• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for a TeeBird that isn't a TeeBird

I've been rolling 175g JL Champion TB & a 170g P Crave. This duo makes for an abundance of straight lines with a little wiggle either way. I love both of these drivers.

I read through the thread and here is recommendation #6 for the Patriot.

They aren't cheap but the pro shop Pro Gazelles are pretty nice. Nice and stable and flat (mine is at least). Only thrown one of the nice old Gazelles once and the Pro flies similar if I remember correctly.

Other than that I am gonna say find a production run Teebird you like. Patriots are nice but don't handle wind like a Gaz or Teebird and stay straight.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Yes, I could just throw a TeeBird, but I just don't want to be "one of those TeeBird guys". Maybe I'm a rebel without a cause, but I think there are enough brands and models out there, I can find other options.

I noticed a lot of recommendations on the following:

FDs and FD2s: I have a S-FD and a C-FD, I'll be putting them back in the bag. I think the FDs are a lot like TLs, and the FD2 more like a TeeBird, but it takes so long to break those C-lines in.
Stalker: LOVE this disc, but the one I have is Z, its not hit the sweet spot yet.
Patriot: just bought one off the marketplace, really excited about this one, I haven't thrown Legacy yet.
River: I understand this is more understable right out of the box, but perhaps with the high end plastic I'll get a good run out of it and end up with a tailwind driver or roller. I've got my eye on one in the marketplace and I'll probably pull the trigger after I post :D
XL: I've got an "Elite Pro" XL, I believe these are OOP, but SO money.

I'm going to dedicate half my bag to fairway drivers now, different molds and plastics, and see what becomes my "go-to". I think I just love fairway drivers in general. I threw my DX Gazelle over 400' in a tailwind, and my home course tops out at 378' off the tee, so its really building my confidence and my form to "disc down".

Can anyone comment on Legacy plastics? Can you compare their Icon, Legend, and Pinnacle plastics to Z/Champion, ESP/Star, and Elite X/Pro plastics?

These are just what they're closest to. They certainly aren't identical
Legend = way better but looks like Gold Line - too firm to be like G*
Icon = Star but way better
Pinnacle = Champ - can be anywhere from pearly like 11X KC Pro to clear like JL
Protege = KC Pro
Gravity = JK Pro - like the firmer blends
Excel = DX

I read through the thread and here is recommendation #6 for the Patriot.

Just want to emphasize that I recommend Legend plastic, the Icon is less stable and has some turn out of the box, where as a Legend Patriot is like a 0 HSS 2 LSS out of the box, the blue ones are amazing. They hold straight lines forever and sneaky long.

The jls is an awesome option, and the more stable version the veteran. The jls will start out as a slight flip up in base plastic but the qjls will have some stability to it.

If you want a beefy teebird, get a Champ Teebird

If you want a teebird clone, get a Teebird

If you want a seasoned teebird, get a Teebird and season it or try a TL.
Fixed this to remove In4D's Legacy jock-riding and reflect the most accurate truth.

If you want to experiment with other brands that's great, but don't go expecting an exact correlation from brand to brand. As so many others have said, the new runs of Teebird are the closest thing to the older runs. If you really don't want to throw Teebirds you can try some of the other discs mentioned here, but only a Teebird is a Teebird.

These are just what they're closest to. They certainly aren't identical
Legend = way better but looks like Gold Line - too firm to be like G*
Icon = Star but way better
Pinnacle = Champ - can be anywhere from pearly like 11X KC Pro to clear like JL
Protege = KC Pro
Gravity = JK Pro - like the firmer blends
Excel = DX

Thanks! The one I just bought from the marketplace is Icon, I think it will give me a good starting point, and I can decide if I want to chase down some Legend or Pinnacle. I'm unfamiliar with Legacy, I'm glad they have more plastic options, since that's the easiest way to get a variety of stabilities out of the same mold.

If you want to experiment with other brands that's great, but don't go expecting an exact correlation from brand to brand. As so many others have said, the new runs of Teebird are the closest thing to the older runs. If you really don't want to throw Teebirds you can try some of the other discs mentioned here, but only a Teebird is a Teebird.

Well, I'm just using TeeBird as the standard fairway driver, what I'm looking for is a speed 6, 7, or 8 driver that is overstable, but not a meathook. So the Saint Pro, FD2, Gazelle, and others fall into this category, I just wanted to get some input as to what else is out there. I think more people swear by the TeeBird because 10 years ago there was Innova and Discraft, and the TeeBird made a name for itself. I don't need something that is EXACTLY a TeeBird, I need a legit fairway driver that is in the ballpark of 0 HSS and 2-3 LSS, that is available in several plastics. My beat up P-line PD is going past the basket when it flexes out on a huge "S", so my bag needs something slower.

