• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

The Volt seems very intriguing based on all the positive comments here. But I already have too much overlap with my Valkyrie and Saint. I'd have to ditch one of those to carry the Volt, too bad. SP Undertow's, when they come out in reg production, look to be similar and very interesting too...

Pics showing the difference in nose angle (PLH?) in my Volts. First pic is White and my new 169 Orange. Second is the same 169 Orange v 175 Pink.

I got out for a long lunch and played a little 11-hole course. This orange one has a little less turn and a bit more fade than the pink, but I was hoping it would be closer to the stable flight of the white one. Oh well. I can't throw either on a flat release and not get a cut roller. If it wasn't for everyone else's descriptions, I would've thought the white one was the oddball.

I don't dislike the flight at all, and I get more distance with the turning ones. They fit right between my GL Saint and Sidewinder, stability-wise.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting the pics :thmbup:

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting the pics :thmbup:

The difference in PLH between the white and orange is notable. Looks like a different disc, almost. I also have a 169 orange one and find it as others have described: a little turn, up to flat, lots of glide and late forward fade (on a 325-350' throw). A nice, long, straight shooter that's vying for a place in my bag. I don't think I want a Volt that's noticably more stable, like the white ones apparently are.

Pics showing the difference in nose angle (PLH?) in my Volts. First pic is White and my new 169 Orange. Second is the same 169 Orange v 175 Pink.

I got out for a long lunch and played a little 11-hole course. This orange one has a little less turn and a bit more fade than the pink, but I was hoping it would be closer to the stable flight of the white one. Oh well. I can't throw either on a flat release and not get a cut roller. If it wasn't for everyone else's descriptions, I would've thought the white one was the oddball.

I don't dislike the flight at all, and I get more distance with the turning ones. They fit right between my GL Saint and Sidewinder, stability-wise.

See this worries me a bit. The White Volt looks so different from the Orange (PLH).

How could there be such a difference? :confused:

a little turn, up to flat, lots of glide and late forward fade (on a 325-350' throw).

That's actually a good description of how my white one flies. It's not that the stormtrooper is overstable, it just has way more HSS than the others. The 169 is looking like a great hyzer flip disc. Akin to my PPD's, tons more durable, though naturally a bit less LSS. :thmbup:

Much like my Soft Anode that almost has a bead from the core sticking out under the overmold. Still love that disc though. Flies like an Ion/Anode hybrid.

The Volt should be a perfect disc for you to improve your distance and accuracy. I would reccomend a few other fairway drivers, but I'm sure you already are throwing them. I see the Volt has amazing for experienced players, but also a great begginers disc.

Would others agree with this? I'm a relative newbie throwing about 275' feet consistently. I've mostly avoided the Volt hype because I assumed it would be out of my comfort level at the moment. But seeing this makes me wonder if I shouldn't consider it a bit more.

Volt flies like a faster Stalker to me. It's pretty stable and reliable. Still trying to figure out if I like my 174 yellow or my 170 orange better. Probably ought to just pick one and go with it.

Would others agree with this? I'm a relative newbie throwing about 275' feet consistently. I've mostly avoided the Volt hype because I assumed it would be out of my comfort level at the moment. But seeing this makes me wonder if I shouldn't consider it a bit more.

I throw about what you throw. The Volt is still a great disc for you. It'll be very straight, and have a nice fade at the end when thrown flat. Everyone could use a disc like that.

This disc has been a bit of a disapointment to me. For one thing, both of the two that I have are way too flippy to be useful for me. I am about a 450' thrower, and if I want an S-curve disc, there are better options out there for me. My other main complaint is the feel of the disc. I have rather large hands and the rim on the Volt is pretty shallow, which makes my normal grip feel a little bit awkward and uncomfortable.

Like most high speed understable discs, they were very poor in the wind. I just would not trust them on a hard throw in anything other than calm conditions. Supposedly there are more stable ones out there, but that kind of flies in the face of the whole, "buy MVP because they're consistent" idea. Seems like most people's are pretty understable.

I'm not saying its a bad disc, per se. I'd certainly give one to any 350' ish thrower and I think it would probably get them close to their max D, but for me, this slot has been taken by FD's, and I'm way happier with them. I'm afraid that mvp's style of disc making may not be translating very well into drivers, at least for me. This is not a biased opinion. I have had mvp in my bag since the beginning, and still have 5 of the original orange rimmed Ions. I still currently throw an eary run, super straight flying Ion, and also a couple of Vectors.

