• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

My first attempt at this technique
1stMarble.jpg

^^^^looks awesome!

trying my first dye today with this technique on an old Roc i have. we'll see what happens. I didn't use much dye and didn't go all out on the disc, just want to see how it transfers. I'll post pics too.

thanks for the abundance of information everyone :thmbup:

:|

well not going to bother with a pic of a white disc. RIT didn't hold after 9 hours on pro plastic. serial stamp 31510. i bought some pink and black too, -09 serials. so maybe i can make a pink black marble.

:|

well not going to bother with a pic of a white disc. RIT didn't hold after 9 hours on pro plastic. serial stamp 31510. i bought some pink and black too, -09 serials. so maybe i can make a pink black marble.

Pro doesn't take the Shaving cream technique. No body dyes pro plastic

heheh couldn't spit it out fast enuf...

What he said, don't waste your time and effort on Pro plastic.

Nothing too special here but I thought my colors turned out pretty well. I used scarlet, royal blue, kelly green, tangerine, and sunshine yellow.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 191
just bought some barbasol and plastic cups giving this marble technique a try today hopefully i can get it to set before i play today in below 50 degree weather..gotta love michigan disc golf

giving this marble technique a try today

So am I!

I'm doing a test run on a white AR2010 disc right at this time. I think my s.c. was under par (kind of runny), as the dye immediately somewhat mixed with the cream... I donno if that is normal. Was certainly unexpected. Might be why it needs the extended setting time. The dye its self did hold it's place however. Maybe I'm just being overly-critical at this time. I did skim the thread, and remember seeing something about someone using the cream runny.

We'll see in a few hours.

Runny dye/cream blend isn't too bad. It just makes for a softer, more blended transition between colors, and more blending of the colors. It usually ends up looking pretty good for me. I typically just squirt the premixed dye/water that I use for dip-dyeing onto the shaving cream and swirl it around.

Love it Zboaz, the radial pattern looks really good on a disc and I think the grains add an interesting texture. I'm thrilled seeing more people playing in the shaving cream!

Dan - Is there much difference in color intensity for an 8 hour dye time versus significantly longer (20+ hours). I have a Medium Ion sitting in some shaving cream and want a nice dark color. Didn't know if it mattered if I took it out tomorrow morning or tomorrow evening. Thanks.

IMHO, if you've done everything right you should be able to have a good soft color in about an hour and strong color by 8 hrs, just depends on how dark you want it. That said, the extended (>20hrs) doesn't hurt anything and if you've got anything to light in your mixes it may be what'll save ya. It's unfortunate that this method doesn't allow for a quik peek to check the color!

Thanks for the info. I haven't really tried any with an 8 hour or less wait time and wasn't sure what the result would be as far as color intensity. This is for my Octhrowberfest entry and want it to turn out well. I didn't have time to mess with it this morning so it is still sitting in the shaving cream,

Has anyone tried using the absorbent pellets that are inside disposable diapers (and no, I did not search, sue me)? I was also thinking about that stuff they sell at nurseries for potted plants (similar pellet stuff that absorbs water and slowly releases it into the soil)...
Just an idea while I'm eating lunch...

For those that are using the idye poly, are you mixing the die with shaving cream as you did with the Rit?

I tried the iDye poly and wanted a soft marble, also did a very intense one. Worked better in my opinion than RIT ever did for me. Took 1 1/2 in the shaving cream to get colors.

Attachments

• skulldye.jpg
    skulldye.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 181