The jls is an awesome option, and the more stable version the veteran. The jls will start out as a slight flip up in base plastic but the qjls will have some stability to it.

Thanks, I'll see if anyone I know has one to try out. I'm not big on Millenium, but their QOLFs are a great disc, really close to PDs.

Thanks! The one I just bought from the marketplace is Icon, I think it will give me a good starting point, and I can decide if I want to chase down some Legend or Pinnacle. I'm unfamiliar with Legacy, I'm glad they have more plastic options, since that's the easiest way to get a variety of stabilities out of the same mold.

Not to confuse you, but color matters with Legacy as much as plastic. Certain colors have more/less stability than others, not to mention different flexibilities.

yeah. There are so many variations in the colors and firmness, slickness and dome and all sorts of crap with rivals and patriots. In general I say just buy an icon rival or patriot because that plastic seems waaaaaay more consistent than pinnacle. Otherwise I just aim for the light, gummy pinnacle. Typically around 167-171g. It feels the best, it flies the best too IMO.

Salient Flatline is pretty nice and Teebirdish.

I don't understand why you think you need oop teebirds to do that. The teebirds that are out right now are great, and the gstar teebird is basically exactly what you described immediately out of the box.

The new jl and star tb are actually fairly overstable and I cannot flip them for the life of me. Once they season they'll be perfect.

I guess if you are afraid of your own lack of self control it can't be helped. :p

Try a pinnacle patriot or an icon patriot if the teebird is a for sure no go. They are great hyzerflip drivers and take a good amount of power. Pinnacle patriots, especially the flatter gummy ones at lighter weights, are great drivers. I always just used an icon though, they are slightly less stable in my experience. They can bomb, too. First driver I ever threw 400'.

I must say that I was a firm believer in the 11x CAL's for the last year, mainly because of the consistent flatter shape that fit my hand better and the perfect flight path that didn't change everytime it hit a tree. I had a couple different 12x Teebirds before this and I was not satisfied, flippy and domey, super stiff slippery plastic.

BUT.... I went to GGGT a couple weeks back and bought one of the new jolly launcher Teebirds they had on the shelf and immediately sold 2 of my 4 11x CAL's. It's not exact same but close enough and a much better plastic than anything I bought last summer in Champion. Looking into G* to replace my Dx birds that I go through so fast.

Really, in my opinion, anyone that asks "I'm looking for a Teebird BUT..." the answer is usually just a Teebird.

Got to play today with 10 different fairway drivers, and a friend let me throw his Thunderbird... Thst has got to be one of the best discs right out the box I've thrown in a while. But still too fast, it's like a PD that's starting to break in.

Z Tracker was really nice, barely used. I think I threw it too hard, though, I'm so used to the PD, which takes greater arm speed to get the most out of it.

Saint Pro did fine in a headwind, maybe better after some use. I wish they made it in mid grade plastic :(

G* TeeBird3 had very little turn, nice glide, then some more glide, then a moderate fade. It threw the same forehand and backhand.

I may add a couple TeeBirds to the testers once I've weeded some out, just to give it a fair shot. The only one I've got now is a super stiff FAF Star 12x, that's all I can say about it cause frankly I don't want to keep up with versions of TeeBird any more than I want to keep up with versions of Apple devices :p

Sounds like Patriots and Rivals have a healthy cult following, not unlike PDs. Anyone got a Rival suiting around that needs a new home?

yeah. There are so many variations in the colors and firmness, slickness and dome and all sorts of crap with rivals and patriots. In general I say just buy an icon rival or patriot because that plastic seems waaaaaay more consistent than pinnacle. Otherwise I just aim for the light, gummy pinnacle. Typically around 167-171g. It feels the best, it flies the best too IMO.

That has pros and cons. On the one hand, slight variations encourage one to learn the nuances and select certain discs based on those differences, especially when it comes to wind. On the other hand... Too much to keep track of is why I don't like TeeBirds.

Thanks for the tip!

Have you considered picking up a current run DX banshee in the same weight you throw zelles? See what you think after a few tree whacks or some road rash. Then you could throw in a champ banshee and a DX teebird to round out the spectrum.

That has pros and cons. On the one hand, slight variations encourage one to learn the nuances and select certain discs based on those differences, especially when it comes to wind. On the other hand... Too much to keep track of is why I don't like TeeBirds.

Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome, see I am a former wizard user who loves that plastic variation....in putters it's good, in drivers it is a pain because of the plh. Current teebirds are consistent. Legacy's drivers are not, at least pinnacle seems to have a crapton of variation.

But as long as you sort of know what to look for it's a start. It's why I eventually wound up throwing those specific pinnacle weights and finally changed to all icon for both the rival and patriot.

They are a fantastic one two punch.