• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maxing out @ 300ft...

jubuttib said:
black udder said:
Notice where the disc is, where his feet are and where his shoulders are at this point in the throw. ... but this is kinda where you wanna be.

QFT. I tried lowering my arm to that level and instantly started to feel the elbow chop and overall snap better. I can now throw 350' with almost zero effort and out of the about 30 throws I had time to throw before the parking lot lights turned off only 2 didn't go exactly where I wanted them to go (and they were only about 15' feet or so off the line (@ 330' distance). Also made it really easy to hit the nose down angle better.

I have been trying to get my pull line lower (see my video critique thread) and have been really concentrating on keeping my forearm parallel to the ground throughout the pull. Seeing that picture of Feldberg makes me think that maybe I should let my wrist be lower than my elbow instead of trying to keep my forearm so flat. I too have been having some problems with OAT and go for stretches where I am flipping everything that I intend to have come out flat. The flight reminds me when I was at my worse strong-arming stage, but I now have a much later pull so it's a new thing that is causing it. I didn't think to try to have my forearm pointing down, but it is worth trying out to see the effect.

I've got this same problem, but throwing forehand. I strong-arm the disc to the point where my arm hurts after only 9 holes or 10 minutes throwing in a field. From what I've been reading on this post, it sounds like the drill for backhand might be applicable to forehand as well. A guy I played with the other night had me start off standing shoulders lined up with the basket (sideways) arm limp, then suddenly twist my hips till my chest was facing the basket, and naturally my arm would follow in a whipping motion, leading with the elbow. Like snapping a towel, but powering with your hips. The one thing I'm not sure of with this is what to do with my legs. We didn't get that far. I want to take a step just before i snap my torso to the front, but it always feels awkward

This thread is gold for FH:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15693

I - like a lot of other beginners from a baseball background - was naturally good at the forehand. Following this guys instruction about how to get the legs into it gave more power. I had discs turning late in flight that used to be straight flyers for me!

evansr10 said:
I've got this same problem, but throwing forehand. I strong-arm the disc to the point where my arm hurts after only 9 holes or 10 minutes throwing in a field. From what I've been reading on this post, it sounds like the drill for backhand might be applicable to forehand as well. A guy I played with the other night had me start off standing shoulders lined up with the basket (sideways) arm limp, then suddenly twist my hips till my chest was facing the basket, and naturally my arm would follow in a whipping motion, leading with the elbow. Like snapping a towel, but powering with your hips. The one thing I'm not sure of with this is what to do with my legs. We didn't get that far. I want to take a step just before i snap my torso to the front, but it always feels awkward

I have a 150 Star Teebird that I really like for forehands. It's really easy to overpower and strong arm it into the ground so I have to concentrate more on the mechanics that lead to good snap. Of course I only throw it 250-275' so I might not be the best person to listen to.

evansr10 said:

not sure what you mean by strong arm until your arm hurts, but it sounds like you're using too much arm to throw a forehand. when I see people on the course turning over all their forhands into rollers, its usually because they hold on to the disc and they are throwing with their arm, so they the disc just topples over as their arm comes through. i love to equate the forehand to a racquetball kill shot, if youve ever played racquetball. You wait for the ball to get as close to the ground as you can, then you just drive it forward at the last second. When I throw my long forhand flat shots, i just visualize down the fairway the line I want to throw on, and then just focus on the hyzer release of the discs on that line, and all of the distance comes from having a loose wrist and keeping the nose of the disc flat and hyzered. The main thing for the distance is the wrist has to be loose and let the disc whip out.

alot of my friends including myself, all played ultimate frisbee before disc golf, and we all seem to be strong forehand throwers. if you can play catch with an ultimate disc using your forehand and getting the disc to come out of your hand with no wobblle, just smooth flight right out of your hand, then you will probably know what it feels like at the hit on a forehand drive, it is very similar. Use lots of loose wrist snap.

I took some video this past weekend at a pro tournament. Following is a link to a video of Josh Anthon driving a long tunnel hole...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mavfH0MO-Fk

...he was throwing a domey Star Wraith. This reminded me of all the discussion on this thread. Josh's form is highly efficient, he is all levers and hinges, and his body positions are well set up to generate late acceleration/snap.

Any possibility of getting that as a standard download? I'd like to see it frame by frame.

there all sorts of ways to save youtube videos... on mac i like tubesock but ymmv.

nice example, jhern -- shows the disc in tight to the chest, elbow pointing at the target, toe->heel pivot, weight forward, etc.

Question: according to Keltik's diagram/discussion with Blake, the arm is not supposed to be fully extended (this is mentioned in the articles on the main site as well). Are you supposed to stiffen/stop the arm/extension as you go into the follow through to help facilitate the wrist extention? Obviously the arm continues to move, but do you STOP it from extending all the way as you pull?

mark12b said:
nice example, jhern -- shows the disc in tight to the chest, elbow pointing at the target, toe->heel pivot, weight forward, etc.

Yeah, this really turned out to be a nice angle to film his throw. In the frame-by-frame version I notice all sorts of things in his motion that I've never thought about before, and maybe new things to try...

For one, notice how Josh kicks his right heel out/up ahead of his toes as he is moving forward, and this forces his hips closed, but when his right foot comes down it rotates back to point ~85 degrees (to the target) and this goes with opening of the hips.

Another thing, notice how the disc is oriented nose down from the reach back, still nose down (even more) into the chest, and through to the release the nose is always down. Down down down down. Cool.

