• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Mvp Amp

Snapping your wrist? throwing properly has little to do with snapping the wrist.

but...

back to the mvp amp...

My heart is well pleased with this post. As if there isn't enough mysticism around MVP discs...bringing up snap as the argument to why people can't throw them is almost like saying MVP discs have a little magic shaman inside of them and unless you please him with enough snap he won't let your discs fly.

Yeah, discspeed, mike c, and zj all seem to be able to throw them fine. I'd like to see some videos of people throwing them. I broke down and have one coming, should be able to throw it Sunday...ordered a yellow 172...haven't seen anything about the yellow ones yet really.

My yellows are like my more stable white Amp (which is NOT overstable like Mike C's). I really like them so far better than either tester I got.

My heart is well pleased with this post. As if there isn't enough mysticism around MVP discs...bringing up snap as the argument to why people can't throw them is almost like saying MVP discs have a little magic shaman inside of them and unless you please him with enough snap he won't let your discs fly.

I think the proper term for what they need more is spin. I've heard from some of the gurus on DGCR that because the weight is more on the rim than the center (due to the Gyro tech), MVP discs MUST have a good spin on them to fly consistently. I imagine they work well as rollers for the same reason (weight on the rim) but I could be wrong because science.

I think the proper term for what they need more is spin. I've heard from some of the gurus on DGCR that because the weight is more on the rim than the center (due to the Gyro tech), MVP discs MUST have a good spin on them to fly consistently. I imagine they work well as rollers for the same reason (weight on the rim) but I could be wrong because science.

This makes good sense. I feel like more spin is going to result from having more snap, but I have bad form, so better throwers disagree I am sure.

Since more snap means more of a whipping action on the disc being flung, isn't more spin inevitable?

I was able to play today, and I took my 168 Amp, and yet I was never given a chance to throw it because the medium-longer holes were into the wind and the other holes required putters or mids from the tee. :p

Threw the Volt twice, both pretty darn well.

This made my day :)

I'm going to start referencing said Shaman.

Threw 2 of my AMPs today a couple times in a field, they both fly the same (White@175g and Orange@166g). They were not very under-stable for me though, i wasnt able to hyzer flip them very easily. When i put them on an anny line they held it for a while then flatten out straight and end with forward penetration... seems like a great disc, but i will have to try it on the course in order to get a better feel. I was hoping for more of a GL River line, but i think the AMP might be able to replace the River if it can take a good anny line and always land flat instead of rolling away. Im excited to throw it more, but its winter here, which makes it hard to test properly.

Like, Plex, I was finally able to get out and test the Amps today in a field. I have a dayglo 170, and hot pink 169. They fly pretty much the same, with the yellow one being maybe a hair more understable. As with my Volt review, it's important to note that I throw up to 280-300 feet max.

From the first throw I was hooked. My very first throw went 94 paces, which is the upper limit of my drives. I tend to throw low, line drives, and these things were like guided missles, going dead straight to the target. I was throwing the 2 Amps with my 3 Volts, seasoned DX Teebird, and beat TM2 Vision. The Amps were much easier to get distance out of than the Volts. The Volts, at my power, start their fade fast. What I love about the Volts is the 20-30 foot skips I get with them that stretch them out to almost the same distance as the Amps. The Amps are much straighter for the entire flight than the Volts, and don't fade as hard at the end.

I've never thrown a disc so straight, for so far. The Teebird is straight, but I couldn't get it to Amp distance on any of the drives. The Vision was going about as far as the Amps, but the line it takes to get there is different, because I have to hyzer-flip it and let it ride the turn for distance. The Amp was just flat, straight money on every throw.

I really couldn't be happier about this disc. It's the perfect compliment to the Volt. Both discs were flying about the same distance, with the Amp winning by a few feet or more on every drive. The biggest difference was the lateral movement. The Volts were about 30-50 feet left on every drive. These two MVP drivers are all I really need now.

Thank you MVP for making one of the best, if not THE best driver I've ever thrown.

I love the volt, cant wait to buy a couple Amps.

only downside ive found with the plastic is the black rim gets beat up pretty fast. Its almost like a dx plastic rim.

I love the volt, cant wait to buy a couple Amps.

only downside ive found with the plastic is the black rim gets beat up pretty fast. Its almost like a dx plastic rim.

The plastic used to make the overmold on MVP discs, whether it's Eclipse, or the regular black overmold is MUCH stronger than DX. It get's scuffed, and marked up, and might look messed up, but it stays intact and will not affect its performance.

