• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

Haha, I live in an Apartment complex and check my mail once a week or two unless I'm expecting something. Pretty much just junk mail and health insurance bs.

I'm somewhat interested in this disc, and I am a total MVP whore, but none of the descriptions on here are really leading mw to believe that its understable. So is it slightly understable? And just what in the hell do I need an u derstable Fairway for anyway? (And yes, I know its the same speed as the Volt, which is well beyond a Fairway driver in length...)

Anyways, I'm sure it will sell like gangbusters, but I'm just wondering what the point is? I mean, the Volt is a pretty wicked driver.

zj1002 said:
I can make the amp hold 425ft anhyzers much better than the Volt.

Would you say Volt = worn eagle, amp = worn TB to be a roughly fair generalization?

Turns out that Amp is one I am looking for but having Volt is really nice as I never really tried Eagle before. Really nice to throw "Eagle" lines lately, sneaking around the trees.

There is hole at my "home" course where long anny with little or no fade would work best and with Volt, it turns but eventually fade pretty strong thus out of comfy birdie range for me. So Amp should be perfect for that shot. Looks like Amp is going to be my workhorse driver. Faster worn TB is one I am looking forward. Other plus is less nose sensitivity. I think Amp would handle crosswind better. Cannot wait for Dec 7th!

So is it slightly understable?

I wonder the same thing.

I guess Amp would be "understable" to throwers like zj1002, Mike C, et al but I currently throwing up to around 300 so I believe it would be mostly stable for me. My RR is starting to get flipper (breaking in) so I hope Amp would allow me to throw easy long anny lines so I can replace my RR.

I wonder the same thing.

I guess Amp would be "understable" to throwers like zj1002, Mike C, et al but I currently throwing up to around 300 so I believe it would be mostly stable for me. My RR is starting to get flipper (breaking in) so I hope Amp would allow me to throw easy long anny lines so I can replace my RR.

I don't think we're gonna get Roadrunner-level understable. For low power players, I am anticipating something more River or Valk-like. This is all speculation, though.

I don't think we're gonna get Roadrunner-level understable. For low power players, I am anticipating something more River or Valk-like. This is all speculation, though.

Yeah, that's actually not bad. Ive found that I have the power, but what I don't have ia consistency on my drives. Throwing the Vibrant soft fairway's has helped clean me up, and so has the Volt. I threw an awesome shot with my Volt today that is in my top five drives of all time. I guess that's why Id like to see the Amp has something that ia stable to understable. I don't have the skill level yet to throw a really understable disc the way that its meant to be thrown.

I'll probably pick one up either way. If it's easier to throw straight/anny than the Volt then I guess it could be useful. Hopefully they will do a overstable fairway/driver soon, that would be the tits!

Exactly. If the Amp is able to ride straighter, farther than the Volt, then it's going to be an even more useful disc for low power players like myself.

I personally would love a disc I can hyzer-flip from MVP. The Amp does not sound like I'll be able to hyzer-flip it...at least not until it's beat.

I wonder the same thing.

I think it's understable for everyone. MikeC has touched on it in other threads how he enjoys throwing a hyzer with his Axis. Its all about picking the right disc for the shot. He could probably take a trashed roller axis and make it hold a long anhyzer where it would roll for most. Once you learn to control nose angles the MVP discs shine.

MVP hit a home run with the Volt, but I am pretty confident the Amp will have a bigger following. I called the Volt the best new type of driver in years, and i still think it is, but the Amp would make the bag first. A 300ft power guy can make it hold an anny. If you can control a TB, river or jls you will like the Amp

MVP is trying to take over my bag...

Not a big fan of the axis so far, but the volt got me hooked. The Amp sounds like it's trying to get rid of my leopards...

I will say that when I torque the anny it drops out of the sky faster than I want. Doesn't roll just sorta drops and burns

I wonder if the gang at MVP was trying to get the Amp out before Black Friday or not.

Any word from the testers today?

12.7.2012 was the date that they published.

I could have been more specific...

I meant I wonder if they were initially trying to get everything done so the disc would have been ready for full release before Black Friday so they could take advantage of the sales. It certainly would have helped the bottom line, but, who knows.

Considering everythng else MVP has done, it may be that Black Friday didn't even matter, and they were just trying to perfect the Amp.

I'm pretty sure it was not intended for black Friday

Those sales are more for the retailers. MVP releases pretty much always have a black Friday frenzy anyways

The announcement is on PDGA home page this morning.
I appreciate the PDGA working with us to hold off on the info. It didn't go 100% as planned, but it's an important step for manufacturers. I'm posting this to you, Chuck, as a general Thanks to the PDGA and to make a case for why this should become the norm.

Here's the predicament manufacturers face:

Product launches are fun and exciting, and a huge part of that is the surprise factor that DG rarely experiences. It's too risky NOT to get a model approved before ramping up production for an expedient general release, so you've gotta get the PDGA involved. At that point your launch is in their hands... name, mold specs, some pretty valuable information could be released at any time. Too often a new model is announced with the unceremonious Approval statement, whereas a designated "do not release info" date allows the manufacturer to plan and execute a real launch. We kept the Amp very, very secret for a long time, and we were able to do something unique for its announcement. It was the coolest launch announcement we've had and I'm grateful to the PDGA for working with us.

This is a move toward accepting and encouraging mainstream business practices in the industry. We asked the PDGA to hold the info, at an inconvenience and complication to their process, and they obliged. Again, it didn't go exactly as planned, but we still had our chance to drop all-new unheard info onto the general public. This is the season of infinitely adaptable action plans, and we rolled with it.

I hope the PDGA will consider a change in their Approval process that allows for and encourages more exciting disc releases. This one was cool, and if it could be the prototype for future launches, I'd be happy for every manufacturer and the fans of those companies. This is one major way that Disc Golf Breaking News can exist!

---
FYI for the Volt approval announcement, myself and the MVP bros were up for hours watching the PDGA site to trigger our prepared website updates and posts to forums. That's how much we cared about the quality and source of that info release, and it went great. With the Amp, we had a concrete date to plan against for launch. All of this is a move in a great direction.

Latest posts