And another thing, his grip just going into the hit shows his index finger is straight out of the hand, out to the first from top knuckle, then bent back under the rim from there, while his other fingers are tucked in at the top knuckle. His thumb is right over the tip of the index finger.

And another thing, he pivots on his heel, but his back foot pushes off the inside edge of his foot down through his toes. This kick coincides exactly in time with the hit. Then his plant foot shifts onto the ball and he spins forward off the tee, seems like you need proper weight forward just to pull this off.

I could go on forever...

mark12b said:
there all sorts of ways to save youtube videos...
There was a thread on here that listed some nice programs that did just that. I have a PC, what seems to be the best programs for this?

Blake_T said:
building off Brad's throwing a hammer idea, pick up a pen or pencil and hold it at one end and backhand it across the room (you don't need to use much if any torso rotation for this). try to make the pen fly straight ahead with a lot of zip. i'm 99% certain you will fling the pen without your elbow straightening all the way but you will likely have tons of wrist extension.

part of timing means you have to allow for certain motions to happen when they should and not trying to force an absolute body position without regard to the flow of the disc.

tossing a pen/pencil a dozen times or should probably give you a rough idea of how much the elbow will want to straighten (keeping in mind a larger mass object will make it straighten a bit more than the pen) in order to facilitate wrist extension.

always remember that it's how you impart the forces you generate onto the disc that are more important than any body position.

Wow. I think I have been messing around with throwing pencils for a while as an easy training method from here in the office. Well, after a co-worker making fun of me today, i thought i would fake him out and act like i was going to throw the pencil at him. Loose grip on the pencil, reached back to right pec and then "Let `er Rip! Only i tried to hold tight to the pencil at the very last second.

Felt great. Didn't realize that is where i want to be bearing down last second. Can't wait to try this later tonight after work with some plastic.

Its going to be Epic.

Felt great. Didn't realize that is where i want to be bearing down last second. Can't wait to try this later tonight after work with some plastic.

Its going to be Epic.

let us know how it works. you pretty much figured out one of the big lessons that can be learned from that exercise.

WOW! That's one of the many words I can use to describe this thread guys. When I asked a simple question, I never though it would get so in-depth and help so many poeple! I have been keeping up with this thread since day 1 and trying to soak it in piece by piece instead of trying too much too quick. I can honestly say that the tips and awesome exercises yall have donated have help my game improve drastically. Not only am I throwing in the 350' range, I am more importantly parking more and more shots around the basket. Its getting to be perfect weather out there and its only up from here on out! Thanks to all who have chipped in and dont let me stop yall from keeping the great posts comin'.

Holy @#$%!!!

Wow. I can honestly say that I have never felt like I had such control over a disc and how much snap i can generate!

I had to basically club up on a few discs since some of my more "tuned" discs were getting a little squirley on me. Not a bad thing. Not at all. Manged to bang out a 500foot hyzer flip shot with a mildly beaten wraith. Just got up to flat and took off.

Even the guys I were playing with, who i play with frequently, noticed that I was busting out some very accurate and very high speed shots. And the spin! I have never had a long distance hyzer shot hit the ground and start to roll back towards the tee box! I think they were all trying to throw pencils or sharpies by the end of the round.

This has got me really stoked and I cant wait to play again tomorrow! I think this might be what finally gets me to a 500foot flat and straight throw. This and wrist and hand strength training. I dont think i have every felt this much control and power before. I need to get some footage of my throw up after Bowling Green Ams and get my form critiqued. Im not sure that I was chopping my elbow much before today and i could really tell that I was chopping the elbow while trying to "catch the pencil" as I guess you would call it.

Tomorrow im heading to an open course just so i can throw some rollers and see what they do!

Sorry if im overtly excited.
I havent had a real game-changing break through really in almost a 2 years when i first broke the 400 foot flat golf shot.

Since that time, i have gone through many changes in form.
I started by working from a standstill shot to slowly incorporating steps until i got to a very slow and smooth 3 and a half x-step throwing form.

From there I began to rework my throw mechanics. I have a very natural slight hyzer to my throws so I decided to take advantage of that power range. I went from a very Scott Stokley-esqe and the sling shot method to a Ken Climo inspired throw. Accuracy went up, power went down. Focused on trying to get the power back by doing a little Feldberg style. Power came back, accuracy on disc angles went away. Brought in a little Steve Brinster bent elbow. Power was great. Felt effortless, and could really control disc angle. Lost my flight lines. Switched to a Carolina style bent elbow and got the flight line back but lost the power. Tried doing like Nikko does, with the no point arm locked, cocked, and ready to rock style. Got the most power out of all the forms. Clean lines on hyzers and anhyzers. Even had a few splash outs and a bunch of near aces. Only issue was everthing was coming out at 2 o`clock instead of 12 o`clock. Tried to compensate with my angle on the TeePad, but i just couldn't do it. First real disc golf techniques i got from Scott Stokely's book, and i just really understand and love the idea behind the sling shot technique. I have to throw on a line and dont like having to throw in to a line.

Got to thinking about it and Barry Schultz does this sort of reach on this throw. Unlike some pros, he reaches towards 10 o`clock, back to 6 o`clock, then comes out on 12 o`clock. Tried it just once and it was like night and day. Been throwing it for 3 days now and I have to say it is working great for me. Power, Angle Control, Accuracy, Distance... now to master the form.

Then, today i figure out about when to really try to grip the disc at the last second...

Im simply estatic. Only now i feel that my sidearm is lacking. Got to start reworking the accuracy on it.

Im not going to mess with my style or technique anymore unti after Bowling Green. Count on seeing some footage after that. I want to see what other little stuff im missing.

Latest posts