• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Now that I've had some time to get to know my Volt, I feel like I can throw it faster than my other drivers. Not only does it look like it's flying faster, but I can throw it farther than other discs that have a similar flight rating. Example - my Volt flies very similar to my Star SL, but the Star SL has a higher speed rating. However, I can throw my Volt farther. I don't know if the grip is more comfortable, or I can get a better snap on it because of the gyro tech, or I'm just crazy, but I'm getting good flights out of it. Anyone else think their Volts are easier to get up to higher speeds?

Like you, I do actually appreciate a little variation and I believe absolute consistency is something that would at the very least not be worth the cost to achieve it.

Little variation is still lot better than some other molds like PD where I had S-PD that is Firebird stable and other one is like DX Teebird stable, ditto with Pred as I had a ESP Pred that is like DX Teebird stable. That is too big variation to my taste.

So far, my Volts have little variations which is good and MVP obviously will continue to improve their mfg process and quality control that are still within their costs.

I have kept the Volt in my bag and I'm still not impressed. I keep throwing it hoping I will want to keep it, but I just don't think it fits in my bag. If I want distance, I grab the saint, if I want control, I grab a TL or PD. I just don't need a volt and I don't like it that much.

We will see, I'm still keeping it and throwing it. It just didn't do anything special for me.

Now that I've had some time to get to know my Volt, I feel like I can throw it faster than my other drivers. Not only does it look like it's flying faster, but I can throw it farther than other discs that have a similar flight rating. Example - my Volt flies very similar to my Star SL, but the Star SL has a higher speed rating. However, I can throw my Volt farther. I don't know if the grip is more comfortable, or I can get a better snap on it because of the gyro tech, or I'm just crazy, but I'm getting good flights out of it. Anyone else think their Volts are easier to get up to higher speeds?

Most people have this experience with neutral fairyway drivers at some point in their DG lifetime. Many of us find that, when we dump our bags on a bomber hole, our Leos/Teebirds/Rivers/Saints/Volts/PPDs w/e are sitting right next to our big rim distance drivers, perhaps even farther, because they're easier to grip, and both glide better and stay straight longer at the speeds the vast majority of players throw them.

That said, the speed difference between a Volt and SL is very small. The rim on the Volt is roughly 1 mm smaller than the SL.

I have kept the Volt in my bag and I'm still not impressed. I keep throwing it hoping I will want to keep it, but I just don't think it fits in my bag. If I want distance, I grab the saint, if I want control, I grab a TL or PD. I just don't need a volt and I don't like it that much.

We will see, I'm still keeping it and throwing it. It just didn't do anything special for me.

This has been my finding too. I keep reaching for it during casual rounds hoping it will click with my game. But I throw it and then reach for what I would normally throw before the volt came out (opto/gl saint or p-pd depending on the shot) and said disc just does what I want so much better than the volt. The volt doesnt go any farther than my fresh GL saint, and has pretty much the same flight. Need an anny shot? beat GL saint. Long straight with fade at the end? p-pd. Just dont see the volt doing anything that discs I already have cant do as well or better.

This has been my finding too. I keep reaching for it during casual rounds hoping it will click with my game. But I throw it and then reach for what I would normally throw before the volt came out (opto/gl saint or p-pd depending on the shot) and said disc just does what I want so much better than the volt. The volt doesnt go any farther than my fresh GL saint, and has pretty much the same flight. Need an anny shot? beat GL saint. Long straight with fade at the end? p-pd. Just dont see the volt doing anything that discs I already have cant do as well or better.

I think people who love the PD prefer pd/saint to volt + anything or even volt by itself.

Discspeed pointed it out a while ago, not everyones bag has a spot for the volt.

I love PD and definitely prefer Volt over Saint, each to their own. Both are good, but I really like the feel of Volt's rim, very comfy and consistent for me. Been playing at Turkey Lake T2 course on daily basis and Volt is my workhorse driver and even upshots (I notice it is easier to do upshots with Volt than say my mids in some cases because I get better accuracy with less effort esp when the distance is between mid/fairway). I reach for bit beefier S-PD when I need harder fade, tighter "S" flight and headwinds.

Cannot wait for newer release of drivers from MVP so that might give me better feel and consistent grip between their driver molds.

I tried my buddys max wt pepto pink one and it was super controllable and went farther than I thought it would.

I powered it down because I wanted to hit the line more than throw hard ...and it NAILED the line.

I like 'em.

Got my First Ace with the volt this weekend! On a hole that's about 300 feet, Slight hyzer. This was durring a local tournament, i won the entire ace pool! woot!

The Volt has been getting closer to the chains than my Eagles and Rivers ever did consistently. Not sure if its just because im focusing more on trying to make well placed shots or the Volt is just easier to predict/place than my other discs.

At first i didnt like the grip/feel of it so much, but now that im getting more used to it, i feel like i have more control over the smaller rim and am able to manipulate my grip more and handle it better than larger rimmed discs (I have large hands btw, im 6'3")

So far the volt has been replacing some of the shots i used to use my Eagles for but i find it hard to get rid of a disc i have thrown for so long :(

The glide on this Volt is insane, and even in the wind i find it handles relatively well considering the amount of glide. (I have tested it in 8~10mph wind)

I let a bunch of people throw all the Volts i have at the tournament and people LOVED it. Majority said they would purchase one after thrown it. im glad to see majority of other disc junkies enjoying the volt as much as i do. However there was a minority of "fan-boys", "Haters", what ever you call them, that chose to dislike the Volt, but judging by their throws it was apparent they didnt have the skill level to be judging a more advanced disc like the Volt. Throwing with severe OAT does not mean a disc is under stable.