The plastic used to make the overmold on MVP discs, whether it's Eclipse, or the regular black overmold is MUCH stronger than DX. It get's scuffed, and marked up, and might look messed up, but it stays intact and will not affect its performance.

Agreed. I've thrown my Volt into a metal parking sign 50 feet off the tee, and there was barely a scratch.

Gyro Tech isn't a real thing. Its an overmold. All discs are gyroscopic. And if the only thing about "gyro tech" is that it makes their discs more difficult to throw, how is that anything but a strict downgrade? I think the real truth is that you wont see their extra benefit if you don't know how to throw a disc properly. Thrown improperly, they fly just like any other random disc thrown improperly.

Gyro Tech isn't a real thing..

Haha, listen.. its a known fact MVP adds the weight agent to the plastic in the rim overmold only. This ensures most of the weight is at the VERY edge of the disc. If you have ever taken a physics class (maybe you didn't have one in high school? or maybe you haven't gone to college?) your teacher/professor has probably demonstrated a bicycle wheel or some sort of disc spinning fast generating a property called gyroscopic. Now if you understand this property, you should understand that if a disc has more weight in the edge, it will have more of a gyroscopic effect while it spins.

This means that MVP discs will hold lines longer than normal discs would. That is why MVP discs such as the axis are able to hold dead flat, straight lines much longer. The gyro tech enables the disc to fight the natural turn/fades that the disc wants to shape because the gyro tech is resisting.

Do other disc companies do this? NO.. They mix it in with the entire disc.

Not sure how else to explain it.

Haha, listen.. its a known fact MVP adds the weight agent to the plastic in the rim overmold only. This ensures most of the weight is at the VERY edge of the disc. If you have ever taken a physics class (maybe you didn't have one in high school? or maybe you haven't gone to college?) your teacher/professor has probably demonstrated a bicycle wheel or some sort of disc spinning fast generating a property called gyroscopic. Now if you understand this property, you should understand that if a disc has more weight in the edge, it will have more of a gyroscopic effect while it spins.

This means that MVP discs will hold lines longer than normal discs would. That is why MVP discs such as the axis are able to hold dead flat, straight lines much longer. The gyro tech enables the disc to fight the natural turn/fades that the disc wants to shape because the gyro tech is resisting.

So you've cut apart an axis and a comparable mid from another company and weighed the core/outer rim pieces to verify the axis is actually heavier in the rim than the competition? I mean if you're laughing at another poster for doubting your god disc surely you have proof right...

So you've cut apart an axis and a comparable mid from another company and weighed the core/outer rim pieces to verify the axis is actually heavier in the rim than the competition? I mean if you're laughing at another poster for doubting your god disc surely you have proof right...

If you really want the details just go here:

http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/gyro

Or give MVP a call here:

Brad Richardson
Orders/AR/AP

Chad Richardson
Engineering/Design

I'm sure they would be happy to explain in great detail the difference between their discs and comparable discs.

Why would i cut apart my discs, are you out of your mind?
I will continue showing the superiority of gyro tech on the course, not by cutting apart my discs.. but thanks for the suggestion. I have all the proof i need. :popcorn:

While I appreciate the completely unsolicited and condescending explanation of gyroscopics, my actual point was that MVP didn't invent them. All discs are gyroscopic. Nice job reading my post.

A super gyroscopic disc may fly differently than a less gyroscopic disc, but that doesn't make it innately superior. It just makes it different.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the completely unsolicited and condescending explanation of gyroscopics, my actual point was that MVP didn't invent them. All discs are gyroscopic. Nice job reading my post.

What MVP did was to increase the gyroscopic effect that their discs are subject to while in flight by putting a larger percentage of the total mass for the disc in the rim. He didn't say that MVP invented them, just that they made their designs place this extra mass in the rim.

What MVP did was to increase the gyroscopic effect that their discs are subject to while in flight by putting a larger percentage of the total mass for the disc in the rim. He didn't say that MVP invented them, just that they made their designs place this extra mass in the rim.

What plex did was go to some lengths to explain to me the concept of gyroscopics. He also certainly made it sound like MVP has some kind of monopoly on gyroscopics, due to their "gyro tech." All discs have extra mass on the rim, and yes, MVP has somewhat more mass on the rim than average. Everyone understands this idea. Everyone.

Last edited: