• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

It would be really cool for somebody to remove the overmold on an MVP disc, and the rim on a comparable disc from another maker and see what percentage of weight for each one is in the outer edge.

Why hasn't MVP done that for us?

Somebody with a little extra cash can take two equal discs ( Z Buzzz and Axis for example) and cut a small equal sized cube of rim and overmold out of each. Weigh them, film your findings and post it. Now who's ready to destroy two discs?

Or perhaps they don't want it public information so other companies can know? I'm sure they have a good reason why they haven't told us what that ratio is.

No doubt MVP wants it a secret. I've actually wanted to do the above test for over a year now, but also don't want to waste money ruining two discs. Plus, I don't have the right tools to cut the plastic, or a scale which could be calibrated exactly down to the milligram, which is what you would need to be precise in the experiment.

If someone is going to do this test, it needs to be done to exact measurements. Just cutting the entire rims off of the discs would render the test invalid, as no two rims are exact because of the different configurations of the molds. You'd need to test two identical pieces of plastic, which is why I suggested cutting out small cubes, or maybe rectangular pieces.

It would be really cool for somebody to remove the overmold on an MVP disc, and the rim on a comparable disc from another maker and see what percentage of weight for each one is in the outer edge.

This would also work. I guess I never even read you post well enough. This would be easier than my experiment. :thmbup:

I just wanted to see the weight difference in materials used to see exactly how much heavier the overmold plastic is than other company's blends.

Last edited:
It's fairly easy to find out the density of a material using water displacement to determine the volume and a scale to weigh the sample. You don't need to do any precise cutting or anything. Since non-MVP discs are essentially a uniform density, you'd only have to destroy one MVP disc in the process to do a comparison. That said, I only have 2 MVP discs and I'm not going to cut either of them apart.

It's fairly easy to find out the density of a material using water displacement to determine the volume and a scale to weigh the sample. You don't need to do any precise cutting or anything. Since non-MVP discs are essentially a uniform density, you'd only have to destroy one MVP disc in the process to do a comparison. That said, I only have 2 MVP discs and I'm not going to cut either of them apart.

I was gonna suggest waster displacement too till my tablet locked up and rebooted...

True, I hadn't thought of that. That's why I'm not the brains in this operation. :D

You would still need to cut identical pieces of test plastic though, even if you were to measure them using displacement. Yea, I'm not cuttting my precious MVP plastic either.

Sorry for the major thread drift. Who loves the Amp?!?

I got a chance to try out my amp for the first time the other day, and even though I had some problems with it flipping early on (I don't have a super huge arm either), I kept at it, and by the time I finished 2 rounds, I was getting the hang of it. Got some really nice anny lines off of it, and I powered it down on a few shots for some incredibly straight fairway approach shots! Can't say I'm hooked yet, but I'll keep on giving it a shot for a few more rounds.

I love the amp so far. Had about half a dozen throws in the field with it yesterday. I actually threw mine farther than the volt almost every time. Only a difference of 15 feet or so. I felt like it didn't fly that much more understable, but there was also a decent tailwind so more throwing is required. Thrown flat and its just this long slow right turn, or throw it with about 8:00 hyzer angle and it'll hyzer flip to flat, glide out and a decent fade at the end.

I did find that on a couple tosses it was pretty nose angle sensitive. It would lift to only 10 to 15 ft high at 350 power and hyzer out hard. I am not a guru of nose angle at all though, just finally getting a feel for it

True, I hadn't thought of that. That's why I'm not the brains in this operation. :D

You would still need to cut identical pieces of test plastic though, even if you were to measure them using displacement. Yea, I'm not cuttting my precious MVP plastic either.

Sorry for the major thread drift. Who loves the Amp?!?

Your calculating density, which is simple the mass divided by the volume. The two pieces do not have to be the same mass to compare their density.

Your calculating density, which is simple the mass divided by the volume. The two pieces do not have to be the same mass to compare their density.

You're right. :doh:

Could someone explain the nose issues with the Amp? I have not seen any problems, but that might be due to my throwing style.

...I'm not the brains in this operation. :D

You would still need to cut identical pieces of test plastic though, even if you were to measure them using displacement.

Using water displacement you don't have to cut both discs, nor do you have to make any precise measurements of the dimensions of the pieces to calculate volume. You can measure the density of an entire Innova disc, an irregularly shaped piece of overmold, and a section of the core by submerging them in water and measuring the displacement. Record the volume of each, weigh them, then D=M/V. We'd expect the overmold to have the highest density, and the core to be the lowest, with Innova plastic falling somewhere in between.

My understanding is, the higher you can get the difference between the density of the core and the overmold, the more powerful the Gyro is. I'm still curious about how you quantify the actual effect of the Gyro versus the aerodynamics of the shape of the disc but I guess it doesn't really matter. Performance speaks for itself.

"GYRO Tech" is the marketable name for their design-feature emphasis on a core property of all flying discs.

All discs gyroscopic, GYRO Tech more gyroscopic.

Might finally throw an Amp this weekend!!

You haven't thrown one yet Zam? I'd have thought you'd be one of the first.

I'm sure he's been too busy/tired from the holiday shopping season.
I've worked 10-12hr days at the office steadily for the past 3 weeks. Every single weekday for the past 2 weeks I've been up working till 4am, starting back at 9am. ZJ wanted me to come throw yesterday at 5... didn't leave the office till 10. That work at home represents 3 separate DG companies: DN, MVP, & DGA. Weekends = sleep. I've absolutely been too tired to hit the field/course :)

Wow, you've been busy. You'll be rewarded by the Amp, which I'm sure you'll enjoy throwing as much as I did.

I didn't find the Amp to be very nose sensitive, but them maybe that's because I throw lots of Lat 64. I did see it was not great into a fairly stiff headwind. ZJ said as much when I was at DN throwing the testers. I have yet to throw my ideal weight Amps due to another shoulder issue and work, so I'll have to wait before I decide completely how it flies for me. From what I saw throwing the testers, it was a solid disc with a predictable flight. It was definitely not understable for me at my lack of power level that day.:rolleyes: It was good and straight, though.

You haven't thrown one yet Zam? I'd have thought you'd be one of the first.

The dude works round the clock. He is pretty much always the last one at the office.

I think the last time I played with him was a year ago when we set up a night golf course outside the warehouse