• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for a TeeBird that isn't a TeeBird

Icon Rivals fly like slightly more OS Teebirds, and should break into what you're looking for.

Stalkers are awesome, but nothing like a Teebird. They really are a longer Buzzz. I was always about 20' shorter with them than my Star Teebird on max d lines though. They are just really great for control. Problem is, they are oop in their best plastics right now. (esp and Ti)

I bag several different Teebirds and a TL. The Legacy Rival is very similar to an OS Teebird. It flies like my Glow Champion teebirds. But I bought it try out and it hasn't replaced my Teebirds but similar. I've thrown a Patriot as well and I would say it's closer to a beat in Teebird or TL. And I would also recommend the C-line FD from Discmania. They fly like my beat in Star Teebird. Sort of between Teebird and TL in stability with glide similar to the TL. I haven't tried the FD2 yet, but it might be what you are looking for too.

Stalkers are awesome, but nothing like a Teebird. They really are a longer Buzzz. I was always about 20' shorter with them than my Star Teebird on max d lines though. They are just really great for control. Problem is, they are oop in their best plastics right now. (esp and Ti)

The OP wants longer Buzzz AND shorter PD. That's not an easy thing to do since one mold is stable and the other is pretty seriously overstable in most plastics.

Considering the recent JL TeeBirds have been praised for being good TeeBirds, I don't see why the OP doesn't just buy a stack and have them to throw for a good long while. Buying into the 11X this/PFN that is just a good way to spend extra money on something most people won't see any difference from.

The OP wants longer Buzzz AND shorter PD. That's not an easy thing to do since one mold is stable and the other is pretty seriously overstable in most plastics.

Considering the recent JL TeeBirds have been praised for being good TeeBirds, I don't see why the OP doesn't just buy a stack and have them to throw for a good long while. Buying into the 11X this/PFN that is just a good way to spend extra money on something most people won't see any difference from.

Except for Orcs...LoL. Fortunately I've got enough to last me a LONGggggg time.

2nd Run C-line FD

FD2 C-line

both by discmania, both fly like awesome sauce teebirds.

Definitely this . BUT, OOP.. You can still find these most places online I believe... But if I couldn't throw 2nd run c-fd's, I would probably be throwing rivals, servos, or FD2s like Eddie suggested.

I don't understand why you think you need oop teebirds to do that. The teebirds that are out right now are great, and the gstar teebird is basically exactly what you described immediately out of the box.

The new jl and star tb are actually fairly overstable and I cannot flip them for the life of me. Once they season they'll be perfect.

I guess if you are afraid of your own lack of self control it can't be helped. :p

Try a pinnacle patriot or an icon patriot if the teebird is a for sure no go. They are great hyzerflip drivers and take a good amount of power. Pinnacle patriots, especially the flatter gummy ones at lighter weights, are great drivers. I always just used an icon though, they are slightly less stable in my experience. They can bomb, too. First driver I ever threw 400'.

If you want a beefy teebird, get a Legend or Pinnacle Rival (Aqua Blue ones seem most stable).

If you want a teebird clone, get a red Icon Rival

If you want a seasoned teebird, get a Legend Patriot.

Icon will start out slightly less stable than Legend and Pinnacle as a general rule of thumb. But obviously things can be slightly different from run to run, this is just based on the ones i have.

If you want a beefy teebird, get a Legend or Pinnacle Rival (Aqua Blue ones seem most stable).

If you want a teebird clone, get a red Icon Rival

If you want a seasoned teebird, get a Legend Patriot.

Icon will start out slightly less stable than Legend and Pinnacle as a general rule of thumb. But obviously things can be slightly different from run to run, this is just based on the ones i have.

Yea, but I have a couple Eagle-esque Rivals. Which is part of the reason I stopped looking for a non-teebird teebird and tried the new runs.

Yea, but I have a couple Eagle-esque Rivals. Which is part of the reason I stopped looking for a non-teebird teebird and tried the new runs.

Yea there are some icons/pinnacles i have found to have some more High speed turn than usual, but its pretty rare lately. I have not found a Legend rival that has turn out of the box though, they are all pretty stable and consistent especially at max weight.

The Aqua blue pinnacle rival 174g i picked up a couple weeks ago is the most stable pinnacle rival i have found, almost as stable as my gstar firebird.

Last edited:
Would FD2s not do the trick? Seems to be a safe bet, and if you like them there is currently only one run available so it should be easy to horde.

Closest thing to a Teebird is a Teebird. Nothing compares.

Truth. JL (Or Brinster or Avery Star) for beef, Stars are nice stable flyers, G*s are exactly what you're looking for out of the box, and DX will quickly break into late-turning glidey goodness.

An Ascent might work, but Teebirds are really in a league of their own. Rivals aren't anything close to a Teebird, don't let the Legacy fans fool you. It's a great disc but it's not a Teebird clone by any means. Seems silly to not try Teebirds because you're afraid you're going to buy an expensive one but whatever, that's your business.

Bottom line is a lot of people have tried to copy the Teebird. No one has done it.

An Ascent might work, but Teebirds are really in a league of their own. Rivals aren't anything close to a Teebird, don't let the Legacy fans fool you. It's a great disc but it's not a Teebird clone by any means. Seems silly to not try Teebirds because you're afraid you're going to buy an expensive one but whatever, that's your business.

Bottom line is a lot of people have tried to copy the Teebird. No one has done it.

The right rival is a teebird clone, the problem is that there are so many plastics and each color within the plastics is different on top of it.. Thats why i only buy one color of one type of plastic and i never have problems.

I have a Red Icon Rival that is as close as you could possibly get to a teebird without being a teebird though.

I didn't understand any River to Teebird comparison until I beat my DX Teebird to a turnover/flip driver. River can do what a beat Teebird can, but don't expect it to handle any wind.

I would recommend the Discmania FD Jackal. The S-line will be like a worn in Teebird...very straight overall like you want. As it beats in, it starts acting just like opto River because it gains a lot of turn (where the opto River stays pretty similar, it seems). Also you can get a C-line FD to pair it with, I haven't thrown one but that should handle a more stable slot if the S-line gets too turny. The FD also has great glide, it bombs for a fairway driver. If you want workable Teebird (read: seasoned) type fairways, I would highly recommend the FD.

For reference I am talking about 340-370' fairway drives so right where you are asking about. River and FD both power down for straight shots around 300' if you need a low tunnel shot.

I have come across a few very flat max weight XLs that perform like Teebirds. They were nice but it was in Elite Z plastic (the type of plastic you can see through very easily like Innova's jolly launcher plastic) and though the durability is great, the grip in all weather conditions for me is not so great other than warm dry weather. XL's are nice and can fly very far with control, but their stability varies in the many different types of plastics with how they mold up.