• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

I've been kind of wanting a backpack style bag, and I have seen a few of these being used in person. Looks like with a few mods it's making a great DG bag.

All it needs is a few disc golf patches to make it a "Disc Golf" bag :D

Price has increased from $50-$70 since I bought mine in April. at Just under $60 for the back + PVC frame, you just can't beat this as far as "bang for the buck." Even a the current price of 70 plus the frame, you won't find more bag for less cash.

I do love this idea, but I may have to pony up for the Grip. I had to start thinking about it from a professional standpoint. If I'm going to be promoting my business out on the course and at tournaments, I need the image. You don't buy a car from a guy who cobbled together a 1995 Grand Am. Sure it may run fine, but it doesn't exactly provoke confidence in his chosen profession. Likewise, if I'm pulling business cards out of a safety-pinned up fishing tackle bag...but maybe I'm overanalyzing it.

I do love this idea, but I may have to pony up for the Grip. I had to start thinking about it from a professional standpoint. If I'm going to be promoting my business out on the course and at tournaments, I need the image. You don't buy a car from a guy who cobbled together a 1995 Grand Am. Sure it may run fine, but it doesn't exactly provoke confidence in his chosen profession. Likewise, if I'm pulling business cards out of a safety-pinned up fishing tackle bag...but maybe I'm overanalyzing it.

Actually, I don't think you're overanalyzing it, and have a valid point: if you're selling image, you need to project the right image. Also, for someone who isn't worried about spending another $150 on DG gear, the Grip does have a few features this doesn't.

But for Joe Disc Golfer, this is a great deal: very comforatable, highly cost effective bag that holds 18-19 + 2 putters and still has a roomy top compartment for snacks, towels, etc.

Actually, I don't think you're overanalyzing it, and have a valid point: if you're selling image, you need to project the right image.
I agree with this completely. Sometimes you gotta pay to get paid. And if you're trying to promote your company as being relevant in the NOW, having the current gear will certainly go a long way in endorsing that relevance (as shallow as that sounds).

That said, maybe you can get in contact with the makers of this bag and have an 8-Bit Disc Golf version. ;)

has anyone tried using one of those accordion type disc dividers in the bottom yet?

I can't see how that would really work in this bag:
If you face it "up," you'd never be able to remove the discs from the bottom.
Face it out, and I think they'd be prone t falling out.

I like it just fine with the PVC frame I've folded the "flap" under the discs and nothing falls out, makes ingress /egress easier and it's working well for me. I would also think an accordian divider would cut the capacity down from 18-19 discs on the bottom.

I just traded for one of these from a guy who just upgraded to a Grip. He had used it for about a year and it is still in great shape. I don't think he ever built a frame for the inside, but I knew I wanted to.

Since I like to work with materials I have on hand (I'm a thrifty "Joe Disc-Golfer"...mentioned in an earlier post), I cut & assembled a pegboard box/frame and snugged it into the bottom pocket. However, I only like to carry about 16 discs or less (including putters), so I put my drivers and mids in the top pocket and my putters in the bottom front. The putters fit better there during play than they do in the top. But you can only zip one of them in. The other can go into the bottom compartment after play.

The bottom compartment has serious storage potential. Plus, I really like that it sits upright and I don't have to bend to the ground to pull a driver or mid. Putters, well...

I'm thinking of bolting thick wooden dowels or lengths of pvc to the underside of the bag (similar to the Grip's plastic runners).

Attachments

• bag from top.jpg
    bag from top.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 224
  • bag front bottom.jpg
    bag front bottom.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 166
  • bag bottom compartment.jpg
    bag bottom compartment.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 221
I just traded for one of these from a guy who just upgraded to a Grip. He had used it for about a year and it is still in great shape. I don't think he ever built a frame for the inside, but I knew I wanted to.

Since I like to work with materials I have on hand (I'm a thrifty "Joe Disc-Golfer"...mentioned in an earlier post), I cut & assembled a pegboard box/frame and snugged it into the bottom pocket. However, I only like to carry about 16 discs or less (including putters), so I put my drivers and mids in the top pocket and my putters in the bottom front. The putters fit better there during play than they do in the top. But you can only zip one of them in. The other can go into the bottom compartment after play.

The bottom compartment has serious storage potential. Plus, I really like that it sits upright and I don't have to bend to the ground to pull a driver or mid. Putters, well...

I'm thinking of bolting thick wooden dowels or lengths of pvc to the underside of the bag (similar to the Grip's plastic runners).

I like how you have gone away from the usual setup for the bag. I don't necessarily agree with it but I appreciate the creative thinking. It never crossed my mind to try and use the lower pocket as a putter pocket.

I gotta say I like that idea of boxing the bottom up for stability. Very cool.

With a frame in there I agree 100%. You can't tip my bag over unless you really try.

You want the green one in my opinion. The blue one has more storage but its clunky.

reluctantly, I had to go the other way

After throwing a few rounds with the box in the bottom, I decided to add another mod. Since the box was made of pegboard, I was able to insert dowels into the top of the box, in a crescent pattern, in order to hold the discs more steady as they sat in the upper pocket. Well, halfway through the first round with that, all but one of the dowels had broken under the weight of the discs. :wall:

I wasn't really satisfied with how the discs sat in that upper pocket. They would fall crooked constantly. So, I decided to try out the pvc frame in the bottom. Going out for my first round with it tomorrow. Still using the bottom front pocket for my putter--it just fits so nicely. The upper front pocket looks and feels so sloppy with my putter leaning halfway out of it. Besides, I can reach around my back and remove my putter from the lower pocket without having to remove the pack for those "automatic" putts. :thmbup:

I know I'm going to miss pulling my discs from the top of the bag as it sits on the ground. :\

I built my frame to look just like this one: http://rattlingchains.com/?p=748

I could only find white pvc and the tri-elbows only came with two openings clear, one threaded. For the threaded openings, I had to purchase adapters (blegh...). Fully built frame cost was about $15 with pieces from Home Depot.

I'm considering completing the frame (top front) and going back to the upper pocket. The bottom would still be boxed in for stability and the top pocket would have the pvc to steady the discs from below...just not on the sides. We'll see. :eek:

Just curious, to those who are still using this bag. Have any of you constructed or cut a flat peg board to size for the middle above the pvc frame for support? If so, what would be the measurements. I'd measure myself, but I'm at work.:\

Big shout-out to MrGlass! Thanks again for the bag mate! Good shooting with ya too!!