• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man, I do need an overstable midrange!

latitude

Eagle Member
So, here's the deal. I throw DX Rocs and really likes 'em. But in big headwinds I feel they don't hold up very good. I believe a Champion Roc would be great but they are so damn expensive and hard to find. So, I need an overstable midrange that can handle some headwind, but still have some glide to it, which means not the Gator :lol:

I've tried Z/ESP wasps, but they aren't as overstable to me as they "supposted" to be, many of my friends agree with me here. Z Wasps aren't very overstable.

11x Rocs are hard to come by, and I dislike the grip in those 12-times. Super Rocs can't handle headwinds as I want's them to do.

I've thinking of the E Element-X, will that disc solve my problem? Demons are not possible to buy from here so that's not an good option.

How overstable will a FLX Drone be? Do they have any glide?

help pls

You want a lot of glide into a big headwind? Wouldn't the disc glide away in the wind? Just kidding, I think I know what you are talking about.

Anyway, I'd say a Drone or maybe the Sentinel if the Z Wasp wasn't overstable enough and you can't get a Demon. Of course, I don't consider the Demon to have a lot of glide. Could possibly try a Blaze. Pretty overstable little disc that still has some carry to it. But then you are moving up to overstable fairway type drivers like a Whippet or Viper.

A drone is a pig! my pro-d is money, but lacks glide. I just got a flx drone and it seems to have more glide mut it needs beat in some, it won't flatten out at all!

actually, a mrx (oop) are overstable and have good glide, but they are oop, but available if you look hard enough.

If a Z/ESP wasp isn't overstable enough for the headwind you should just throw a stable driver for the shot at that point.

Don't get an EX though, I have never found one more stable than a Z wasp.

A Q sentinal is a good suggestion.

i agree w/ the q sentinel.....funny thing about he Q sentinel...it feels almost identical to a proline cobra...however one is straight..one is overstable.

The feel/grip of the Q Sentinel....yummy

Innova is supposed to release the Pig sometime this month (according to Dave Dunipace). It is supposed to be pretty overstable- hold out for that disc!

The Zone is also coming out soon. This is inbetween a Wasp and Drone in stability and is fast and glidey

There really is no such thing as an over-stable disc with glide. That's the point of it being over-stable.

Your best bet would be to go with a drone, it probably has the most "glide" for an overstable midrange, if you are set on a midrange.

Even better yet, learn to throw your over-stable driver as a midrange. It will make your game better, and make you less dependent on a single mold to be a one trick pony.

dgdave said:
The Zone is also coming out soon. This is inbetween a Wasp and Drone in stability and is fast and glidey

Not very fast or glidey if you ask me!

Sentinel are Blaze is what I used to like best.

I use my pro Rhyno for alot of approaches. Namely windy and hyzer approaches up to 250 or so, but I've started using it for shorter anni approaches recently, within 100 feet it doesn't usually have time to come back from an anni release, and finishes fairly level. Holds whatever line it is put on when thrown with 150+ feet of force. I'm most always throwing to the basket with this disc, namely because its slow and has no glide, helping it to sit more predictably.

The pig sounds nice, but I would think the Gator is enough. I'll likely stick with the Rhyno for now, I like throwing slow discs to the basket. A reason why I use my Roc mainly for long approaches and turnovers I can't reach with my Aviar. I got actually got a Rhyno because I couldn't throw my Roc reliably into a wind. Yeah I'm biased but it worked for me.

I agree that if the Z Wasp isn't overstable enough for what you want, then you don't really want an overstable midrange. The E Element-X won't be any better than the Wasp. My advice is to get your very overstable driver to work for you.

If, after you can pull all the shots you need with it, you want something for this slot, I'll agree that a Blaze would work well but you could also try a Whippet if they're more available.

So, yeah, nothing original, just seconding others' opinions.