• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I have three Volt videos linked to in my signature.

I know. I meant I want to see if you find a new Volt, or someone else's Volt that is supposedly flippy, and film a few tosses.

My point is that I don't think it's the disc. It's the thrower.

I know. I meant I want to see if you find a new Volt, or someone else's Volt that is supposedly flippy, and film a few tosses.

The one pspunch threw was mine. I have only thrown it three times but it popped up from. A slight hyzer and flipped into a cut roller almost every time. I threw my 166 1.1 solf right after and it went 400'+ on a great line. I don't think its the thrower, the disc is more understable than I was led to believe.

just got mine out and threw it (along with a very light dx gator and a pro line gremlin) it holds a nice line. a great flex with a slight fade.. kind of like a shorter PD..

Hoping you guys just have more OAT than me

Heh, a bit more I'm sure! And not nearly the distance/snap I see you throw with. I'm getting out to 330' on average with these and a couple Saints. My more sensitive discs (see sig) tell me I'm throwing pretty clean - but, the Optopure reminds me pretty often that I could clean up my hyzer releases some more.

Broke down and grabbed a few. I actually bought 2 black ones against my better judgement. But they were 169s and a noodle arm like me needs all the help I can get. Too bad they are actually 171s. B*stards! Not that 2 grams should matter, but I would have gotten a brighter color instead. Oh well.

As for performance, they seem pretty nice to me. The rim fits my hand well and feel very comfortable. I threw them into some light headwinds on several holes, and they perform just like my KC Pro Teebirds. But my Teebirds are all around 160. The Volt was dead straight with a predictable fade on my drives that ranged from a few poor 250' efforts up to a couple around 325' into the light headwind. IMO so far, that Volt, Saint and Teebird are all pretty interchangeable for people throwing around 300'. I do think the Teebirds have handled headwinds better than my Saints when it really gets gusting. I will need to see how the Volt does, but light or moderate winds it should be fine. I didn't get a chance to manipulate it through any wooded fairways yet do that will have to wait a day or two.

i don't think it was the thrower in my case... i was the thrower, so the throw was aces... as are alllllll of my throws :D

all kidding aside, my forms not bad. I get a clean release and solid power. I play a lot of golf with a lot of different throwers, I know what bad throws look like and what OAT looks like, it's just not what's happening in this instance.

Just got two Volts in the mail from Justin at Community. Can't say enough about his outstanding customer service. His MVP order was delayed due to Sandy as I had asked specifically for colors and weights that I like. He kept me in the loop regarding the delay and shipped them out promptly. Got a 170 Hot Pink and a 170 Lime along with a 167 Lime GL River. Sad to say though they they won't get thrown for a week as were getting dumped on with snow right now and the forecast calls for snow all weekend!

I might even agree with this if I didn't have one that flies as described, two that are less HSS, and photos of the physical variation between them.

I'd be willing to trade one of the lower PLH ones for one in a matching weight, in the interest of science.

who cares what bdodson has to say...

25 mph winds, VOLT is 175, white with cpat america dye

i think i average 330+ good drives i can get 375.

So the VOLT does not like headwind. Every time i threw it in a head wind the disc burned right on me. I had one throw where i lined up wrong and saw the HSS and some fade back (a legit S-curve) , sneaky d about 350.

i did not get good throws with the tailwind and thought they were going to hyzer spike, but actually went farther than I thought they would. You can see the the glide carry the disc and I had some skip forward like a teebird does, instead of hard left

i threw one hole and the disc burned hard right and hit a rock which kept it from going too far. I threw a teebird on the same line, and the teebird resisted the turn and kept fighting forward.

wind is not usually a factor here in vegas, so im not too worried. but the disc feels great and i can see the potential for it, without a head wind.

i am interested in this disc in proton or eclipse plastic because i imagine it will resist the turn a bit more.

Got a red and white both 173 and both had identical PLH's and flights. I only have a 335' max d but I've gotten it with the volt. (Before was 305') This disc is very solid. Not necessarily a game-changer but it's earned a spot in my bag and I'm sure many others.

Ok guys.. i was throwing this disc and it was flying like an understable disc for a while, now that im more used to the disc, i can throw it without OAT and it doesnt turn AT ALL anymore.. It flies dead straight and forward fade at the end when thrown flat.

Try focusing on your form, how your holding the disc and how the disc is coming off your grip when you release. If your disc comes out wobbling (OAT-Off Axis Torque) its going to turn A LOT.

The Volt is insanely touchy when it comes to release.. just sayin

Try focusing on your form, how your holding the disc and how the disc is coming off your grip when you release. If your disc comes out wobbling (OAT-Off Axis Torque) its going to turn A LOT.

This has been said before about MVP discs, but I'll say it again--they're not your typical pick-it-up-and-throw it type discs. You really do have to know the disc and throw it well, otherwise it will make you pay. I think the Volt bears this out even more than the mids and putters.

Good form and spin--MVP is awesome.
Bad form and strong-arm--MVP makes you feel like you can't play disc golf.

Personally, I've had the fortune of "figuring out" MVP's discs relatively quickly. But there are definitely times when I feel like they're working against me.

My Volts are flippy, and it is not OAT. Just accept that these are not as consistent as you want them to be.

Ok guys.. i was throwing this disc and it was flying like an understable disc for a while, now that im more used to the disc, i can throw it without OAT and it doesnt turn AT ALL anymore.. It flies dead straight and forward fade at the end when thrown flat.

Why in the world would I want a disc that is "insanely touchy"? This has pretty much convinced me to not get a volt.

I've wobbled 'em quite a bit adn they don't roll that hard, no more than my Saints or Rivers do on a bad release.

The PLH varies, and the stability with it. Maybe I got [lucky/unlucky] with the ones I got, or maybe its somewhat common. I'm just trying to help with the consensus on this disc, and if 2/3 of mine have low PLH and low HSS, then that's worth noting as a physical variance, independent of how I may or may not throw. I'm well aware that people on the internet are far to solipsistic to simply take someones word when they say things like "I'm not terrible at disc golf." ;)

FLippy Volts? They are all the rage here in Colorado, and I have yet to see one that is flippy...maybe it's our elevation...

I have been known to throw with quite a bit of OAT, especially when I get tired, and my 176 Stormtrooper is anything but flippy. My frequent playing partner has one of the 171g hot pink ones, and it flies just the same as mine, though he throws with a touch less power (which also means less tendency to have OAT in hsi throws). We both got ours from DiscNation, so maybe we jsut got a really good run?

It's because people are strong arming them and throwing the OAT. ;)

It's because people are strong arming them and throwing the OAT. ;)

Let me say this again, I have 3 Volts, 2 of them fly excellent (and identical), 1 of them is super flippy, and they are all the same weight. You can't attribute that to OAT. Some inconstancy is not a big deal, it's not like that sets them apart from any other company out there. At least 2 of the 3 I have throw the same, if it were Innova, all 3 would probably throw differently.

Why in the world would I want a disc that is "insanely touchy"? This has pretty much convinced me to not get a volt.

That's kind of what I was thinking. However, I'm not inclined to believe that. All discs are squirrelly when you throw poorly, and nearly all of them fly nicely when you're good. I haven't found any other MVP discs to be any more punishing than any other discs.

whentherains come more or less settled the issue of why some Volts are flying understable, and others more neutral when he posted those pics of 3 differently shaped Volts. Thanks again btw. As a result, I went to the store and did a PLH comparison on the 15 or so that were in stock and they were all the same so I bought one. I'll report my findings later today...

I don't think they are insanely flippy. The Black 171s I threw yesterday certainly are not. I have one of the most OAT heavy, form crappy FHs on earth, and the 2 FHs I threw were wobbly and horrid. But they turned slightly, and ended up pretty straight. The Volts were defintely more stable than my Rivers. And when thrown into a headwind of probably 15-20 MPH they were fine. My buddy turned and burned his Vulcan as a comparison, for whatever that is worth. :\

Latest posts