• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Resistor

This disc is unique to anything I've ever thrown. Talk about flat. Are they all flat? Anyone broken one in yet? ;)

LOL

It will be at least a month before this thing even starts to get slightly seasoned.

MVP is more durable than anything i have ever thrown.

During my time of throwing MVP, I never found it to be MORE durable than any of the other competitors premium plastics.

During my time of throwing MVP, I never found it to be MORE durable than any of the other competitors premium plastics.

I would say it's very similar to star plastic for breaking in and durability, maybe just slightly more durable.

Got mine today, now to go try it out!

Really excited to try it because it is both cool and breezy out in the city finally

MVP discs do break-in slower and rims are much less subject to notches and scuffing IMO but that's not really to say they are more durable I think its more just by design and their plastic being some of the best on the market as well doesn't hurt. My 1st ever purchased N volt is old and beat but still flying more OS than an AMP, really flying just longer and a little less HSS but and no major flaws to the disc and its still a volt-- same with my FR vector. 2 super old bagged MVP that have seen it all from chains, rocks, trees, snow/ice, roads. hell you can still read the stamps :|

I feel like my MVP's are a bit more durable than most others discs on the market. Maybe not by a huge margin, but enough to notice.

A big difference I see between, say, a SOLF/SPD/Star Starfire and a Neutron Volt is how the rim looks after a year of use. The Star Drivers for me would have decent little chunks from high speed tree hits and road skips, and the entire rim would look slightly wavy from being bent back and forth during play.

My year old Volts have less physical damage on the rim edge and the rim has stayed straighter and more true through the use. It does not have the wavy appearance of a well seasoned star driver. As expected the flight feels like it took a bit longer to season compared to a similar mold in star plastic, but it definitely seasoned over that year and does not fly the same. I find my well seasoned Volts very useful though, they season well like my SOLFS did, just slower and more predictably.

Soft Ions seems to be holding up at least as well as my Evo Wizards, plus they have a glide the Evo Wizards didn't really have compared to baselines.

MVP's durability is top tier, meaning there is nothing that is going to break in significantly slower flightwise or be quantifiably tougher across a variety of abuse.

I'm not saying they arent durable.. dont get me wrong. From my experience I have seen the stability change over time, and I have also gouged (chunked, cut, whatever you wanna call it) the rims a couple times. They are right up there with champ plastic durability imo.

Personally, I have yet to chunk or gouge any of my prodigy plastic (400s and 400g) and I am pretty impressed with how well it seems to hold up. I'm not trying to start a prodigy vs mvp thing either.. just stating an observation.

Yeah my Prodigy has been holding up well, my F2 and D2 get used pretty often and are holding up great.

MVP vs champ/Z is more even, I just compared Neutron to Star because that's what most people seem to do. Either way they hold up well, and so are a lot of other newer plastics. Good time to be a golfer :D

MikeC: since you are the expert, or more expert than me anyway, regarding flight path changes...would you say that is because of the plastic blend or the Gyro tech? Because my Neutron Volt is beat...I mean beat. It's got gauges and scuffs and everything in between, just like a regular driver. But it has developed noticeable turn when released flat, and slightly less fade. A similar driver (like my SOLF) that has the same amount of wear has much more altered flight characteristics.

That's why I say it's the Gyro tech rather than the plastic blend that keeps the flight path truer. This has no scientific basis, more of an educated guess. Care to chime in?

As this regards to the Resistor, I'm hoping it could potentially hit the same Teebird sweet spot but hold it for much, much longer, thanks to the Gyro tech.

You want durable? Try a Vibram.

I don't have proof of this, but I believe that chemically, MVP's overmold is the closest thing to Vibram X-link on the market. The rubber-like qualities of the overmold make it highly resistant to direct impact. I would agree with Mike in that MVP discs are some of the most durable in disc golf. They are not, in fact, the same as others.

MikeC: since you are the expert, or more expert than me anyway, regarding flight path changes...would you say that is because of the plastic blend or the Gyro tech? Because my Neutron Volt is beat...I mean beat. It's got gauges and scuffs and everything in between, just like a regular driver. But it has developed noticeable turn when released flat, and slightly less fade. A similar driver (like my SOLF) that has the same amount of wear has much more altered flight characteristics.

That's why I say it's the Gyro tech rather than the plastic blend that keeps the flight path truer. This has no scientific basis, more of an educated guess. Care to chime in?

As this regards to the Resistor, I'm hoping it could potentially hit the same Teebird sweet spot but hold it for much, much longer, thanks to the Gyro tech.

I'm no Mike C.. but:

I think MVP plastic lasts longer because they resist warping and the polymer they use has much less memory compared to other plastics. So when you hit a tree or bend the disc in some way, the disc doesn't "remember" that bend or taco after it hits something. MVP likes to hold its shape very well and resist stretching. I have an old MVP vector that has been abused since the day it was released, it still has its shape, its still flat when sat on the table, there's no wavy edges, there's no big gouges or slices like my star/champ might have and most of all it still has some stability and isn't flippy.

Low Memory is what you want :) and MVP delivers that.

So when you hit a tree or bend the disc in some way, the disc doesn't "remember" that bend or taco after it hits something.

you're seriously off the deep end. what did i just read?

i cant remember what i just read.

i am an mvp disc.