• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a new plasma octane, came in the mail today and i couldn't believe how pop top domey it is. Is this normal? The glide is great it really bombs far was able to get it out to 500' little more turn than i expected, more like -1.5 instead of -1 though.

On a side note, ThomasOrion i have a blue N Teleport around 171g thats new, only thrown it a dozen times or so and flys more HSS than i expected, i would be more than happy to trade it for some other MVP if your interested? I have 500' power and i can hardly get that thing to turn.

Ordered a new plasma octane, came in the mail today and i couldn't believe how pop top domey it is. Is this normal? The glide is great it really bombs far was able to get it out to 500' little more turn than i expected, more like -1.5 instead of -1 though.

On a side note, ThomasOrion i have a blue N Teleport around 171g thats new, only thrown it a dozen times or so and flys more HSS than i expected, i would be more than happy to trade it for some other MVP if your interested? I have 500' power and i can hardly get that thing to turn.

Arent they all domey in that class?... I actually hunted both our local shops for a Nitro that was flatter than the rest and only noticed one that any different but even it is still plenty domey compared to the lower speed classes. Of course not too long after I wrecked my shoulder so I cant throw FH anymore which is why I wanted a flatter one.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was in the store the other day when I bought my plasma Crave and I think I'm going to rebuild my all gyro bag.

I will probably try the new mid and a Matrix since the older mids weren't my favorite, but I got to looking and there are so many doggone high speed drivers they make now.

I felt like Stanley on the office, "how many high speed drivers am I supposed to care about these days?"

I thought I'd go with the Phase or Limit and a Octane/Mayhem combo but I just wanted to see if there was one or two that you guys thought were just fantastic and I'd be missing out by not trying.

I've done the Wave, Nitro, Energy and Teleport in addition to the ones mentioned above.

Otherwise my gyro bag will probably be like this;

Atom/Envy, one of the new mids, Crave, Volt, Fireball/Motion, Phase or Limit and Mayhem/Octane

Seems like the Photon is missing from your tried discs. I guess the fireball could take that spot but you might get a little more lateral control out of a Photon for long wooded shots. Though, with your FH you might be able to get that flight out of a fireball...

Not sure what your arm speed is but here are my thoughts...

The plasma streamline trace (spd 11) is my favorite driver, and has that sweet spot stability nice slow turn with forward fade and glide that is workable for so many shots, i get nearly as much distance with it as i do the speed 13's. To compliment the trace i have a photon in plasma or my defy that is more HSS for forehands or just when i need a more reliable shot that wont turn or flip up as much. these are my bread and butter for distance

The Nitro i have is way flatter than my octane and has low glide, i am not a fan of it to be honest maybe its too heavy i dont remember the weight its from the first run.. personally i would rather throw my photon or defy as a more OS compliment to the mayhem because i can throw it farther than the Nitro and still have reliability in wind.

Octane is domey and has some turn for sure out of the box, but it bombs and probably one of my longest drivers after field testing today right up there with the Mayhem, both are my max distance drivers, not sure which will I will decide to go with but the mayhem feels a little more controllable maybe just because ive been throwing it longer and its not so pop top.

Octane and Mayhem are my max distance drivers, I only use them when im trying to flex them out as far as i possibly can on more open fairways.

I can throw 500' max and the Teleport is not my longest driver, i just cant seem to get the flight out of it i expected, so im going to be sticking with the 13 speed drivers, maybe its not getting up to speed but it doesn't seem very domey either and doesn't turn much.

I'm finding the speed 9 proton Wrath to be a great disc for majority of longer holes around here, just straight with smooth fade and very easy to range shots with.

honestly most of my drives only require the volt (speed 8) and maybe 1 or 2 holes need a speed 11 to get it there, i have to travel a long way to get to a course long enough and open enough to use a mayhem or octane.

Frankly the Teleport is never considered, not sure why i carry the extra weight. You look at all the pros with big arms they arent using warp speed discs either.. i wonder why.

Last edited:
I would second the Photon. comes in all the premium plastic and IMHO is the best drive MVP makes.

I've seen the Photon, but not sure where to use them. The Volt goes 375-400 for me and if I need further than that the Octane/Mayhem go 425-450 so I'm not sure I need it.

FH I use the Fireball and Motion up to 420 and then the Phase or Limit if I need an all out bomb.

What shots are you guys using them for?

I use my photons as distance fh shot. most r flat and feel great in the grip. I use fission photons for bh distance that can't turn over. The photon replaced my surges when i switched to mvp.

I guess its more about bag set up preference. I tend to like discs in the slower end of the class ranges. 6-7ish speed fairways and 10-11ish speed DDs. The slower DDs just fit my hand better. For a 6' tall guy I have short fingers, so between that and sweaty palms, I've always struggled with grips. So I can typically only get consistent releases with 12+ speed discs if they are sub 160g, or in a grippy plastic.

I only have 350 to 380 regular distance with the odd accidental great form 400' throw. For me, it starts breaking down after Wave. Yes, I can throw Catalyst and Octane farther, but not all the time, and not really all that much farther. The even faster ones go the same, so after testing, I did not buy and will not be using. I wish the Wave class had more options closer in flight to the Wave. That, or I wish I could rifle through a stack of 350 Waves.

for now im done buying or getting new discs - I have too many already - but I wonder...my Teleports are all the Limited first run with the word TELEPORT on it with the blue and red---maybe those came out different or with more turn? I don't know but they bomb, just end up straight or to the right sometimes unless I hyzer it well.

I've seen the Photon, but not sure where to use them. The Volt goes 375-400 for me and if I need further than that the Octane/Mayhem go 425-450 so I'm not sure I need it.

FH I use the Fireball and Motion up to 420 and then the Phase or Limit if I need an all out bomb.

What shots are you guys using them for?

Photon for me is a volt with more skip and wind fighting.

Anyone throw the Impulse. I pulled it out of my storage container and am gonna field test it. Going to compare with the Axiom Virus. Which disc has more turn?

Anyone throw the Impulse. I pulled it out of my storage container and am gonna field test it. Going to compare with the Axiom Virus. Which disc has more turn?

Impulse is more understable than the Virus, given that it's a smaller rim.

I believe a Virus is more understandable than a Impulse.

"Compared to the MVP lineup, the Virus resembles a worn-in Impulse."

Status
Not open for further replies.