• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mud Run - through our course!

mud runs are becoming all the rage. im signed up for one in may but its in a motocross track

Try to imagine your standard 5K running track with a muddy course and obstacle stations built in.

Okay....:\

Is it just for the novelty of it? Or is it because the mud surface offers a superior work out? Or something else entirely?

And people do this year round? Or is it muddied up, and then sodded over when their done?

They're seriously considering ripping out TREES in order to put in a mud track? :doh:

I noticed the entry fees on there. What do you get for your registration fee besides entry into the event? T-shirt? Lunch? Other goodies? I'd suspect some degree of the fee goes to the motocross park.

And even at those prices, I'll bet they get lots of competitors. We have a local triathlon here that fills months in advance, compared to most of our DG tournaments which do not. I believe all the entrants get is a T-shirt.

I just kind of want to put our sport's need to pay out "Ams" with prizes compared to other amateur pursuits in perspective.

I noticed the entry fees on there. What do you get for your registration fee besides entry into the event? T-shirt? Lunch? Other goodies? I'd suspect some degree of the fee goes to the motocross park.

And even at those prices, I'll bet they get lots of competitors. We have a local triathlon here that fills months in advance, compared to most of our DG tournaments which do not. I believe all the entrants get is a T-shirt.

I just kind of want to put our sport's need to pay out "Ams" with prizes compared to other amateur pursuits in perspective.

i used LivingSocial when they had a coupon. the deal was for $34 and i ended geting mine free because i had 3 friends sign up.

i get a tshirt and a beer with the race entry.

Its called Tough Mudder here
www.toughmudder.com

Hopefully they wont try and hold one here especially at Veterans Park.

There's a annual Cyclecross race thats held at Veterans where it's course overlaps the disc golf course. It's only held for one day but it's in November and the last one...it rained. Basically the event tore up the park.
For a Parks department thats so concerned about the erosion impact that disc golf has on the park to let events like this continue is beyond me.

Ninja edit
The wear and tear damage it take disc golfers to do in 10 years took less than a day with bikes.

Last edited:
... since when do they need to tear down trees to make a place for people to run in mud? seems like they could find an area besides the woods to build it.... like a field.. that gets muddy easy.

i've seen a mud run, it was at a festival. people didn't sign up for the mud run, we just ended up running in the mud to and from stages. the obstacles were drunk people stuck in the mud and haze induced hippies wallowing in it.

Its a running version of cyclocross, that actually has its genesis in a European sport called "steeplechase"[yeah, like horses] which used to be shown on Wide World of Sports in the 70s.

The cyclocrossers in Portland use Pier Park to train, but only cross one or two fairways on the course and are rarely seen.

The sad thing about this "mud run" is it seems to be a one-day event. Its fun to play in mud---for a day. No one will ever train there.

So they're going to f up the course for one day of running in mud.. that's government for ya.

In Raleigh we have the Krispy Kreme run which is where you run a couple miles to Krispy Kreme, eat a dozen donuts, then run another couple of miles back. The person who finishes the fastest and doesn't throw up the donuts wins.

yeh this is crazy...and we have one of our biggest Upstate events a few weeks before this run is scheduled. DG'ers are considered 2nd class in the eyes of most all parks departments, in this case they are only looking at the $$ for entrance fees, yet our local club was told we need to become a 501c non-profit in order to run any events at the area's most popular course.

It's discouraging, to say the least. We can't move the tournament, and we can't stop them from ruining the course...

here's a local banging an ace in front of Barry Schultz at last year's event...Barry lost by one stroke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HElr7rI7LA0

Im putting together a meeting with local players this weekend and plan on having some go before the city council next week.

Oneof the local players went out and pulled up all the flags of the proposed course. Thats not the answer. We need to request they not go through the course. There 82 acres and the course sits on 12.

Sorry to hear this. I'd bring up concerns for the local water table and wildlife, as well as safety concerns for the disc golfers having to deal with this in the middle of their course. I don't believe in having to destroy perfectly good nature to create mud. And I really don't think an event like that warrants the removal of any trees. Hopefully you guys can get enough people against this idea that it is moved to a more suitable location. Best of luck.

Im putting together a meeting with local players this weekend and plan on having some go before the city council next week.

Oneof the local players went out and pulled up all the flags of the proposed course. Thats not the answer. We need to request they not go through the course. There 82 acres and the course sits on 12.

I disagree. Sometimes civil disobedience is the only way to get the powers-that-be to hear you. I bet that NOW the city council will hear what have to say.
What about those who use the park who aren't disc golfers? How do they feel about this? Talk to them and I'll bet they're none too happy either. Work on the angle of damage to the park already financed to be the way that it is.

Last edited:
The park is really big. The only developed part of thbe park that will be touched by this is the Disc Golf course. The rest of the deveolped park...ball fields, playgrounds and other things wont even see the course.

The undeveloped area is 82 acres...other than the 12 acres being used for the Disc Golf course. Other activities and park goers could come and go from the park and never realize their was a Mud Run or a Disc Golf Course.

Call your local newspaper and ask them to do a report on this. Request assistance from the local environmentalists. Stir up the NIMBYs. It would be pretty sweet to get the tree huggers fighting alongside the disc golfers in this case.

But first be sure of all the facts. Can you verify that P&R is actually going to remove trees for this mud course? Can you get them to tell you how often it will be used, and whether it is being built for permanent use or just for a single one-off event? Can you get them to show you that the local arborist signed off on this?

. The person who finishes the fastest and doesn't throw up the donuts wins.

i don't think there is any stipulation of throwing up. If you can puke and run fast, more power to you. You just gotta down em.

Also, that event is on my bucket list.

Call your local newspaper and ask them to do a report on this. Request assistance from the local environmentalists. Stir up the NIMBYs. It would be pretty sweet to get the tree huggers fighting alongside the disc golfers in this case.

But first be sure of all the facts. Can you verify that P&R is actually going to remove trees for this mud course? Can you get them to tell you how often it will be used, and whether it is being built for permanent use or just for a single one-off event? Can you get them to show you that the local arborist signed off on this?

We have the facts. Some players called me and told me about the flagging going through the course. They wanted to know if I knew what it was for. I'm that gtuy in our club. I called the Park & Rec director and called the Mayor. Both told me that they were going to bulldoze a path following the flagging that would be 10 to 12'k feet wide for a Mud Run.

There are three runs scheduled. One for May 5th and two in September. Mud Runs make a lot of money and draw tons of people. Is revenue generation while Disc Golf isn't.

I walked the flagging route and talked to the mayor again. I told him i thought the Mud Run was an excellent idea but with the plans for the run causing trees that seperate fairways to be taken down would open up the chance of injury when we ha ve a full course.

They delayed the start of the bulldozing to review the plans and safty issue some more. Thats where we are right now.

Sounds good Sadjo. Looks like there's a chance some alterations will happen to benefit the integrity of the course.

The Mud Run course is finished just not groomed yet. While it took down some trees I wish it wouldn't have, they changed the route just enough to not adversely effect the course. In fact some areas on tougher holes have larger bailout areas....which should make the course less frustrating for those that don't have a strong accuracy game.

The real positive is the Mud Run now opens up the backside of 80 plus acres of park property. We have 18 baskets the city bought in 2009 that have been in storage. We're now going to be able to finally expand our course.

Plans are to put another 9 hole loop here and the other 9 at another nearby park.