit I do like and between that single Volt and my favorite blood Red Saint: Advantage Volt. Mainly because its a bit more versatile. Where the Saint is great at line locking (if you dial that flip in) the Volt can do more. Sorta like the old Eagle vs Teebird argument.

First time poster here, anxious to rally support for a premium plastic Mercy. Who's with me? Also, the only colors for Zero Line Mercys are pink, white, yellow and red correct? <3

Welcome!

I think you are right about the colors. I'd try a premium Mercy for fun. I think though I'm more interested in stiff eze mids and fairway drivers (saint & river). Just my opinion. I love lat and their sister companies.

You won't see any EZE in the future unfortunately, they stopped making it as it apparently didn't work well with wider rimmed discs. Would love an Opto/GL Mercy for driving.