• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Are you kidding me? You need to fix your form. I throw the volt 400-425 and have had zero problems with it being crazy flippy. It turns a little but will fade back perfectly straight in front of you. when I start putting them out to 450 they do make a very subtle turn through their flight until the last 10%. I release with a very small amount of hyzer on those throws.

Not a thing wrong with my form. When I can throw the Saint right next to a Volt and have the Saint be more stable... it's not me. I went and rewatched Mike's vids too to see how my experiences looked next to his. I find it hard to believe he and I are throwing the same disc.

Not a thing wrong with my form. When I can throw the Saint right next to a Volt and have the Saint be more stable... it's not me. I went and rewatched Mike's vids too to see how my experiences looked next to his. I find it hard to believe he and I are throwing the same disc.

Do you throw with a lot of spin on the disc?

Yeah. Don't think this was a "Gyro" thing. I guess i'll just have to pick up a few more and try them out. Could be the cold, dense, windy Maine air I guess...

If that's how you want to play the game, then I'm all for it. I aim to constantly improve my game though. Being able to grip any disc is part of that. If a grip is comfortable with one disc, but not another, it's likely the first grip isn't "correct".

If you're comfortable, you're not improving. If you're fine with that, :thmbup:

I am most definitely all about improving my game. I have literally tried every disc out there in the last six years, so I know all about experimenting in efforts of finding the right discs for me. Unless there is some magical disc coming out that changes everything, I believe I have found what works for me. At this point I can concentrate on footwork, body positioning, wrist angle, etc but now I do not have to worry about grip. One less thing to worry about actually means I can improve faster. At the end I am going to play better when I can add accuracy to the already better than average distance I can get. By no means is my game static or plateaued.

I gave the Volt a try because the Ion, Anode, and Axis are the backbones of my bag.

All power to you if you want to master using different grips. That is a great skill to have. For me, I will stick with comfort and try to improve my aim because for me, when I messed around with every new disc that come onto the market that my game always took a step back. By the time I was back to where I was at when I began, a new disc came out. I think this time I will stick with my bag and take no more steps back.

I picked up 3 Volts, 2 Red, 1 light pink. The 2 red ones throw identical, dead straight with fade forward at the end of the flight. The light pink one is a flippy piece of sh*t. I'm more than a little disappointed about the difference in flight between colors. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I should mention that all 3 scale at 175g. The reds will definitely stay in the bag, just wondering if I should horde more of them.

I picked up 3 Volts, 2 Red, 1 light pink. The 2 red ones throw identical, dead straight with fade forward at the end of the flight. The light pink one is a flippy piece of sh*t. I'm more than a little disappointed about the difference in flight between colors. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I should mention that all 3 scale at 175g. The reds will definitely stay in the bag, just wondering if I should horde more of them.

There have been quite a few conflicting reports of stability. Most people are getting neutral/stable ones but there are others who have said theirs' is/are flippy.

Are there any visual indicators that one could use to determine if the one they're buying is going to be understable? How do the Reds compare to the Pink in terms of PLH and dome? I'm thinking about heading out to GGGT today and checking them out, so I'll be interested to hear more about your findings.

Not a thing wrong with my form. When I can throw the Saint right next to a Volt and have the Saint be more stable... it's not me.

When you've thrown the Saint 1000x more than the Volt it does not necessarily rule out your form (or at least your grip/release mechanics with the Volt). Micro OAT and decent armspeed can make the Volt fly understable (same is true with the Vector, and we all know that disc is not flippy). Give the Volt some more reps. If it really is a flippy freak I'm sure I've got something to trade you for it as I'm having a hard time "hurting" one of my Volts on purpose.

Just got mine yesterday. Haven't been able to throw it yet..:(

173g

volt.jpg

There have been quite a few conflicting reports of stability. Most people are getting neutral/stable ones but there are others who have said theirs' is/are flippy.

Are there any visual indicators that one could use to determine if the one they're buying is going to be understable? How do the Reds compare to the Pink in terms of PLH and dome? I'm thinking about heading out to GGGT today and checking them out, so I'll be interested to hear more about your findings.
Visually, the pink one does look to be just a bit concave in the center of the top. The reds have a very slight dome, but look pretty similar to a PD. The lips are identical. I have a friend with one orange and one green/yellow, that is experiencing similar issues, with the orange being more stable. Oddly enough, the flippy pink one is working fairly well for me as a forehand hyzer-flip disc.

Visually, the pink one does look to be just a bit concave in the center of the top. The reds have a very slight dome, but look pretty similar to a PD. The lips are identical. I have a friend with one orange and one green/yellow, that is experiencing similar issues, with the orange being more stable. Oddly enough, the flippy pink one is working fairly well for me as a forehand hyzer-flip disc.

Interesting, thanks! Too bad about the variation in Volts. Consistency has been one of [MVP's] big selling points. I wonder what's causing it. Seems like a little dip in the dome wouldn't make for such a drastic difference. I'll keep an eye out for those and avoid them if I decide to try 'em out.

^^ yes I'm wondering why the differences based on color and weight. The weight range is only 6-7 grams doesn't seem like you would see such a drastic difference...curious.

Visually, the pink one does look to be just a bit concave in the center of the top.
does it appear to have been molded that way, or could it be from shipping? even if you bought it in a store, it spent a lot of time in a shipping box.

personally, having seen what discs go through just on their way from the factory to retail, i got in the habit of "baking" my plastic back to its molded shape before bagging it.

what the hell is that?
warming it in the sun for a full day, letting it cool overnight. one or two cycles of this can fix even the bottom-of-the-case most warped plates.

shipping warp will always always be a factor in buying new discs, and i think it's as important to new-disc reviews as stating flashing on/off, dome, and PLH.

When you've thrown the Saint 1000x more than the Volt it does not necessarily rule out your form (or at least your grip/release mechanics with the Volt). Micro OAT and decent armspeed can make the Volt fly understable (same is true with the Vector, and we all know that disc is not flippy). Give the Volt some more reps. If it really is a flippy freak I'm sure I've got something to trade you for it as I'm having a hard time "hurting" one of my Volts on purpose.

lol, you crack me up Mike.. As I've already said, it is not me. The key word in the preceding sentence was "not" in case you missed that.

I love me to death some MVP plastic too, but I'm not on the payroll so I can fully admit when I've had a bad experience with one of their discs. Take the first run Vectors for example, they sucked, but then they fixed them and now I can't give them enough praise. In this scenario though, the disc I'm throwing around has the same label and identification as the ones I watched Mike throw in his vids, but it behaves nothing like his. I got a lemon, and that's cool. Sometimes those end up being the most desirable variations of a mold. Just be aware, there is risk in buying this disc.

Is it bad that I ordered one of the offending pinks for the sole purpose of having a flippy Volt? I figured, why not have all the shots covered? :)

We'll see if I still have the same opinion after getting it, though.

My Hot Pink one flies just like the rest of my volts.. but they are all withing 2grams of each other.

I just got an Orange 169g Volt last night, but i have to wait to throw it.. its snowing outside right now in Wisconsin =[