• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a Tunnel Mid

PMantle: You can throw the Axis harder and it will still hold the line due to the 'Gyro' tech. That's one thing I like about MVP mids and putters, they hold the line they're thrown on, period.

PMantle said:
Yup to the Champ Leo, but I throw it on a hole where a little left finish is really good. Are Star Leos less stable?

I have not even seen a flat Leo but the domey ones are less stable than the slightly flatter Stars i have. The Star at ful power for me fades earlier does not flip in calm conditions ends up further left and is shorter. The Champ tends to s-curve if there is any wind now maybe it has been broken in or i have developed just enough power to not have it flip as little as it used o. OTOH the Leo should not be ripped full tilt. If it is not Star that is.

Tangent is good but a hybrid of putter and mid and that is just fine for many and is slick as hell when moist or cold and Neutron Axis is a faster Buzz that needs a head high throw at full tilt for me not to fade so not easy and Proton Axis is prone to flipping a little half of the time and going straight half of the time at full power. Power it down and release it cleanly and it is fine other than in adverse grip conditions.

BentElbow11 said:
PMantle: You can throw the Axis harder and it will still hold the line due to the 'Gyro' tech. That's one thing I like about MVP mids and putters, they hold the line they're thrown on, period.

From my experience, the 'gyro' tech doesn't do anything to make it hold a line anymore than similarly shaped discs.

Stringbean said:
BentElbow11 said:

From my experience, the 'gyro' tech doesn't do anything to make it hold a line anymore than similarly shaped discs.

Do you throw any MVP mids? Because the difference is noticeable.

Stringbean said:
I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.

I'd be surprised if a Super Stingray is better in the wind than a Truth. Less fade, yes...which should be a major clue for you as to which is better in the wind.

BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:
BentElbow11 said:

Do you throw any MVP mids? Because the difference is noticeable.

Yes, saw no difference.

BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:
I threw a Super Stingray next to a DD Truth today. Super Stingray FTW. Less fade and better in the wind.

I'd be surprised if a Super Stingray is better in the wind than a Truth. Less fade, yes...which should be a major clue for you as to which is better in the wind.

That's not always true.

Stringbean said:
BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:

That's not always true.

I hope you have a heavy one.

Buzzz, Fuse and Axis are all good tunnel mid options. They are three completely different discs. I carry both Buzzz and Fuse and which to choose depends on exact hole and wind, because even though it seems silly, even straight tunnel shots vary a lot course to course. There are also two good MVP tunnel mids that a friend i play with throws, but I can't remember the names. Sorry to interrupt all the trolling and defending from trolls.

BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:
BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:

That's not always true.

Haha, yes it is 180g. I have never seen a Super Stingray on a store shelf that wasn't 180g.

I don't find an Axis to be faster than a Buzzz, but maybe I'm not throwing it right. :dunno:

Really thinking of selling all my MVP stuff. Just really never end up using any of them. Shock has the best chance of staying though.

Stringbean said:
BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:
BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:

That's not always true.

Haha, yes it is 180g. I have never seen a Super Stingray on a store shelf that wasn't 180g.

180g are pretty common, true. But I've seen them as low as 167g. It's a good disc, I hope you enjoy it.

PMantle said:
I don't find an Axis to be faster than a Buzzz, but maybe I'm not throwing it right. :dunno:

Really thinking of selling all my MVP stuff. Just really never end up using any of them. Shock has the best chance of staying though.

MVP is an aquired taste, IMO. I think the reason many describe their mids as "faster" is because you need to throw them harder to get optimal flight out of them. Gotta keep them spinning. That gyro tech thing again :)

BentElbow11 said:
PMantle said:

MVP is an aquired taste, IMO. I think the reason many describe their mids as "faster" is because you need to throw them harder to get optimal flight out of them. Gotta keep them spinning. That gyro tech thing again :)

While I can throw a buzz, truth, slightly worn roc, axis, and several others straight all the way to the end of their flights (sorry guys, it's the indian not the arrow), nothing has garnered more comments from other players in tournaments than the tangent. When thrown hard (yep, have to get on it like stated above), it is dead nuts straight all the way to the ground. It's a tremendous disc and imho the best that MVP has produced. Personally I'd use one of my putters (currently warlock and zero hard pure) for the shot that this out of hand thread started asking about, but I don't hesitate to grab the tangent if I need a bit more D than the putters give.

discmonkey42 said:
BentElbow11 said:
PMantle said:

While I can throw a buzz, truth, slightly worn roc, axis, and several others straight all the way to the end of their flights (sorry guys, it's the indian not the arrow),
That's fine and all, but it does not help any of us, including every disc golfer I've ever seen, who can't make those do that. That's kinda why people ask these questions.

The Tangent is a great disc. I just wish it wasn't so damn slippery when cold/wet. Keeping a Buzz/Truth/Axis/etc straight is all about putting a shit load of spin on the disc and holding back on power. I can do that but can't get the same distance as I would from throwing a Super Stingray/QMS/Tangent at normal power.

One of the things about MVP discs is the forward penetrating fade...it's not a joke. Any fade of the Axis for example, is minimized by this. The Tangent has no fade, it's like a faster neutral putter. It's the best of the bunch of mids that fly straight and land flat, IMO.

stringbean: QMS definitely, and the Super Stingray is a really nice disc, a straight flyer.

Never thrown a Tangent. Need more time with Axis, but with my shoulder issues, I'd rather use my limited throws on the course instead of the field.

Don't expect to get a straight flight out of the new QMS though. The Rancho mold has a much stronger fade than the OOP Ontario mold.