• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Here's the thing about the OAT stuff. When I was learning to throw with my left (off) hand, I frequently used a lightweight teebird because it would readily show my OAT but it still wouldn't turn over. It would wobble like crazy but it held its line because it was genuinely stable. Once I was able to throw it more cleanly it would go on the same line only much farther and without the wobble. When I would throw one of my valkyries, they would wobble and then crash and burn because they were understable and couldn't deal with the OAT.

My point is, MVP markets the volt as a stable driver. If it were truly stable, it would be able to handle some OAT without a problem. If it can't even handle "micro-OAT" (as discspeed mentioned several pages ago) without flipping then I'm sorry, it's just not stable, at least not like a teebird is stable. It sounds like a valk from everything I've read here.

Based on Mike C's vids and the comments in this thread, it appears that if you throw the volt with a good amount of hyzer (see attached pic), then it will hold it's line, but for those of us who throw flat (and not 100% clean all the time) it sounds like it may not the best "stable" option out there...

Attachments

• mikec_volt.JPG
    mikec_volt.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
my white volt seems to be stable. I'm still in the process of working on my form, and my OAT isn't micro. I've watched the volt wobble into a perfect glide on multiple occasions

Probably true. I am also of the opinion that very few us can differentiate between a little bit of hyzer, perfectly flat, or even a little bit on a hyzer when we're throwing. A few degrees here or there is tough to control. And a truly over stable disc will be more forgiving. That's why many like fast, over stable drivers. My FH looks great when I use my XXX. :D They make us all look better than we really are. Sometimes.

The newly released VOLT Mirror ;-)

;) Those are reflections- not shadows :D
533733_221237328007755_2035461805_n.jpg

Let's quit squabbling about how it flies and start marvelling the wonder of Brainwave's dyes!

I'm swapping some texts with Steve a... Maybe we can get some video throwing his volt so people can watch the throws and gauge for themselves.

Let me say this again, I have 3 Volts, 2 of them fly excellent (and identical), 1 of them is super flippy, and they are all the same weight. You can't attribute that to OAT. Some inconstancy is not a big deal, it's not like that sets them apart from any other company out there. At least 2 of the 3 I have throw the same, if it were Innova, all 3 would probably throw differently.

If it were Innova than all 3 would probably be from different runs not the same run.

I know. I meant I want to see if you find a new Volt, or someone else's Volt that is supposedly flippy, and film a few tosses.

My point is that I don't think it's the disc. It's the thrower.

I am sure if i backed off on my arm speed to 300' or so I might get the same results as you but I use a buzzz for that distance and I don't intend to replace it with a high speed driver. Assuming people are oating it because the flight is different than you had at 265'-300' is pretty funny imo.

To be clear, I never said they were "super flippy." I think they are understable, and not very good in the wind. I think they'll work fine for someone who has a fairly clean throw, but not a ton of power. My main gripe is their feel in the hand. The rim is very shallow, and since my hands are big, it feels a little off in my grip.

I am sure if i backed off on my arm speed to 300' or so I might get the same results as you but I use a buzzz for that distance and I don't intend to replace it with a high speed driver. Assuming people are oating it because the flight is different than you had at 265'-300' is pretty funny imo.

You need to read before you post. That's all I have to say about that.

Yea Volt!

I've been busy running tournaments, but I've been reading this thread still. Wow is all I have to say about all this stability dispute...All I know is that mine aren't flippy either...Even my light pink, which does have pronounced high speed turn, is not flippy. To me a flippy disc is a disc that keeps turning deep into it's flight...My pink Volt just flips a bit and then holds and fades...Not flippy. I've been using my yellow as my stable Volt and the pink for turning shots.

After using the Volt for a while now the disc I honestly think it is most like is a good Viking (good luck finding those these days). I threw Vikings when they debuted and the Volt really reminds me of those more than anything else.

The Volt is still something very new to MVP and I know they will end up being more consistent as they figure out the nuances of what they are doing now.

My point is, MVP markets the volt as a stable driver. If it were truly stable, it would be able to handle some OAT without a problem. If it can't even handle "micro-OAT" (as discspeed mentioned several pages ago) without flipping then I'm sorry, it's just not stable, at least not like a teebird is stable. It sounds like a valk from everything I've read here.

Based on Mike C's vids and the comments in this thread, it appears that if you throw the volt with a good amount of hyzer (see attached pic), then it will hold it's line, but for those of us who throw flat (and not 100% clean all the time) it sounds like it may not the best "stable" option out there...

Micro OAT doesn't make a stable disc flippy, it just makes discs (especially MVP) fly more understable. OAT makes Teebirds more understable too, which is why it's not a particularly popular FH driver despite being very popular among BH power players. So a stable disc is straight assuming no OAT, but will turn with OAT.

BTW, watch Mike's videos some more. He is VERY rarely throwing his flat shots with the amount of hyzer you are showing in that pic. I'm throwing my Volts flat or with slight hyzer for straight shots. You are right, for some it is not the best option for a stable driver.

I'm still enjoying the Volt more than any of my other discs. For me it is incredibly versatile and I'm using it a ton. I wanted a more stable/PD type disc before the Volt came out, but I'm very pleased with what I got. Instead of replacing my PDs the Volt sits as about as perfect a compliment as I could imagine. If MVP makes a moderately overstable driver like the PD/OLF they will have one hell of a one-two punch.

Took mine out for a couple rounds today. I'd rate it around 8/5/-1/2. I wasn't overly impressed but it's a fine disc. My first throw with it I ripped it straight into a boulder 250' up the fairway and the overmold sustained a good bit of road rash type damage but it didn't seem to have an effect on the flight.

The somewhat disappointing thing about the Volt is the variation. They do appear to range from Sidewinder-esque almost up to Star TeeBird type stability. I'm used to it with other companies but we've been set up to expect better from MVP.

The somewhat disappointing thing about the Volt is the variation. They do appear to range from Sidewinder-esque almost up to Star TeeBird type stability. I'm used to it with other companies but we've been set up to expect better from MVP.

We expect better from MVP because that is what they have given us...However we all know that most of the exceptions come when MVP is breaking new ground. The Volt is the most "different" thing they have done, not to mention working with a new machine. If the past is anything to go by then I'd expect the variation in the Volts to tighten up as they run more.