• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Resistor

I'm no Mike C.. but:

I think MVP plastic lasts longer because they resist warping and the polymer they use has much less memory compared to other plastics. So when you hit a tree or bend the disc in some way, the disc doesn't "remember" that bend or taco after it hits something. MVP likes to hold its shape very well and resist stretching. I have an old MVP vector that has been abused since the day it was released, it still has its shape, its still flat when sat on the table, there's no wavy edges, there's no big gouges or slices like my star/champ might have and most of all it still has some stability and isn't flippy.

Low Memory is what you want :) and MVP delivers that.

not to dismiss you out-of-hand, but, um..no.

And MVP discs don't "last longer" than other discs. They are plastic, and will more or less last forever anyway. So keep them out of the landfill you dirty polluters!

I digress. My MVP discs, as I previously stated, have scuffs, dings, chunks and scrapes. They might be a slight bit more resistant, but I agree with Mike C and say it's a toss up between Neutron, Champ, Z, Opto, etc. I don't agree that MVP discs are more durable, but I agree they hold their flight characteristics longer. And I don't think that has anything to do with the plastic memory, which is really just the amount of flex in the molecules are something like that.

So while I understand what in4d is getting at (it's not just nonsense, by the way...it's truth but neither he nor I know the technical terms) I'm gonna stick with Gyro Tech for my answer.

sorry for the thread drift.

i pre- ordered some resistors from DN, min and max weight neutron and a mid weight 'chains for brains' halloween disc. i asked them for an orange zombie disc if possible, and they sent me three orange discs. hahah im still laughin. I CANT TELL THESE THINGS APART.

i like you guys. well played.

I'm no Mike C.. but:

I think MVP plastic lasts longer because they resist warping and the polymer they use has much less memory compared to other plastics. So when you hit a tree or bend the disc in some way, the disc doesn't "remember" that bend or taco after it hits something. MVP likes to hold its shape very well and resist stretching. I have an old MVP vector that has been abused since the day it was released, it still has its shape, its still flat when sat on the table, there's no wavy edges, there's no big gouges or slices like my star/champ might have and most of all it still has some stability and isn't flippy.

Low Memory is what you want :) and MVP delivers that.

You've got the idea right that you a plastic that returns to its original form, but the "memory" is the memory of the original form. Not the other way around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape-memory_polymer

Not the same property, but I'm pretty sure the idea is the same. Anyway, just a difference in what convention you want to go with.

My friend skates his E Vector and N Tangent on asphalt all the time (And he does it pretty hard sometimes!) And there has been no noticeable damage or scuffs.
Personally Ive hyzer spiked them in to: asphalt, sharp rocks, along with everyday wear and tear. So far the only thing to affect my disc was the rocks. Even then it was only a small hair of overmold and N Plastic (N Vector).

This is my opinion and with my own trial and error, Its up to you to try their plastic in your area and see how it holds up. Other premium plastics have had gouges, scuffing, dents over a year of heavy use where I play.

So I threw both the Shock and the Resistor for awhile today and I am glad to say they both can stay in a bag, at least for people with a weaker arm like me. The shock was a good 40' further than the resistor for a lot of similar backhand throws but the resistor seemed to tie if not go a little further for me when doing some forehand shots.

Also I was quite pleased today while practicing because after watching some Will Schusterick videos on form, and after a good half hour of working out kinks, I was finally getting some good distance on my backhands

Also to add quickly, even though it's been heavily covered: the resistor does not give one **** about the wind

I'd like to see the results of throwing these side by side with a fresh Teebird, if anyone is game. Mine wont get here until God knows when and my interest is peaked.

Really not looking for more OS crap, but I guess I should have thought about that when I ordered a disc called the "Resistor"

I'd like to see the results of throwing these side by side with a fresh Teebird, if anyone is game. Mine wont get here until God knows when and my interest is peaked.

Really not looking for more OS crap, but I guess I should have thought about that when I ordered a disc called the "Resistor"

I've found it to be like a shorter firebird, which I really like so far.

