• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I'm loving my 175g magenta Volt from Marshall St. It's definitely earned a place in my bag. I now know what was meant by the previous 'forward penetrating' comments.

This disc rocks.

For me, my Stormtrooper Volt flies similar to my Totem Teebird. Similar, not exactly like. My Teebizzle isn't flat...it does have a slight dome, and I think because of that it is a touch more stable than the Volt. But I can push the Volt out about 20-30 feet farther on a good throw.

I have very sloppy form, so when I mess up I usually mess up big, and I've found that the Volt is nto a very fogiving disc. I knwo some people say it is, but it sounds like those are people with very small flaws. For us imperfect persons, it is not an easy disc. But still, I love it. I'm getting a Skulltrooper from DN as a back-up/Brainwave Therapy disc. Awesomeness.

My turning one is also light pink (but not the hot pink/magenta/etc) and the stormtrooper is a straight shooter with upper management written all over it.

Surprised at how flippy these are flying for some people. It makes me wonder if its just the persons throwing style or if some of the Volts are coming out significantly flippier than my testers.

I've spent a lot of time with mine this pazt month and I stand by my initial impression of 9/5/-1/1. If I throw the Volt flat and hard I can get it to turn, and if I throw it with a little hyzer it goes straight. I've had some throws well past 400' with zero turnover, just gave it some hyzer and they'd pop to flat and cruise.

I will say they get knocked around in a headwind a decent bit, so keep that in mind if you're testing them in gusty weather like I initially did.

Either way I hope everyone is having fun on the course before the snow hits. Won't be long where I live.

Oh, and go vote!

Surprised at how flippy these are flying for some people. It makes me wonder if its just the persons throwing style or if some of the Volts are coming out significantly flippier than my testers.

Like I said in earlier posts, my red Volts are Teebirds on roids. Dead straight with forward fade at the end, averaging 375' max D. It's only the light pink (not hot pink) that's flipping.

yeah my 175g white volt does not turn over at all. my brothers 170g blue volt does for him../ i haven't thrown his yet but i should to compare. we throw similar lines at about the same distance.

I can get my Volt to turnover if I really arch my back and get it on a good anny, but that's about it. Thrown flat at my power this thing is going dead nuts straight. Such is the life of a low power thrower, right?

I've been trying out some new routes at my home course and I was throwing some 400' drives with a good bit of anny with my flippiest Volt and it was landing flat or slightly hyzer every time. *shrug*

I've spent a lot of time with mine this pazt month and I stand by my initial impression of 9/5/-1/1. If I throw the Volt flat and hard I can get it to turn, and if I throw it with a little hyzer it goes straight. I've had some throws well past 400' with zero turnover, just gave it some hyzer and they'd pop to flat and cruise.

I will say they get knocked around in a headwind a decent bit, so keep that in mind if you're testing them in gusty weather like I initially did.

Not my experience with mine at all. I wish I had one like the disc you're describing. I can assure you though, it's not the archer, its the arrow.

It happens. My flat Vectors fly a lot different than my domey ones. As consistent as MVP is there is still variation in the molds.

I'm glad I picked up two, since the light pink was my first choice, but the whites "look really cool" so I got one of those too. The white, again, flies exactly as expected, I'd agree completely with 9 5 -1 1. Maybe 9 6, but glides a very nebulous thing.

I should have a 169 Orange in my mailbox this week, and I'm hoping its just as stable and a touch easier to accelerate.

Is anyone throwing a pastel/light pink that isn't surprisingly flippy?

My pastel pink is 175 and flies stable just like my 175 light green / yellow that I use for my more OS Volt. Only reason it's not bagged is it blends in with leaves more. If you click the bottom right link in my sig you can see me throw it hard on a 375' hyzer that never flattens, then the last throw of that vid is in the 440-470' range and it never even tracks right but it's blurry as **** so you can't rrally tell what's going on. Planned to shoot a max D video with em but ****ed up my back a bit and my throwing hand has been hurtin too.

Either way my pink and yellow/green175's both fly stable the way people are describing their stormtroopers. Probably going to order more of them and a few 170's as well.

I threw my brother's Volt for the first time this past weekend and was very impressed. He has a 169g one, orange/red color. I don't have a big arm and threw it on a dead rope to 300+/-. Neutron plastic is much better in my opinion.

The orange one was in my mailbox today (thanks Justin!). :D Comparing the parting lines on all three, stormtrooper is the highest by a bit, and the new one, disappointingly, is only a touch higher than the pink with the same dome. The line relative to the overmolds only appears identical. I won't know until I can get out and throw it (!@#% daylight savings!), but I'll predict the new guy's gonna have a bit of flip. I'll post up some pics later, profiles and edge comparisons.

i finally got out yesterday to test the volt out. 173 stormtrooper i tested both fh and bh. i have 300-340 bh power and 330-370 fh power. bh it flew like a semi beat dx teebird. it had a little more turn than i expected when thrown throw flat. i had a couple of good 325' throws on it. hole 3 at ryan ranch is a 350 downhill with some trees in the way i threw a gentle hzyer way out right it held it all the way down pin high 40' right of the pin. i threw an anhyzer off the tee to get around a tree and wanted it to come out of it. even at 300 power it still held the line all the way to the ground. it wasnt a game changer but i only had one bad throw with it, but that was because i grip locked it.

now i never was planning on testing it fh, and bh alone its great disc but i dont think it would have made the bag. i got to the course early and did throw it fh while waiting for my group it flew well enough to try it during the round. i have a good amount of snap fh as well a some oat. what amazed me is how much oat the volt can take. on a wide open hole i leaned into it and hyzer fliped it out to roughly 370'. when i hyzer flip is when i get oat and it was able to handle it. it let me know with a little wobble out of the hand but refused to turn and burn. when powered down i was able to release the volt flat and hit the straightest lines i have ever hit fh. i hit i 300ft tunnel with a wrist snap no turn no fade. so long story short the volt did make the bag. because it is versatile both bh and fh. i really didnt want to like it so much becuase i thought it was mostly hype and little substance. i was wrong at least for myself it is a solid disc. Try one!

I had a chance to test out my MVP Volts today. My hot pink (172g) and my lime green unstamped (170g) both flew pretty identically so far as I could tell. My brother-in-law has horrible form and throws about 225-250' and threw his black 170g Volt as well.

I'm a skeptic to the core, so I was prepared to find reasons why I didn't like the disc, but I didn't find many. Now, to be clear, that's not to say this is $DEITY's Gift to Disc Golf. It's not the second coming. It's just a golf disc, but it's a solid 7/10 or 8/10. It fills a need, or a hole, and does so pretty well.

I was impressed at how well the Volt held its line. The fade was minimal and so was the turn when thrown flat. When thrown hyzer it held the angle nicely, and anhyzers held quite a long time until the disc would flatten just enough at the end to land flat-ish and reduce odd rolls.

I have about 325' of distance right now (I'm working to improve!) and had little to no problems throwing the Volt that far. I was surprised a few times it would be within a few feet of my GL Flow. It's making me question some things, both about how good (or lousy) my form is as well as how well the Flow works for me! :)

My brother-in-law threw the Volt as far as he's thrown anything either. It was squirrely on him at first, but his form is terrible and he could make a Drone be squirrely with his odd release. When he focused on a flat release with better wrist work he began throwing it as far as anything else in his bag, including his Air Saint.

A solid disc, and I love the colors. The black wasn't the easiest to see, naturally, but every other color really pops on a leafy landscape.

Threw this for the first time today. Struggled at first but once it got going it was really going (not far, but you know what I mean). Threw a few good zingers, walked one off to about 300. Really happy with what this showed me today. Excited to get better and better with it. If you don't have one, get one. I'm sure most everyone here agrees with that. OO and mines white 175g. Unfortunately there were a few scuffs on the top when I open it up, but that doesn't matter since this thing is a flyer for sure.

edit: o btw 300 for me is a bomb

edit: o btw 300 for me is a bomb

The Volt should be a perfect disc for you to improve your distance and accuracy. I would reccomend a few other fairway drivers, but I'm sure you already are throwing them. I see the Volt has amazing for experienced players, but also a great begginers disc.

Pics showing the difference in nose angle (PLH?) in my Volts. First pic is White and my new 169 Orange. Second is the same 169 Orange v 175 Pink.

I got out for a long lunch and played a little 11-hole course. This orange one has a little less turn and a bit more fade than the pink, but I was hoping it would be closer to the stable flight of the white one. Oh well. I can't throw either on a flat release and not get a cut roller. If it wasn't for everyone else's descriptions, I would've thought the white one was the oddball.

I don't dislike the flight at all, and I get more distance with the turning ones. They fit right between my GL Saint and Sidewinder, stability-wise.

Attachments

• IMG_20121106_195705.jpg
    IMG_20121106_195705.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20121106_195737.jpg
    IMG_20121106_195737.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts