• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

After a few rounds I have come to the conclusion that the Amp isn't for me.
I have yet to do anything with it that makes me feel a need to keep it in the bag.

After a few rounds I have come to the conclusion that the Amp isn't for me.
I have yet to do anything with it that makes me feel a need to keep it in the bag.

Just out of curiosity, do you throw something similar to it?

Yea, I can see overlap with a Sidewinder. I've never thrown a Glide (actually, I've never even seen a Glide). The Sidewinder is also a great disc for hyzer-flipping. I had 150 class Champ one that I loved until I lost it to the water.

Just out of curiosity, do you throw something similar to it?

I gave it a couple rounds myself, but it was almost identical to my heavier GL River. And it would take several naked women with Five Guys burgers in their hands to tempt me to drop my River from my bag.

Or perhaps they don't want it public information so other companies can know? I'm sure they have a good reason why they haven't told us what that ratio is.

I'm pretty sure the other companies can spend $15 to buy an MVP disc and destroy it to take some measurements. C'mon... they sell them. They're publicly available. They can't keep it a secret.

Still haven't thrown my Amp too much yet, but I do like the way it flies! Had a beautiful drive on #18 at Yadkin County Park. It's sort of a long mid, short fairway shot for me, 430ish feet, way down hill, almost always into the wind. It's been a really tricky shot for me going downhill and into the wind, yet needing something that can turn, but not fade back so hard that it skips off down the hill into the woods. I tossed my Amp, smoothly with a slight anny release, it turned beautifully then had a gentle fade skipped slightly to literally end up three feet from the pole.

The Amp for me when thrown flat and level doesn't seem to turn much, but it has a nice forwardish fade. It's great at the moment, seems to want to hold most any angle I put it on. I wouldn't mind if it stayed mostly just like that.

I gave it a couple rounds myself, but it was almost identical to my heavier GL River. And it would take several naked women with Five Guys burgers in their hands to tempt me to drop my River from my bag.

And that wasn't meant as a knock to MVP. I respect what those guys are doing. There are just so many molds available these days that it's impossible to put out something new that doesn't overlap significantly with something else out there.

I'm sure scientifically the Gyro technology works. I'm even sure for people who have bigger arms and can really rev up the gyroscopic nature of discs, it is very noticeable that it works. For me, the discs just don't do anything differently or better (nor worse) than what I throw and am comfortable with. I also don't throw any Blizzard or Opto Air discs for that reason.

MVP is innovating how modern discs are formatted. With wing caps and weight caps, there's only so far a manufacturer can go before trying something different. Kudos to them for creating an entire line that way. I do always look forward to their new releases. Just nothing has stuck with me yet.

There are just so many molds available these days that it's impossible to put out something new that doesn't overlap significantly with something else out there.

I hear you loud and clear. The Amp might be one man's heavy River, another's Sidewinder, Avenger SS, Valkyrie...etc.

Look at the new DD discs. They are supposedly clones of existing Lat 64 discs. There's really nothing new under the sun.

Same here man! But they would have to have beer in their hands too before I would be tempted to drop my Rivers or Saints!

Im going to take boiling water to the dome of one of my amps and take it out for a test tommorow. We will see how a flat top AMP compares to the norm. Should be interesting to see.

I predict it will have more turn, probably more speed, and bomb :)

Ok i just flattened one of the domes. they used to be exactly the same, now it looks like this:

img20121215174908.jpg

Cant wait to test the flight tomorrow :D

I just boiled 2 cups of water and poured the boiling water into the disc while it was upside down on a flat surface.

I did this twice to get it real flat

This isn't a knock on you Plex, but altering your discs is illegal for tourney play, right?

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

Its kind of foggy, but it would be impossible to prove i did this anyways.. im not shaving off plastic or anything.. just lowering the dome a little, something that naturally happens over time. If i wanted to i could tune it with my hands and make it have lower dome.. i have seen many pros throw discs with caved in domes, beat flat, etc.. no difference.

besides, there's other ways to "unintentionally" lower dome ;)

Oh yea, nobody would notice it, or call a player on it. I was just curious.

Sure if he admits to it. Been discussed a ton on here. No harm in making a disc like another one you already have or have seen.

I'm discussing this on DGR right now and it's one of the rules I think should be changed.

Currently the rule says you cannot alter the "original flight characteristics" and that's a lousy rule as far as I can tell because nobody seems to care, and you're gaining no real advantage, so... Yeah.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that it's a goofy rule that should be changed. Particularly given the 2013 rule about "questioning the legality" of another player's disc and that disc not being available to them until the TD can inspect it and rule.

Rocs for example. There are flat ones and domey ones and everything in between. If I can make a roc like what I like what is the big deal?