I think the Shock and Resistor will separate themselves from one another through wear. So far my Shock has developed some high speed turn and kept it's fade, sort of like an EX now. I'm thinking the Resistor is going to get straighter(delayed fade) before developing any turn. Currently my Shock is less HSS than my PVolt and has kind of taken the place of my N Volts.

i pre- ordered some resistors from DN, min and max weight neutron and a mid weight 'chains for brains' halloween disc. i asked them for an orange zombie disc if possible, and they sent me three orange discs. hahah im still laughin. I CANT TELL THESE THINGS APART.

i like you guys. well played.

Haha that may be my fault. I do remember seeing your order and I reading a note that said orange. My brain may have just decided you deserved all orange for some reason. We aim to please, even if it means confusing you when you need to grab your favorite orange Resistor :D

Wow, Community discs shipped my Resistor to Finland on friday and today it was on my mailbox. :) I was expecting it maybe next friday or something but this is great, I can test it enough so I can use it in club championships next saturday. :)

I was able to throw two very short (30 meters or so) FH approaches with it in my yard today and it felt very good, I really like how super flat it is.

I'll through in my two cents after yesterday's round:

1. They are flat. It's almost as if there' no shoulder and the flight plate extends directly to the nose of the disc. Makes for a very good feel in the hand - almost deeper feeling than the higher-speed drivers.

2. They are beefy OS at ~340-370 (I throw Volts 360-400). The course I typically frequent has a lot of shots with four lane road to one side. I've never trusted a disc before for big hyzers out over the road, but the Resistor left me feeling impressively confident about the shot.

3. The Resistor laughs at wind. That's about it here.

4. Great skips. Rangeable like a mid but with much better skipping on level-to-slight-hyzer shots. They feel controllable, for what that's worth.

5. Speaking of control - they're controllable. I'm not a super-high-powered player, and every OS disc I've owned has, in reality, owned me. With the Resistor I feel totally in control of the line. I have the power to get it where I want it consistently. This is what impressed me the most.

6. They're shorter than the Shock/Volt/Amp. Definitely hits ground sooner for me. Should be obvious, but it surprised me based on the feel of the disc and the relative speed it felt like it was flying.

All in all, it's an OS driver that I like - and that's a first.

6. They're shorter than the Shock/Volt/Amp. Definitely hits ground sooner for me. Should be obvious, but it surprised me based on the feel of the disc and the relative speed it felt like it was flying.

After few proper throws on the field I agree, when I got Resistor on my hand, it felt so good and light (really 172g) that I was unrealistically dreaming of really long distances. But it felt 20 meters short of other MVP drivers, going around 70 meters or so, which is bit less than my good drives with Axis and Tensor (I only throw from stand still with bad form).

The flight was dead straight for about 50 meters and then hard fade for the last 20 meters or so. Same with forehand but I only got it around 50 meters (my FH throw really sucks), again shorter than Volt which is my main FH disc. FH throws did look nice (although short) though, no usual wobble.

For overhand shots it felt like Flick, the few throws I tried I couldn't get it to turn properly, just dead straight.

So in summary, very OS for me, much more than my new Tensor or somewhat beat Shock. Will probably replace Shock, Tensor stays for windy day mid approaches with reliable but not so big fade.

just got mine! 174 and 166 if I like these like I think I will I will invest in a 158. one thing is for sure, this new fairway line is going to be very successful with such a big weight variety. can't wait to report my throws with these

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 30
Why so sexy. I don't want to be a MVP whore but you give me no other choice Resistor...

I will be getting one when my local guy gets some in a few weeks. It will be fighting with my CFR Firebird (a disc that I like a lot).
I don't think it can do that much better than my beat up CFR Firebird on a back hand and on a FH roller (because I think my Firebird does both very well and exactly like I expect I want it to) but I'm hoping the Resistor gives me a better feeling for sidearm throws.

Last edited: