• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

....people are just unwilling to have a grip feel uncomfortable until they get used to it.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head right there. I'm not the kind of player that wants to be uncomfortable with the grip, and have to try different tricks to become used to it (and maybe never become truly comfortable).

I'd rather chose a disc that fits my hand to begin with.

I'm sure most players feel the same way.

How are black 173's flying for everyone? Any feedback in this range? Just got mine today but I unfortunately will not be able to try this baby out today. :(

Just got to use my 173 hot pink Volt the other day in around. It is sweeet! First off, it's very reliable in flight. Dead straight flights every single time with a late fade. Second, I personally have had no trouble in grip, release, or throwing nose up at all. Now, I'm not a power player and can throw 320-330 with my Bliz Wraith. I probably got the Volt to like 280-300 on a dead straight line. For me, I'm very happy with that golf distance. I might be able to get more with some more practice.

The only things I haven't tried out yet is throwing into a headwind and annies. So it'll be good to see how it handles those types of shots.

(Forgot to mention, it was 40 degrees out. I'm not sure how cold it's gotta be to change flight characteristics that much.)

[Also, 100 posts! Woo hoo!]

Last edited:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head right there. I'm not the kind of player that wants to be uncomfortable with the grip, and have to try different tricks to become used to it (and maybe never become truly comfortable).

I agree here as well. In no way am I making a comment on the disc's potential performance. Considering the shape and size of my hand, considering the contact I feel comfortable with against my fingers and in my palm, the Volt is just not designed for me. Because it does not feel comfortable, I do not get the results which are acceptable for my game. I feel the same way of beaded discs; I know there are several people out there that have no problems throwing Cyclones, I just cannot.

Most definitely I can change how I grip the Volt in order to get it to fly worth my while to put it in my bag, but is the Volt that magical where I should be messing around with my grip? I leave that as an open question.

Being comfortable with a grip means that it becomes automatic. You no longer have to worry about release points, the pressure needed by your grip, and all the other things that fall under muscle memory. I can instead concentrate on other important aspects such as my moving feet, where to position myself on the teebox, and my wrist angle. One less thing to worry about such as grip is one less thing that can go wrong.

How are black 173's flying for everyone? Any feedback in this range? Just got mine today but I unfortunately will not be able to try this baby out today. :(

It sucks. If you're a 400' thrower these things are a Flippy nuisance that are hard to dial in considering the stupid amount of hyzer you need at release. I'm not buying the hype on this one, it's not "all that".

I don't know what it is but I'm flipping my wrist or something. Both of my volts are turning big time. They're acting like Rivers more than volts. I took a week or so off and that might have been what killed my form.

I agree here as well. In no way am I making a comment on the disc's potential performance. Considering the shape and size of my hand, considering the contact I feel comfortable with against my fingers and in my palm, the Volt is just not designed for me. Because it does not feel comfortable, I do not get the results which are acceptable for my game. I feel the same way of beaded discs; I know there are several people out there that have no problems throwing Cyclones, I just cannot.

Most definitely I can change how I grip the Volt in order to get it to fly worth my while to put it in my bag, but is the Volt that magical where I should be messing around with my grip? I leave that as an open question.

Being comfortable with a grip means that it becomes automatic. You no longer have to worry about release points, the pressure needed by your grip, and all the other things that fall under muscle memory. I can instead concentrate on other important aspects such as my moving feet, where to position myself on the teebox, and my wrist angle. One less thing to worry about such as grip is one less thing that can go wrong.

If that's how you want to play the game, then I'm all for it. I aim to constantly improve my game though. Being able to grip any disc is part of that. If a grip is comfortable with one disc, but not another, it's likely the first grip isn't "correct".

If you're comfortable, you're not improving. If you're fine with that, :thmbup:

I don't know what it is but I'm flipping my wrist or something. Both of my volts are turning big time. They're acting like Rivers more than volts. I took a week or so off and that might have been what killed my form.

Wow. Taking a week off kills your game? You're game is weak sauce bro.

I may have been a little harsh. It's flippy as all hell but I could technically make it work to do what I want. Doing so would require getting used to a significantly additional amount of hyzer than I am traditionally used to however. It's not an uncomfortable amount of hyzer per se, but there is definitely enough of it that it adds a major extra variable to every shot. It's like an almost beat in DX Valkyrie.

I may have been a little harsh. It's flippy as all hell but I could technically make it work to do what I want. Doing so would require getting used to a significantly additional amount of hyzer than I am traditionally used to however. It's not an uncomfortable amount of hyzer per se, but there is definitely enough of it that it adds a major extra variable to every shot. It's like an almost beat in DX Valkyrie.

You must have a 900' arm. People that can throw 500 seem to say that the disc can fly on an hyzer for a long time. Mike C comes to mind. (I'm believe he can throw 500 anyway?) they certainly don't call it dlippy as hell.

Anyway, would you sell me yours now lol?

The discjunkie 400'+ first-session frozen ropes that I saw beg to differ, BUT arms is arms and obviously some arms feel the Volt is a throwaway Valkyrie.

SHort answer: no.

Long answer: as has been previous alluded to, not ever disc is for everyone. I love the Volt, and think it's exactly what I'm looking for. But if every disc worked the same for every person, then we wouldn't have so many discs out there. One of the good things about our sport is new discs are fairly cheap, so it's not going to break your bank to try something new and not like it.

I've let most of my DG buddies throw my Volts, most of them bought a few the next day. People that don't normally throw MVP will have a hard time adjusting to a driver with Gyro, but the thing is just so damn sweet you should give it a try at the very least.

The discjunkie 400'+ first-session frozen ropes that I saw beg to differ, BUT arms is arms and obviously some arms feel the Volt is a throwaway Valkyrie.

Color, weight? It's not like this would be the first time two people threw a new disc and it behaving completely different for them (and it wasn't the throwers). I have no doubt in my arm, but like I said it wasn't so bad it was unusable, it was just more than I want to deal with.

If you asked me to put it on a frozen rope I certainly could, but I wouldn't enjoy the hyzer I would have to throw it with to do it.

It sucks. If you're a 400' thrower these things are a Flippy nuisance that are hard to dial in considering the stupid amount of hyzer you need at release. I'm not buying the hype on this one, it's not "all that".

Are you kidding me? You need to fix your form. I throw the volt 400-425 and have had zero problems with it being crazy flippy. It turns a little but will fade back perfectly straight in front of you. when I start putting them out to 450 they do make a very subtle turn through their flight until the last 10%. I release with a very small amount of hyzer on those throws.

I've let most of my DG buddies throw my Volts, most of them bought a few the next day. People that don't normally throw MVP will have a hard time adjusting to a driver with Gyro, but the thing is just so damn sweet you should give it a try at the very least.

That's the thing about the Volt, though. It looks like a gyro disc and certainly retains its line-holding abilities, but doesn't seem to require as much snap imparted on the disc as with the MVP mids. It is just so damn accessible to a range of throwers, I don't think anyone should be scared off by it.

:wall::wall::wall:

...Sloppy checks Paypal account for funds and pulls up favorite online retailer's site.