• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

My wish for next three discs to be released from MVP: moderately overstable disc similar to PD/OLF, strongly overstable disc similar to FB/XXX/Pred and understable mid (i.e. Fuse).

I just played T-2 coures at Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake (it has been a long while since I played that course) today and I realized I need more understable version of Volt, more like Star Roadrunner as there are some holes I would like to throw easy anny lines (Volt likes to fight back at the end of flight). FH the Volt would work but the problem is that my FH does not have good distance and consistency as my BH (that is something I really work on now).

Also I threw Volt as BH rollers at hole 7 and it was pretty good (good shot for long birdie putt), but I believe the more understable version of Volt would stand up much longer thus go further and get closer to that basket than a Volt would (I threw BH roller four Volts and all four landed in same area within like 15 feet circile).

So in this case I would opt for more undrestable version of Volt aka Star RR over more understable Axis aka Fuse.

It's not a huge gripe for me but it's pretty glaring when you view it in the context of all the talk that gets thrown around. In reality, their track record isn't that stellar. The Anode and Ion are very consistent. But, then again, what putters aren't? The Vector and Axis both vary a bit regularly. I think it's actually nice being able to find different versions of your favorite discs, but people do like to complain about it, and I do think MVP's consistency has been overstated a bit.

I do see MVP's consistency overstated on here("I have 3 Axis and they are all the same, MVP is the most consistent evar!")...I'd bet that I have thrown as many different MVP discs as anyone, and each mold shows a little variation. Variation is also more obvious with neutral mold designs than overstable/understable designs, and most MVP's discs are in that category. I do think they are more consistent and have tighter control of what they are putting out than any other company, which they have to as they mold each disc twice, doubling the chance for weird molding things to happen.

Like you, I do actually appreciate a little variation and I believe absolute consistency is something that would at the very least not be worth the cost to achieve it.

Has anyone had trouble getting these to lift? I don't what it is (probably me), but I just seem to keep throwing my volt low to the ground.

Has anyone had trouble getting these to lift? I don't what it is (probably me), but I just seem to keep throwing my volt low to the ground.

The thing that surprised me about the Volt was that it holds low lines well and won't climb. The only way I get mine to climb is to flip it up from a slight hyzer, but that'll make any disc climb.

If you're throwing low lines, the disc will stay on a low line. Are they just dying on you? Or heading straight for the ground on release?

Are they just dying on you? Or heading straight for the ground on release?

A little bit of both. I'm trying to release it flat and hard but it still seems to head for the ground about 275-300'. On hyzer I'm just releasing too low and it burns on me.

The only thing I can think of right now is that the shallow rim is causing a slightly premature release, but that'd be something you'd have to call. If I remember correctly, there was a discussion in the official MVP thread about the same problem with the Axis, and it came down to spin and height. But that's a mid--so slightly different.

Maybe the big guys here can help out more.

The only thing I can think of right now is that the shallow rim is causing a slightly premature release, but that'd be something you'd have to call. If I remember correctly, there was a discussion in the official MVP thread about the same problem with the Axis, and it came down to spin and height. But that's a mid--so slightly different.

Maybe the big guys here can help out more.

Thanks man, I guess a vid of me throwing would help too. :\

I had the same ground-aim issue when I went for a big power grip rip, but I'm sure that was more to with only getting 4 fingers on the rim for special occasions.

I'm really liking my less stable ones for my FH. While I can pitch a wobbletronic Firebird flex shot as well as the next FH n00b, I'm trying to keep develop a more finesse focused FH using putters/Fuse/Rivers. The less stable volts are nice and straight at my current level, though certainly "too much disc" for 250'.

That said, they're out of the bag and Beasts are back in for the home course tournament I'm doing this weekend. I brought the Volts to a tournament where it was windier than the practice round I played with them a week before, and I just couldn't place my trust in 'em and ended up discing down to my trusty TB's and generally they were just dead weight in my bag. If this winter is anything like last year, though, I'll get familiar with 'em soon enough.

I took my Neutron Volt, Z Buzzz and D Zone to Vegas with me this last weekend. Unfortunately for me to wind conditions were absolutely nuts, with gusts up to 40 mph. Most throws were just a crapshoot. My Volt sure got some seasoning thanks to a few errant throws onto roads, parking lots, and rocky ob areas at Red Ridge and Mountain Crest Parks. I was surprised to see how many dings the rim acrued compared to my Proton Vector that I have used on rocky courses in the past and it has stood up very solidly.

Dumb question: Is the Neutron overmold made of different plastic than the Proton overmolds? Or is the difference 100% in the core of the discs?

Wing shape most definitely factors into the fragility of higher speed discs say, relative to putters.

Has anyone else got some good dings and scars on their Volts yet?

My overmold has seen trees and a metal road sign about 50 feet off the tee. You'd never know it hit anything, aside from cosmetic scuffs.

I hit a boulder at about 250' out and it took a bunch of tiny chunks out of the wing. Didn't appear to bend up or down at all like DX/Pro/softer Star plastic though. Still flies nice.

Dumb question: Is the Neutron overmold made of different plastic than the Proton overmolds? Or is the difference 100% in the core of its discs?

Has anyone else got some good dings and scars on their Volts yet?

The overmold is the same type of plastic. In fact, even the Eclipse overmold is more or less the same plastic, just with phosphorescent elements packed in. I ha e found the Eclipse to actually be a little tougher.

I don't have any chunks out of my Volts yet, but at a tourney this weekend I smacked a tree so hard that I had sap about a quarter inch deep onto the rim. After I wiped it off I noticed some pretty bad scuffage, but no serious gouges...yet.

I've got a huge chip out of one of my ions, it looks like a 1/4" thumbprint, hasn't changed the flight at all. Did some damage to my Volt with some OH's the other day too. This island is a very sharp rockpile though and my other 10 MVP discs have only suffered minor damage.

I FINALLY managed to get out to the course with my 171 Red Volt today. It has just been sitting in my bag teasing me.

Based on the reviews/love/hate/confusion yadda yadda I have read on here since the release, I honestly didn't know what to expect.

I was playing in calm conditions, and I would rate the Volt at a - 1 turn and a 2 or 3 fade at 350-370 feet. Thrown with slight hyzer, it would pop up flat and just ride until a healthy fade kicked in. Thrown flat, it exhibited a slow right turn, but nothing too extreme, and faded back nicely. Slight anny release yielded a wide sweeping turn with a reliable fade. One of my slight anny throws over shot a 368 hole by about 15 or 20 feet.

Anyways, to me this disc flies like a slightly worn in SOLF with a more satisfying flight. I'm glad it didn't let me down.

I think I got one of the more overstable black ones. My Opto Saint is far straighter with more forward glide. My Volt has 0 turn unless I seriously try to. I mean, it will stay in my bag for exactly what it does. But it's not beating my Saint for pure distance.