• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP OHM - The Comprehensive Thread

Hey it just occurred to me... I'm an electrician right.. And I get hot sauce stuck in a promo bottle with my name and phone number... it's labelled

OHMmygod!!! Hotsauce.. Haha

tenor.gif

:p:D

Any of you knuckleheads gonna give us a flight review?
Like these?
I think so, yeah. It's strange- even a Proxy will flip up some, but the Ohm just glides on exactly the angle you throw it on until it hits the ground without deviating, dumping, turning, fading, etc. It's kind of amazing actually.

I did one round putting and throwing with it and it's definitely more glidey than my proxy. I especially noticed it when putting.

It was really windy so I have to keep on testing it but first impressions are really nice.

I had the same feeling. It kept the angle quite nice.

The Ohm is interesting. Coming from throwing Wizards, Ions, and Anodes, the slightly wider diameter / shorter profile thing feels very different - almost like a tweener disc, getting into short midrange territory. My immediate comparisons are to the XD, and kind of like how the Tangent felt. Comparing flight, whereas the Anode would blast straight out and surprise me with how far it goes, the Ohm surprised me with how long it stays up in the air. Thanks to the 2.2 mm diameter, the 5 glide thing is spot on. However, the glide comes at the cost of reduced raw penetration. I am looking forward to being able to take it to my local wooded "everything under 300 feet" county park course to see how it navigates specific lines. So far I just know that it loves sweeping soft hyzer lines, and long gliding anhyzers. It does not beat the Anode at the dead straight stuff, but then again, what does?

Ohm Review

Pros: Super straight. Easy to throw. Holds whatever line you throw it on. Glides for days! Almost no HSS and it just sits. Almost no LSS.

Cons: Ok with forehand but a bit deep for a super clean release. Stamp on stock disc rubbed off after one field work round. This run of Neutron is a bit slick and will need some roughing up. Too much glide as a putter unless putting style is adjusted.

I took the Ohm out for some field work and tested it against a Pilot, an Envy, and a Proxy. For starters, the disc comes in Neutron for now. This current crop of Neutron is between OG Neutron and Soft Neutron. There is some give to the flight plate but it is not super squishy (I could see a Soft Neutron being killer in this mold). During testing, there was some mild wind gusts up to 10mph and I through from several different positions to see how it would fly in different wind conditions. I tested 169g and 174g discs. The 169g was stock stamp and the 174g was a SE.

For starters, this disc is going directly into the bag and it is kicking out my Cosmic Neutron Pilot. It is not kicking out my Electron Pilots, but more on that later. In the hand, the disc feels like a cross between a Pilot and FR Proton Anodes that had an almost glassy look with this slightly soft plastic. The disc was a dream. It would hold any angle that I gave it. While I could hyzer flip it, it resisted that flip. It just flew on any angle and if I somehow released it wrong with OAT, it showed me that but still held the angle. While it was a bit nose sensitive, again it just followed that release point. This led to some really floaty upshot style throws that just helicoptered to the ground, something that a disc like the Nova does really well. On an anyhyzer, it would just hold that angle to the ground with no LSS at the end. On a sweeping hyzer, it would hold the hyzer angle and it would just glide for days.

When compared to the Pilot on full power throws, it would outdrive the Pilot consistently by 25-35 feet. And the Pilot and Envy use to be my go to drives off the tee. And it was more consistent than the Pilot. Electron Pilots on full power exhibit lots of HSS as they beat in. Premium plastics reduce that HSS but as they beat in it shows more. Premium plastic Pilots do have some bite at the end. The Ohm on the other hand was dead straight. Nearly no fade at the end when thrown flat.

The Ohm performed well in all wind conditions. On a left to right wind, it did drift to the right if any part of the flight plate showed face to the wind, but most discs did that, including the Pilot. Even when it caught the wind, it kept a steady flight to the ground and never just burned out or looked like it was going to be a throwler.

As a putter, the Ohm fell short for me for now. This might change when it is released in Electron, but for now, I am sticking with the Pilots. The main reason for this is that the Ohm as lots of glide, and in the circle this meant lots of band hits and sailing high over the basket. I certainly would need to adjust my putting style, but the slickness of the disc could not give me the tackiness I wanted for my style of putting. It might work for others, but it just meant to many missed putts. The Electron Pilot is staying in the bag for this

Overall: The Ohm is going to become a staple in the MVP lineup. It will be great for beginners, and while it will show them their mistakes easily, it is also very forgiving. I haven't used it as a catch disc yet, but I could see it being used for that, especially if it comes in a slightly softer plastic. It reminded me of an OG Proton Anode when MVP was still figuring out their plastics. While not all Anodes fly like the Ohm, I have one of those OG Anodes that has a similar flight. Going right in the bag.

Oh. Another "straight-putter-that-holds-a-line" from MVP.

Whats new? Any threads started about the Reactor?

