• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

I'm discussing this on DGR right now and it's one of the rules I think should be changed.

Currently the rule says you cannot alter the "original flight characteristics" and that's a lousy rule as far as I can tell because nobody seems to care, and you're gaining no real advantage, so... Yeah.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that it's a goofy rule that should be changed. Particularly given the 2013 rule about "questioning the legality" of another player's disc and that disc not being available to them until the TD can inspect it and rule.

If golf discs were all uniform, like other sports equipment, this rule would make much more sense. But there are hundreds of molds out there, with thousands of variations in plastics, wear, PLH...etc. Besides, even if you cannot alter the original flight characteristics, they will be altered for you, by one good tree smack.

Alright i tested that flat AMP(White 169g), it seemed to hold lines longer as expected. The biggest thing i noticed was it went into turns slower and held the line longer without going to the ground. When hyzer flipping it, it seemed to hold that line maybe 10% longer and fade slightly less, but didnt turn anymore than the rest of my AMPs :) i think im going to bag this one for sure.

My light weight 166g Orange was consistently longer on ALL drives.. Seemed to be slightly more stable than the rest, it wanted to come out of the turn slightly faster than the others. I think its a good one to pair up with my flat for long straight drives.

I will still use my river though, the amp just cant turn like my river can.. AMPs seem to die very easily when they go into the turn because i have to put too much power on it.. i dont like that. And if i try to throw the amp higher so it doesnt die to the ground right away it just fights quickly out of the turn and i dont get that anny flight i want.

These amps are a strange creature, im not sure they are as under-stable as expected. Its just weird that i have to put so much power to get a good anny, and then they usualy just die. =/

Flatten your AMP if its too stable for you.

These are hyzerflip butter for my 350' arm. Consistently got the longest drives at league today with these.

These are hyzerflip butter for my 350' arm. Consistently got the longest drives at league today with these.

I Think that's what i will be using them for, they bomb deep on a hyzerflip and straight as an arrow with almost no fade at the end, especially my flat one.

they will fit nice somewhere in between my volt and river :)

got a chance to get a few throws in with my yellow 172 today. really easy to turn when thrown flat, but didn't turn and burn early. i was throwing it on a hyzerflip right around 350 and it would lock on a line and maybe track right just a touch. the forward fade was nice and it rolled very well also.

overall i don't think it will replace my champ leopard or std...both are on the more stable side and i like throwing forced anhyzers more than letting the disc turn on its own. i'd carry it as a tailwind/roller/no reachback type utility disc though.

I got my first singles tournament win yesterday thanks to the Amp. This disc just fits my game perfectly. I find the flight to be similar to a Leopard, but I can really crank on this thing without worrying about turning the drive into a worm burner. I can't wait to see what MVP does next.

Threw my brother's today, looks like we got a freak. I think he said it was 172'ish and it was so freaking stable. I bombed it as hard as I could, and it didn't even flinch. For reference, I threw a 167 TP sword with the same throw, and got plenty of turn and it went around 350 on super flat 6' off the ground line. Threw the amp and it laughed at me as it resisted the turn.

Looking forward to try one of these that flies as intended.

After he threw my 1st run amp and agreed that it was overstable i went and bought a lower plh amp from clearwater discgolf. First throw on it and I immediately noticed a difference. After throwing it around for 3 rounds i think it feels like a bit more stable river. Gotta throw it some more to give a more indepth analysis. But first thoughts are that i like it.

I got a Pre-order, Disc Nation stamp, MVP Amp. I loved the Volt and thought I would surely rip an Amp farther since I don't have huge power (yet) and tend to turn over an understable driver for the longest distances.

But so far I've seen:

1) I'm not getting good distance from this Amp.
2) It doesn't turn over and glide far like some of my favorite understable drivers, it just holds the line and fades.
3) I tend to pull it to the right all the time, like its sticking to my fingers too long.