So far the volt has treated me very well and i give it a 8/10 because of its good controllability and glide. Although, wish it was slightly more overstable instead of neutral to handle wind better and allow for mega rips :D

ALL the Volts i have are different colors/weights, and they are all within ~5% similarity in flight characteristics.. this is VERY good, thanks MVP.

Can't wait for the next MVP release, i hope its a Over-stable Driver. Or maybe an under stable mid/driver.

I understand your view point Plex, but show some love to people who just don't like it. Don't blame my form either.

I understand your view point Plex, but show some love to people who just don't like it. Don't blame my form either.

Its a great disc, whether some people like the disc or not, it certainly can't fit everyone's play style thats for sure, if that were true we would all be throwing the same discs.

I was just refering to those whom i witnessed throwing it like newbs and expected better results, while saying they dont like it because they failed to execute properly.

:popcorn:

I think people who love the PD prefer pd/saint to volt + anything or even volt by itself.

Discspeed pointed it out a while ago, not everyones bag has a spot for the volt.

I would actually agree with this 100%. And yes, a disc with this much hype is going to have people getting offended when someone doesn't like it. It's just a disc. In my opinion, it's a very good disc.. But that doesn't mean everyone has to go drop their drivers that already get the job done in order to accommodate it.

If it works for you, great. If not, great. Throw what you like guys.

Please, if anyone in the Austin area has one of these flippy Volts, bring it to Disc Nation on any weekend and ask ZJ to test it. He got 450'+ dead-stable lines with a bunch of different Volts, so I'd love to hear him tell me your flippy one is legit and unlike all the others that were stable.

For some reason this disc has been out for WEEKS and I haven't seen any reports of a freakishly flippy one finding the hands of a clean power thrower who's gotten stable flights with other Volts. Just test it. It's ridiculous what a small sample size we're arguing over.

"All Volts are flippy, cuz mine flipped, and also yes I throw so good."
"Volts are stable, cuz mine went stable for days."
These two archers need to exchange arrows and test.

Its a great disc, whether some people like the disc or not, it certainly can't fit everyone's play style thats for sure, if that were true we would all be throwing the same discs.

I was just refering to those whom i witnessed throwing it like newbs and expected better results, while saying they dont like it because they failed to execute properly.

:popcorn:

This is exactly what I was hoping you were communicating. I don't like hearing noobs say they can only FH bosses because they have too much torque. Or that they can't FH mids because they have too much power.

I'm sure you are experiencing the same thing. Noobs that throw 275' saying it sucks and its a meathook, or noobs that throw 275' saying its flippy because I can't get it straight.

Glad we are on the same page :thmbup:

Please, if anyone in the Austin area has one of these flippy Volts, bring it to Disc Nation on any weekend and ask ZJ to test it. He got 450'+ dead-stable lines with a bunch of different Volts, so I'd love to hear him tell me your flippy one is legit and unlike all the others that were stable.

For some reason this disc has been out for WEEKS and I haven't seen any reports of a freakishly flippy one finding the hands of a clean power thrower who's gotten stable flights with other Volts. Just test it. It's ridiculous what a small sample size we're arguing over.

This. I have people tell me all the time that the fuse is garbage and you can't BH it for jack, but its because they are bad. I think having someone as a standard is a fantastic idea.

For clarifacation I am a non power player I max out at 300 or a little over. I liked the Volt it was a straight shooter with a little fade at the end of its flight. The problem is that with me not having a big arm its not as easy to shape shots like it is when I use a River. So my thought was maybe it could fill the PD or Teebird type roll. The problem with that idea is that when the wind picks up the Volt doesnt hold up as well as a Teebird or PD on headwind drives. I will say this if I had a little more power so that I could work this disc on multiple lines easier it would make the bag. So I need to hit the gym and work on my form.;)

I used the Volt in a tourney over the weekend and had a few people ask to throw it during lunch after seeing me carve the long wooded fairways with it. Most of them came back saying they would pick one up.

After more time, I have found that the Volt isn't quite as understable as my River. My River doesn't turn a whole lot to begin with, but the Volt turns about half as much as the River. I am getting a bit more distance from the Volt over the River too, which isn't necessarily a pro because it is sitting in between the distance of the Flow and River (maybe closer to the Flow even) for me like I said before. The Volt is controllable on more lines than the Flows though.

Having said that, for the winter, this is replacing my River (unless it snows). I threw my gold GL River a couple of times before the tourney, and had to search for about 5-10 min to find it both times. My white Volt is extremely easy to find even in the leaves and pine needles.

I've still got one of each. :thmbup: Maybe they make understable ones, or maybe my form sucks (it's pretty okay) and they make very overstable ones. Either way, they vary. :D I'm nowhere near Texas, as much as I might rather be - had to clean snow off my car this morning..

Last edited:
Picked up a Volt and it now has a permanent space in my bag. It carves lines in wooded courses and is now my go to fairway driver!!!!!!