• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Resistor

So having this on Prime Disc for under $13 made a liar out of me. Looking forward to trying this baby out.

don't we just make it way to hard to not buy? :D

I was a little shocked we put it up honestly. new popular item, low price = win for everyone

I'll through in my two cents after yesterday's round:

1. They are flat. It's almost as if there' no shoulder and the flight plate extends directly to the nose of the disc. Makes for a very good feel in the hand - almost deeper feeling than the higher-speed drivers.

2. They are beefy OS at ~340-370 (I throw Volts 360-400). The course I typically frequent has a lot of shots with four lane road to one side. I've never trusted a disc before for big hyzers out over the road, but the Resistor left me feeling impressively confident about the shot.

3. The Resistor laughs at wind. That's about it here.

4. Great skips. Rangeable like a mid but with much better skipping on level-to-slight-hyzer shots. They feel controllable, for what that's worth.

5. Speaking of control - they're controllable. I'm not a super-high-powered player, and every OS disc I've owned has, in reality, owned me. With the Resistor I feel totally in control of the line. I have the power to get it where I want it consistently. This is what impressed me the most.

6. They're shorter than the Shock/Volt/Amp. Definitely hits ground sooner for me. Should be obvious, but it surprised me based on the feel of the disc and the relative speed it felt like it was flying.

All in all, it's an OS driver that I like - and that's a first.

Nice write up, agree with everything you said.

don't we just make it way to hard to not buy? :D

I was a little shocked we put it up honestly. new popular item, low price = win for everyone
Twice now I've sworn up and down that I was done buying discs for 2013 and you guys have made liars out of me!:doh::wall: Kudos for offering the disc up as the disc of the day though, even if it did make a liar out of me.

This got me too. Was not planning on getting one. Hate the stamp, but I am not really one to care that much about stamps.
Man, there is seriously nothing in the middle with Halloween stamps... people either love it or hate it (and need to tell everyone they hate it). I'm not really into Halloween stuff so I figure it's just the whole horror theme that people dislike. But whatever. You and I can have a not caring contest :D

I just like most factory stamps, and hate most all "special" stamps. It's not something I can either explain or defend.

Took out 2 fresh resistors (max and min weight) and a new unthrown shock (173g) out to compare today.

The shock is straighter and dumps off faster at the end, but gets a bit more distance. I think the shock is meant to be more of a turn resistant disc paired with volts than super overstable

The resistors are more over-stable in that they end farther left than the shock by quite a bit. I noticed the resistor would slowly enter the fade stage sooner and it was slow motion compared to the shock quicker dump, this allows it more time to ride out the fade and get that lateral right-to-left distance. The resistor is shorter but i found it MUCH easier to park holes in the 200-300' range, the shock usually overshot the hole by about 30' where as the resistor would be about perfectly ranged, but a little left of the hole, maybe 15'-30' on average.. just because i dont have the prolonged fade dialed in yet.

The shock is made for 300' and over where as the resistor sits nicely inside the 200-300' for me.

I feel like the resistor would lose accuracy over 300' because i would have to throw too hard to get the distance.

I will not replace the shock, i feel like i still need it for the longer shots.

My next test will be Tensor vs resistor.

Last edited:
after playing two rounds with my resistors I can confidently sy they are staying in the bag. after throwing flicks for so long it really reminds me of a slower shorter more controllable flick and I love it! I can rip on it full power which when released feels amazingly clean with lots of snap ( RHFH) and it gets just enough forward fade to go exactly where I need it to go. I have a feeling I may get my first ace with this disc. with one at 174 and 166 I will be getting one at 158 for sure soon

MVP RESISTOR reviews!

Just purchased the MVP RESISTOR today along with a nano glow. Its very stable, totally in the over-stable category... I'd compare it a firebird... Its not going to flip for me for some time yet...Because of the quality of the MVP brand, I feel that this particular disc will stable through out it entire life. All the other MVP's I have (Shock, Amp, Axis, Ion) take the tree beatings I give them, and still have not lost any stability... Great Brand! Great edition, please keep them coming MVP!

after playing two rounds with my resistors I can confidently sy they are staying in the bag. after throwing flicks for so long it really reminds me of a slower shorter more controllable flick and I love it! I can rip on it full power which when released feels amazingly clean with lots of snap ( RHFH) and it gets just enough forward fade to go exactly where I need it to go. I have a feeling I may get my first ace with this disc. with one at 174 and 166 I will be getting one at 158 for sure soon

I have one light blue 158g left in my sale thread

Maybe I am off here but the comparison with a Flick makes it sound like the Resistor flies like an ESP Predator.

Sounds not appetitizing. Good that some people will like it though. I'll probably have one for sale here in short order

Have you even thrown it yet? I thought you liked to forehand, this disc is great for that.

One of the only discs i can successfully forehand with, aside from everything else this disc can do for me, i would bag it for forehand throws alone.

I hate forehands. And I hate overstable drivers...though I used to love both. Just an evoloution of my game, I guess. I like something lean that I can shape. That's why I got rid of the Shocks.

When this was first announced I was hoping more Teebird. Now that it's more Firebird, I'm kind of regretting spending the money on it. But, never say never. It might be magic in my hands, whenever it gets here.

The resistor is shorter but i found it MUCH easier to park holes in the 200-300' range, the shock usually overshot the hole by about 30' where as the resistor would be about perfectly ranged, but a little left of the hole, maybe 15'-30' on average..

This was my experience, too. I consistently overshoot with my Shock (weirds me out, too, 'cause I never thought I'd end up with that kind of distance), but the Resistor feels right. As I said before, it's a driver I feel like I have completely under control.

I had few throws with pink 174g yesterday. Disc was overstable. nice hss and good fade. its not meathookish, so with little added height and hyzer you can throw exactly same line with proton volt or shock. So it won't make much difference. Forehand throws were really nice. I also tested throwing thumber with 80% power, its slowly rotating like Latitude XXX, but it didn't gain as much distance. I think its the gyro effect that makes all mvp discs acting weird when throwing thumber. They dont want to do it :) i need to make some more testing at the weekend and see if it stays in the bag.

Last edited:
I hate forehands. And I hate overstable drivers...though I used to love both.

Put me firmly in your old camp. While on a great day BH only players can hit all the lines going through trees (and it can be much more spectacular), I think on your average day, including some mistakes and inaccuracies, having those FH shots, OS ones included, is higher percentage golf.

Latest posts