• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

We expect better from MVP because that is what they have given us...However we all know that most of the exceptions come when MVP is breaking new ground. The Volt is the most "different" thing they have done, not to mention working with a new machine. If the past is anything to go by then I'd expect the variation in the Volts to tighten up as they run more.

It's not a huge gripe for me but it's pretty glaring when you view it in the context of all the talk that gets thrown around. In reality, their track record isn't that stellar. The Anode and Ion are very consistent. But, then again, what putters aren't? The Vector and Axis both vary a bit regularly. I think it's actually nice being able to find different versions of your favorite discs, but people do like to complain about it, and I do think MVP's consistency has been overstated a bit.

Took mine out for a couple rounds today. I'd rate it around 8/5/-1/2. I wasn't overly impressed but it's a fine disc. My first throw with it I ripped it straight into a boulder 250' up the fairway and the overmold sustained a good bit of road rash type damage but it didn't seem to have an effect on the flight.

The somewhat disappointing thing about the Volt is the variation. They do appear to range from Sidewinder-esque almost up to Star TeeBird type stability. I'm used to it with other companies but we've been set up to expect better from MVP.

I have not experienced any variation with the volt. Although I did recently pickup a roadrunner that is as overstable as a boss.

First round with my volt. Id rate it 8/5/-1/1

It felt great coming out of the hand and flew like a bullet. I could hit hyzers and annys with it on command. Definitely staying in the bag somewhere :)

I took my 173 vader out for a round today. I don't mind the shallow grip on it and the stiffness is something to get use to. I don't know what it is about my throws today but I kept throwing it towards the ground. I did get some good straight shots and hyzers with it but more ground burners than flyers. I tried a couple short flick shots that went straight to the ground as well. I need to spend more time with it I guess. The loss of daylight kind of put a damper on things. I know I'll love this disc just have to give it some time.

After a few rounds with my hot pink 173, I'd rate mine at speed 9, glide 5, turn 0, fade 1/2. I'm definitely happy with it, feels easy to throw straight and pretty far.

I've been using mine for about a week now, 3-4 rounds on it at this point. The disc itself is pretty awesome...I got an orange 169 that is slightly understable. The only problem is that I like to run a minimalist bag, and I don't know what disc this would replace. For drivers I carry a star leopard, champ teebird, champ mamba, champ sidewinder, champ wraith, star destroyer. The Volt is longer than the fairway drivers but shorter than the distance drivers. It is almost a shorter Sidewinder. The Volt seems to do all jobs well, but no job as well as any of my current discs. I'm not really sure where I would use it, so it may not make the bag. Kinda disappointing.

Anyone else found a disc that the Volt replaces, or a specific task it does better than those listed? I'm throwing the Volt about 350.

I've been using mine for about a week now, 3-4 rounds on it at this point. The disc itself is pretty awesome...I got an orange 169 that is slightly understable. The only problem is that I like to run a minimalist bag, and I don't know what disc this would replace. For drivers I carry a star leopard, champ teebird, champ mamba, champ sidewinder, champ wraith, star destroyer. The Volt is longer than the fairway drivers but shorter than the distance drivers. It is almost a shorter Sidewinder. The Volt seems to do all jobs well, but no job as well as any of my current discs. I'm not really sure where I would use it, so it may not make the bag. Kinda disappointing.

Anyone else found a disc that the Volt replaces, or a specific task it does better than those listed? I'm throwing the Volt about 350.

Minimalist bag?...if you're counting all those as drivers, as you've stated, that's 7 including the Volt.

I've been using mine for about a week now, 3-4 rounds on it at this point. The disc itself is pretty awesome...I got an orange 169 that is slightly understable. The only problem is that I like to run a minimalist bag, and I don't know what disc this would replace. For drivers I carry a star leopard, champ teebird, champ mamba, champ sidewinder, champ wraith, star destroyer. The Volt is longer than the fairway drivers. but shorter than the distance drivers. It is almost a shorter Sidewinder. The Volt seems to do all jobs well, but no job as well as any of my current discs. I'm not really sure where I would use it, so it may not make the bag. Kinda disappointing.