Anyway, if you're a more powerful thrower, have big hands, and are still on the fence, maybe skip it. That's my only input here. Take it or leave it.

This disc has been a bit of a disapointment to me. For one thing, both of the two that I have are way too flippy to be useful for me. I am about a 450' thrower, and if I want an S-curve disc, there are better options out there for me. My other main complaint is the feel of the disc. I have rather large hands and the rim on the Volt is pretty shallow, which makes my normal grip feel a little bit awkward and uncomfortable.

Like most high speed understable discs, they were very poor in the wind. I just would not trust them on a hard throw in anything other than calm conditions. Supposedly there are more stable ones out there, but that kind of flies in the face of the whole, "buy MVP because they're consistent" idea. Seems like most people's are pretty understable.

I'm not saying its a bad disc, per se. I'd certainly give one to any 350' ish thrower and I think it would probably get them close to their max D, but for me, this slot has been taken by FD's, and I'm way happier with them. I'm afraid that mvp's style of disc making may not be translating very well into drivers, at least for me. This is not a biased opinion. I have had mvp in my bag since the beginning, and still have 5 of the original orange rimmed Ions. I still currently throw an eary run, super straight flying Ion, and also a couple of Vectors.

Anyway, if you're a more powerful thrower, have big hands, and are still on the fence, maybe skip it. That's my only input here. Take it or leave it.

FD's are fine into the wind at 450' power? They must be more stable than I thought. Maybe that -1 turn isn't there. I don't throw FD's, just curious.

Well now I'm a bit worried. I hope I'll be able to get more Volts like the ones I have because last round I threw my flipper Volt was fighting out of an anhyzer release at 400' of D, and I was throwing absolute lasers with a flat release in the 350-390' range. I would like one of these more understables to compliment the ones I have, but I want to be able to get more stable ones to cycle once mine beat in. Might order a few max weight green/yellows and whites soon and hope for the best. Hoping you guys just have more OAT than me :p

Well now I'm a bit worried. I hope I'll be able to get more Volts like the ones I have because last round I threw my flipper Volt was fighting out of an anhyzer release at 400' of D, and I was throwing absolute lasers with a flat release in the 350-390' range. I would like one of these more understables to compliment the ones I have, but I want to be able to get more stable ones to cycle once mine beat in. Might order a few max weight green/yellows and whites soon and hope for the best. Hoping you guys just have more OAT than me :p

I'm at least 90% certain that's the case... I've not seen a flippy Volt with a clean release yet. (Limited sample size, but still.)

This could also be first run kinks that MVP has to work out. Didn't this happen with the Ion and Vector?

Even still, I enjoy having a couple of the same mold to get different flights. Makes grip problems not a big deal.

Possibly. I've seen a lot of people describe the Axis as understable, and having thrown 20 or so of them I've yet to find one with high speed turn on a 350'+ throw. But those pictures above do show a decent variation in PLH so who knows.

I finally got to throw a volt yesterday, 169 yellow, it was pretty darn flippy. Turned a lot and didn't have the fade to pull out. I got it just right a couple times and could get a big S-curve flight, but nothin even close to straight.

I did like the feel of the disc, and almost bought the one I threw, but it wasn't at all what I was expecting from the reviews I've read on here

I thought Volts are pretty straight and not S curve drivers...lower speed "control driver" and all that. Are people seriously getting S curve kind of lateral movement out of these? I can see it "maybe" happening in a headwind, assuming not too brutal and enough LSS to save itself. What gives? In the two video reviews here it seemed to hold good lines under power.

I want to see Mike C, or someone with clean form film and show us some of these "flippy" Volts.

FLippy Volts? They are all the rage here in Colorado, and I have yet to see one that is flippy...maybe it's our elevation...

I have been known to throw with quite a bit of OAT, especially when I get tired, and my 176 Stormtrooper is anything but flippy. My frequent playing partner has one of the 171g hot pink ones, and it flies just the same as mine, though he throws with a touch less power (which also means less tendency to have OAT in hsi throws). We both got ours from DiscNation, so maybe we jsut got a really good run?

Latest posts