• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

I got to throw my Amps at the course today...It was a bit gusty, but nothing I'd switch out any of my normal discs for. I put them through quite a workout on a range of shots from approaches to tailwind distance drives. I threw them FH and BH as well.

First off, at least I'll understand from a firsthand perspective the variation in this mold (unlike the Volt) because the two I have are different discs stability wise. My stormtrooper flies a lot like ZJ's description...It likes to get some initial high speed turn, settle on it's line, and then fade late. It's a really straight hyzer flipper, and very controllable in it's action. For a high speed turning disc it flies decent in the wind and is pretty predictable all around. This disc likes to hold pretty straight in it's flight with just enough HSS on the hyzer flip to keep the shot from getting away.

My red Amp is one of the most understable discs out of the box I've ever thrown. I could keep it straight from a deep hyzer on 300ish shots, but farther than that and my shot always finished right. This disc has almost no LSS, almost coming to a stop in the air before falling left. Despite it's understability it was still useable to me, which was a bit surprising as I've never carried a fwy driver this understable. It's turn was slow and methodical and it is very insensitive to nose angle...I would just throw it with deep hyzer and watch it slowly work up and over and to the ground. It has good glide, but not as much as a RR. It really holds in the air on it's anny turn as well. I don't roll a whole lot, but this disc was easy for me to stand up and get good rollers out of right away. Overall it was responding similarly to the same release angles I use with my Mamba.

So I've got two new discs in my bag, both with their own merits and virtues. They go really well with my stable Volt as well. So now I'm really hoping that MVP completes this trilogy of drivers with a true "0" HSS disc that has a decent fade(faster Vector) before they move on to faster stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah I think the coolest thing is how it doesn't really get nose-angle sensitive. It doesn't require as much attention on the nose as the Volt did. This is why I think it will have a larger following. Its pretty forgiving and should be a straight or under-stable disc for just about everyone

I am leaning toward more of a -2 or -3 turn now that I have a few more days with it. It is much more stable on the course than the driving range, but that is the case with most discs here. Our range always has a headwind one way or the other.

Last edited:
Yeah...I see this disc garnering a big following on this site...It has such a useful understability. River fans are going to like this one and it could also take over for the RR and ASS as it is more predictable than either of those. The red one I have would be a great first driver for just about anyone. It's crazy how just a little tweak in design from the Volt has such a huge impact on flight. The Amp's profile does not look understable to the eye (kind of reminds me of the Flying Squirrel in this respect). I think this is what makes it more predictable than L or convex wing understable discs, which I've never been able to get a handle on consistently and to my satisfaction.

Yeah my 2 are not as understable as the one you are describing. I guess once the disc is released and we see a larger sample size we will know which type is the desired flight.

I agree that River fans will really like this disc

I've been looking for a replacement for my Vulcans... I love how insanely far and long they turn over, but they are also very hard to make predictable shots with. It's sounding like the Amp may be the disc I've been looking for!

However, I checked with my local shop and was informed that they aren't going to be putting in an order for more MVP quite yet, as they still have a fair bit of plastic left over from the order they put in when the Volt came out. /sad panda

Hopefully I'll be able to find them at another store.

Looking at my two Amps my white one has a noticeably higher overmold/PLH.

Mfg's need to have better quality control to improve consistency and less varations. Recycle those discs that don't meet the specs. They could use thin laser lines to check things like PLH, domeyness, et al pretty quickly. Or at least print some specs on label like this is 80% PLH (where 50% is the middle/desired one), some number on domeyness, etc... Will result in more happy customers. That will happen as disc golf keeps growing by leaps and bounds.

I think I will like discspeed's white stormtrooper Amp a lot. Played at T2 course at Turkey Lake and there are some shots that Amp would work great. I tried another Star RR today and still turns too much to my liking.

So now I'm really hoping that MVP completes this trilogy of drivers with a true "0" HSS disc that has a decent fade(faster Vector) before they move on to faster stuff.

I agree, that would be MVP's most logical move.

Forgot to stop by the office in my apartment complex this mroning to pick mine up due to running late for work. a/klgjasd;f I guess I'll have to tomorrow morning. It's mid 20s as a high here now anyway... Monday looks to be my next available day to throw.

Here are my two Amps side by side:
63824_2556296043792_769048197_n.jpg

I have an eagle that I got to replace a teebird that I lost. I have a river, but I don't keep it in my bag because its not really reliably understable for me. Should I check out the Amp?

All the Rivers I've tried have been strangely stable, so I know where you are coming from. The Amp is more understable than a River of similar weight, and I'd definitely call it reliably understable (especially my red one).

Thats a pretty big difference discspeed. My guess is one of those isn't how MVP wants them to mold up.

I really like both versions...Considering the ones ZJ has I'm thinking the white was is more like it is intended. Maybe variation isn't such a bad thing because a lot of people will prefer theirs' like my red one. Out of my 4 Volts only one is making the bag (mostly because they are similar), but I see both these Amps staying in. The white Amp is a perfect mate to my Volt and the red one is a great understable utility disc. In terms of using only MVP discs the red Amp really shores up the understable duties across a wide range of distances. It's understable enough and powers down well enough to use like a mid, yet give it deep hyzer and crush it high and you can get a huge distance anny. You just have to dial in the right amount of hyzer so that it flips and fades right at the point in the flight you want it to. I pured my local tunnel shot on my first try with that red Amp...just gave it some hyzer and threw it nice and smooth and it slowly flipped up and over finishing slight right, all staying within the 10' wide fairway.