That's not fey minimalist. Like, at all. My bug out bag (in my sig) is what I consider minimums, and some people would say even that is too much. If you really want a minimum disc bag, go with something like a Volt, Leo, XL, Eagle, whatever, for a driver. One or two miss and a putter. If that's what you are looking for, I think the Volt is a great driver choice. I have two in my bug out bag right now just because one is awaiting a sick brainwave dye. One volt should be fine. High weight Stormtrooper.

Took my Volts for several rounds at Kendall Hammocks in Miami. I threw Sword, PD, Villain along with Volt and most of time Volt is as far as Sword/PD (I am about 300 feet thrower) and sometimes Volt goes further than the two.

I threw Volt on some holes that I normally thew FD in the past and Volt worked very well and more consistently.

There was a round where there was a strong headwind (I would say 20 MPH or so) and I brought four Volts that time and I threw the first one too much hyzer release and went left too much, then I threw a flat one (perhaps slight anhyzer) and it turned right (headwinds makes it more understable) so I threw the last two with slight hyzer) and it flipped up and went mostly straight (slightly tracking to the right). Then I threw a mostly new S-PD released flat and it went straight and landed down with slight fade. PD is furthest with one Volt only few feet behind.

I normally like to release flat and I def need to work on release with slight hyzer consistently.

With headwind like this, PD would be the ideal/better disc for me.

So far, Volt has replaced my FDs as Volt can do what I used to do with FDs.

I have so far threw 6 Volts (in varying weights (168-175) and different colors and all of them are pretty much similar. I would say the one I threw orange 168g is hair more stable, but very little difference.
It is more of archer than arrow in my case.

I agree with Discspeed that the next ideal disc from MVP would be moderately overstable disc similar to PD/OLF to compliment the Volt.

My wish for next three discs to be released from MVP: moderately overstable disc similar to PD/OLF, strongly overstable disc similar to FB/XXX/Pred and understable mid (i.e. Fuse).

That's not fey minimalist. Like, at all. My bug out bag (in my sig) is what I consider minimums, and some people would say even that is too much. If you really want a minimum disc bag, go with something like a Volt, Leo, XL, Eagle, whatever, for a driver. One or two miss and a putter. If that's what you are looking for, I think the Volt is a great driver choice. I have two in my bug out bag right now just because one is awaiting a sick brainwave dye. One volt should be fine. High weight Stormtrooper.

what is a bug out bag???

Pretty sure he means a bag that you just grab and go, a small bag with only the essentials (you need to survive).

Exactly. Something you can keep in your car, office, wherever to just go grab a quick round and have some fun. With the addition of the Volt, Ive found that MVPs line ia ideal for this. I might have to trim my down even more and go with only one Volt in the B.O.B. if, for nothing else, to remain color coordinated. I have the Skulltrooper when everything else is blue.

I digress....

I think the Volt is a great driver for all levels. I haven't seen the inconsistency yet, but as I always say., maybe I just got lucky.

MVP is great for a bug out bag for sure. It was so liberating just carrying 4 discs on my last round. There's no picking and chosing what you're gonna throw. It seemed to make me shape lines more as well, instead of chosing a specific disc for each task, I made the disc do what I wanted.

Plus the bag is so much lighter too. Makes the round more enjoyable.

Yup the Volt has rounded out my bag enough that I can play just an MVP round. I can leave 3 discs in the service van and play any time there's a break in work. The Volt is great for short OH, I'm digging the flat powered up lines and the stable low speed shots <200ft.

tn_hueston-woods011.jpg

I found this on a bench at Disctractions/Hueston Woods in OH. Is this for charging the Volt??

Not as neutral as a tl in my hands, very saint like however, my friend throws a saint and it was interchangeable in his hands without missing a beat.