I'm reading here that people thought the early release Amps were too stable?

Q: Should I give it one more try with a production version?
Q: Should I go for lower weights. Mine is 170g.

I got a Pre-order, Disc Nation stamp, MVP Amp. I loved the Volt and thought I would surely rip an Amp farther since I don't have huge power (yet) and tend to turn over an understable driver for the longest distances.

But so far I've seen:

1) I'm not getting good distance from this Amp.
2) It doesn't turn over and glide far like some of my favorite understable drivers, it just holds the line and fades.
3) I tend to pull it to the right all the time, like its sticking to my fingers too long.

I'm reading here that people thought the early release Amps were too stable?

Q: Should I give it one more try with a production version?
Q: Should I go for lower weights. Mine is 170g.

How far do you normally throw? I have been seeing 350 ft. as the magic number where a lot of people say they get the turn out of it. For me, at 300-320, it was flying like you reported.

I haven't gotten to throw mine yet at all....and I've had them since they were released.:doh: My power is 300ish on a great day anymore. I think I'd be happy if they flew as you described....kind of a straighter Volt with half the fade. Is that about right?

Hope to be able to chunk plastic next week. I have rested the shoulder as much as I can and the cortisone shot in the wrist is almost calmed down. Hopefully, I can throw something worth a flip. Probably won't see but 225-250 max, though. :wall: I hate being torn up some days.:(

I haven't gotten to throw mine yet at all....and I've had them since they were released.:doh: My power is 300ish on a great day anymore. I think I'd be happy if they flew as you described....kind of a straighter Volt with half the fade. Is that about right?

Yep, that's a pretty solid assessment right there.

How far do you normally throw? I have been seeing 350 ft. as the magic number where a lot of people say they get the turn out of it. For me, at 300-320, it was flying like you reported.

Maybe that is normal then. I throw about 280-300 on a good throw. I can make a Volt turn significantly, although it always fights back and fades eventually. I was expecting the Amp to be less stable.

Maybe if just hit a few more trees in the right way, my Amp will get the right beat in :)

My second 168g amp i picked up after my 1st run one turned out stable. The new regular production amp is solidly understable and I only throw about 315 on my best of the best throws. Its almost like a brand new gold line river so far, maybe it will beat in the same and get to super flippy, but so far it has been a nice smooth turn and then a light fade back, and hyzerflips beautifully with just a little hyzer. I do not believe that this disc needs 350ft of power. If you can crank some turn out of a river you should be able to get the amp to turn.

By all accounts the white Amps are a little to a lot more stable than the others.

Got my Amps in yesterday. Whole spectrum of colors and weights (thanks to All Things Disc Golf and MVP). I didn't think it was very windy until I got out to the course. Way too much wind for me to tell how it is going to fly for me. I wasn't throwing anything very well. Oh, and today it is only blowing around 45mph (is that an earthquake? No, just the house's foundation being blown around)...Going to another course tomorrow, and hopefully it is calm there, though it rarely is since it is right off the Arkansas river.

Last edited:
Got to say thanks to the folks at MVP for the Amp! :thmbup:

Tried the Volt but just couldnt get it to click for me, figured I would give the Amp a shot as I love my MVP putters. I was hooked after the first throw, my Blue Amp is nice and flat and flew nice and straight, even in some stiff winds. Very easy to control and feels good in the hand. It definitely made the bag, even bought 2 more for back ups.

Hats off MVP on this one!

Got some throws in with my Amps yesterday and today. Initial impression: Wow they are understable. Not quite as much as my beat up Valk that I carry for rollers, but still almost too understable to be useful for me. I have a beat up teebird that I use for uphill holes, but the Amp turned quite a bit for me even on those holes. I'll carry one for a while and throw it on some crazy lines to see if it will show me something I couldn't do with any other disc, but I can't imagine what that would be.

There was a guy who was selling a both of white and orange blanks. Anyone have the link to that thread by chance?