• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

My Axis, ever faithful, flies pure and true. I will not leave you behind again, my friend.

Amen to this. I lost the only one I had a while back and tried out the Alias/Tangent combo. Meh.

Got 2 E in the bag now. Will add more. Getting it out to 300 pretty consistently now.

Heart you Axis.

my buddy was throwing his today. they glide like a putter. wow. i dont think they could handle a headwind too well but they noticeably glide better than my buzzes.

they are not any different really at all.

The FR's were known to have more turn, especially the famed green ones. The ones at MST are all UV blue though. I lost my first ever MVP disc, which just happened to be one of those green FR's. Man, she was a great flyer.

I just got back from my first field throws with my new Axes...Like Mike C, I have an orange 180 and a green/yellow 179. There were a lot of people at the park so I got a bunch of random throws in terms of distance and wind direction. The winds were variable at about 5-10mph.

The discs were very neutral. Both are a bit heavier than my preferred mid weight range, but that didn't seem to affect my results much other than on shorter touch throws. On midrange distance throws (280-340') the Axes I tested had little if any high speed turn and a late gliding fade. On my first few throws it seemed I was adding a touch of hyzer and the discs were not turning any and fading out gently...After I warmed up a bit I was releasing shots flat or with a very slight amount of anhyzer and I was getting long gentle S curves. Finally after a couple dozen throws I started getting some really long frozen ropes.

There are only a few discs that I can really compare the Axis to...So few discs are really this neutral. The QMS is probably the closest thing out there, though the Axis is a little faster and drops a little slower. The Buzzz is the other obvious comparison, but the Axis feels much more like a mid than the Buzzz does. It flies low like the Buzzz, but drops when it slows more than the Buzzz (but less than Roc or Comet). So it probably has less line driver distance potential than the Buzzz, but more overall distance potential if given more height. It feels a little glidier than the MD2/Coyote/Mako family of discs and turns more gradually.

I'll be testing these extensively on the course in the coming days. My first impression is that this disc is going to be exactly in the middle ground between my Fuse and Vector stability wise.

I will keep all 3 for sure. I don't see the Axis getting Fuse flippy for a really long time. The Vector is also going to be much better in the wind and more trustworthy to go out over water and come back. How much I end up using each one is yet to be seen.

I agree on the Axis, I don't see it being a true turnover mid unless its really beat. I think I'll just have to try a Fuse at some point and see for myself. I feel like for long distance shots I can force the Axis to turnover, and shorter stuff I can usually FH or anhyzer, but understable discs can be useful. Probably will hit up the PIAS for one of their Fuses in the next few weeks.

I didn't really see any difference in their flights, but I was fighting a pretty stiff wind in my field tests. The pink one was my heaviest as well. I brought some other mids with me for comparison and the axis seemed to fly very much like my 177 gram glo Buzzz. In fact, they landed on each other two or three times in about a half of hour of throws.

As someone earlier said, I too out drove my Axis a couple times with a lightweight, soft Ion throwing both in a tailwind and on big anhyzer lines. Probably just the wind carrying the lighter disc farther though I suspect.

Huh...?

yeah rom 2011 when I purchased the disc and it had no turn either. Some flatter vectors and axis have turn off the shelf but nothing to do with the first run as most FR vectors and axes IMO are the domey stable ones.

Took me a year of beating to turn my Axis (pink neutron 177g) into a sweet flip machine. It will still hold a hard high hyzer line, go dead straight or flip to flat and ride gently to the left (LHBH). It's the most nose angle sensitive mid I regularly throw from MVP, but so very rewarding when it's dialed in.

I've been working a fresh yellow neutron 176g one in the past couple months and I forgot how much bite my other one had when new.

I will say this again, for me: Volt, Axis, Anode = all I need

Neutral is what I love.

I'm not going to do a bunch of cutting and pasting. But if you go back in this very thread, you'll see lots of talk of green FR Axes turning more than others.

well.. that's the axis I bought and have on that's is NIB which looks just like my other sitting on the shelf. Ive never heard of axis turning really ever and been following since the Ion.

Only reason I posted those quotes was b/c I went back looking for turning axes.

I have one of those green proton first runs. Been saving it, now I'm curious to throw it.

How different is the current run from the First Run? I have been throwing a FR Axis since release and its one of the key discs in my line up. I would hate to not be able to replace it if the newer runs do not fly the same.