Second round with the Ohm (and also the Reactor). I'm really starting to like it. It's somewhere between Envy and Proxy. It is really long for a putter but it's not too hard to control on shorter approaches. Longer than proxy and straighter than Envy. Just awesome disc!

Whats new? Any threads started about the Reactor?
The Reactor will be as big or bigger for MVP than the Ohm. I was unimpressed with their previous mids (Electron Matrix is good but not super special) but the Reactor is actually a great option regardless of brand.
If there isn't a thread yet, just wait a bit and it will happen.

The Reactor will be as big or bigger for MVP than the Ohm. I was unimpressed with their previous mids (Electron Matrix is good but not super special) but the Reactor is actually a great option regardless of brand.
If there isn't a thread yet, just wait a bit and it will happen.

Ohm.....ok now that that's done.

I would start the thread but i dont have one or anything to contribute but im very curious. If its between a wasp and buzzz, and doesnt have a bead. Im buying

Well mail came, I got my 167 ohm, yellow, stock stamp. Worst part is I found out at lunch but couldn't throw it til now.

Tossed a couple putts, nothing spectacular, basket low a lot not feeling the 5 glide at low speed. Dumpy and straightish... flew straight a few times, dumped a few, inconsistent and it was breezy but meh, I don't want a putter.. So good news there haha.

Wound up on the first hole, Envy (worn plasma), Spin (fresh proton and swirly sexy purple), yellow Ohm all discs 167 I think... straight to fade lhbh at about 180' kind of a nice warm-up hole on #10..

Envy has seniority so takes honours and eats a left to right crossing short for the ace but past for a bird. Spin tries the same action on a straight mini hyzer and almost aces but 6" short. The Ohm comes out of the gate straight and flat, just as it's about to fade gets the gyro push instead and clangs a cubby ace...

Ohm tees up on the tunnel between the leaning trees, flies straight, hold height real well but comes out just below the hangar, two in a row would have been sweet!! Envy hits the tunnel fades and parks, Spin hits the tunnel on a hyzer pulls out to straight but loses height faster than the ohm, pushes past by 15' while the ohm is parked directly underneath. Either the ohm drops straight and fast or I was a lot further off then I thought.

Everyone ****s themself on the tunnel, ohm is the worst way short and having to try a desperation flick clips a tree short again. Shot #3 for the ohm about 70' laces a ****ing laser that starts to fade but pushes for a long par... and a spectacular shot, flies way past.. Envy and Spin chip for 3.

I will spare you the rest of the long descriptions, provisional shot on 13 all park, big downhill... didn't turn the ohm over flew flat but a gentle hyzer into the headwind updraft, Lobo was horny for plastic so there was yelling...

Provisional 14 to visit my old dog Jake under the willow tree and toss a 200' field shot.. Ohm pulled a little anhyzer because I put it on it.. Didn't do much but turn on the front end and push straight but really it's a straight fighter. Didn't get the action I thought I would.

Uphill touch of anny.. Ohm placed beside the Envy fairly similar. Pooped it on short tunnel and then provisional on 9 (no I don't play in any order other than laziness) the Ohm cut a beautiful deep anhyzer stopping directly under the pin, Envy and Spin same line.. All made the turn, Spin short turned lots, didn't glide as much. Envy long because it pulled out.

The final thought is I'm definitely throwing it again, feels and flies like a mini tangent, kinda dumpy but at the same time with more glide. Excellent placement disc, relatively HSS for a true 0 and definitely a little fade, probably deserving of the 1.

Feels good enough, better than the Proxy not quite Envy comfy but I agree it feels more like one than a proxy. So far it's throwing a fair bit like my main yard envy plasma 167 with a good year of wear but still less fade. It's definitely a better option than a fresh Spin but it can't touch my beat one.

God help me, I don't know what I will do if they make a good midrange this year, I don't know where it will fit next to their putters.

Last edited:
I've been spending some time with the Ohm, real good straight shots and I have hit some lines on problematic holes that I have been really happy with... but my straight shots keep popping up to a slow forward pushing hyzer... and by that I mean a straight flying hyzer that wanders about 2-4'' off the line in 200'.

I'm having trouble getting it to fly dead flat. If I cheat it with a bit more nose down it turns a bit and corrects to straight a few feet off the line. A "touch" of nose up anny works but too much nose up and it stalls to a fade faster than my beat Envy. I'm definitely having trouble establishing its breakover point, be interesting if it loses the LSS and keeps the HSS.

Another weird thing.... I've had a few tree chips and branch skips, every time I've bounced with decent spin it just keeps going straight! I can also poop myself and the disc is always relatively close enough. It kinda does that Anode autocorrect.

If one was a strong spin putter I could see this being a good fit... there's reasonable differences in perceived stability between C1, C2 putts and a 50/80 percent power drive.... Seems like it could be good for a wide range of power levels but YMMV

Further updates as events warrant.

Last edited: