• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Matrix

Both of my circuit matrices 175g The blue one has plasma blend of proton!

Attachments

• 20161213_133459.jpg
    20161213_133459.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 56
I'll +1 MikeC on the flickability of this mold. It's its best feature, IMO. It wasn't an Axis killer for me, ultimately, but it's in the bag for the buttery FHs.

I also agree that it has more distance potential than the Axis class, for me it does, just in my case not enough to create a new slot, so to speak.

I'm still a huge fan of the matrix. I love the way it feels in the hand and like others have said its great for flicks and is very reliable and versatile. Took it out of the bag for winter though, and just run the soft neutron envy for the grip.

I'm still not sold on the Matrix. I was hoping it would replace my Verdict, but the Verdict really does everything better. It's just as fast, keeps more HSS and in my opinion, flicks better than the Matrix.

I'm still not sold on the Matrix. I was hoping it would replace my Verdict, but the Verdict really does everything better. It's just as fast, keeps more HSS and in my opinion, flicks better than the Matrix.

When I had a Matrix, I carried it along side my Verdict. They were very different.

Still not as OS as advertised.

I smell a retool. How is this suppose to be MVPs most OS mold when the tensor and vector clearly gotz da beefier legs.

I'd rather them make a new mold than adjust the Matrix. Not as OS as I expected but I think its more useful on the course that way. I find more lines like you see in the video than I do hard dumping turns. Also it can't be overstated how nice the rim shape is for flicks.

MVP advertises it as a longer Envy, and I find it close enough to that description. Did they ever describe it as more OS than a Tensor?

I'd rather them make a new mold than adjust the Matrix. Not as OS as I expected but I think its more useful on the course that way. I find more lines like you see in the video than I do hard dumping turns. Also it can't be overstated how nice the rim shape is for flicks.

MVP advertises it as a longer Envy, and I find it close enough to that description. Did they ever describe it as more OS than a Tensor?
Yep. In all their initial ads it was said to be their most overstable mid-range yet. A lot of websites still have that stock description up.

It is still listed as more OS vs vector on their website even with updated marketing description which i dont find true. Its more like a puddle top/seasoned vector in the LSS.

From Infinite Discs' description:
"The Matrix is the most overstable GYRO™ midrange to date, designed from overwhelming demand by loytal MVP disc fans. It is a fast and smooth large-diameter midrange driver with responsive overstable flight for a broad power spectrum. This was the mid-range disc released for the 2016 MVP Circuit."

Now a case could be made that the Tensor is a "tweener" discs and not a true mid-range, but I still found the one Vector I own to be more overstable than my three Matrices. Stability is a weird spectrum though, and I feel the Matrix might resist turn a little more than the Vector, but Ive also had that Vector for at least 5 years.

I was looking for the old verbiage in the thread. Nice.

The huge bead on the vector certainly is noy as oat or FH friendly.

Hmm, been a while since I've thrown Tensors, but I seem to recall them being noticeably more overstable. Strange. I'd say the flight of mine matches their current description more than that older one:

The Matrix is designed to resist turnover for all power levels and situations, and its stability is best described as a longer Axiom Envy. Matrix should have a long straight travel for most throwers, followed by a dependable fade. While this is not a "meathook" style overstable midrange, its utility is not to be underestimated. Release angles make all the difference with this type of midrange, yielding useful flights on releases from anhyzer to flat and hyzer.

The description reads more like a Roc flight path than a Zone

Throwing the flat eclipse Vector I was bagging against my Matrix, the Vector feels like its got more HSS, and flies a tick slower. Matrix has a little less HSS, similar LSS if not a touch more, and flies faster. The rim shape also works better for skips, the Matrix skips further and more consistently than the Vector for me.

Last edited:
Even though the Matrix didn't work out as the OS disc they advertised, it ended up being arguably their best midrange.

Even though the Matrix didn't work out as the OS disc they advertised, it ended up being arguably their best midrange.

This. Of the three being discussed, my Tensor is the most OS. I bought my Vector used, and it just isn't all that different from the Axis Ihad.

That's kind of sad if it's really their best mid. It was fun to toss around, but it didn't come close to finding a spot in the bag. Not sure I'd trust it when the wind starts blowing.

I will say that the Circuit I played at, we had some pretty blustery wind that day. The Matrix was pretty solid in the HSS department out there. Luckily, since the other 2 discs are pretty fliptastic even in 0 wind.

But you definitely couldn't count on a ton of fade from it, especially longer shots.

What kept it from taking over as my primary mid is that it seems to be seasoning into less HSS. So the "longer Envy" comparison seems to maybe be breaking down there. If it seasoned like an Envy, it would be in my bag, no doubt, stealing not only mid- but some FW shots. (I'm throwing it about 300, maybe a hair longer. It's about .5-1 putting circle longer than the Axis for me.)

I can't completely leave it in the garage, though, because of how great it is for FH approaches too long for a comfortable Envy but not so long that I need to use a driver.

^All that is to say, I just love and am too attached to the Axis to knock it out for a disc that appears to be seasoning into something pretty similar.

Some of that could be that the 2 I have are pretty clear P, and I really like throwing Eclipse in the woods, and not waste as much time kicking around in the weeds.

Eclipse Matrix needs to happen ASAP, my tune could change.