• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a Tunnel Mid

Stringbean said:
Don't expect to get a straight flight out of the new QMS though. The Rancho mold has a much stronger fade than the OOP Ontario mold.

Yes, I've heard that. These are the sparkle QMS with the new stamp, right? Too bad...

PMantle said:
Never thrown a Tangent. Need more time with Axis, but with my shoulder issues, I'd rather use my limited throws on the course instead of the field.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Tangent. It flies like the Anode, except with less floatiness, more speed, and increased range.

PMantle said:
discmonkey42 said:
BentElbow11 said:
PMantle said:
I don't find an Axis to be faster than a Buzzz, but maybe I'm not throwing it right. :dunno:

Really thinking of selling all my MVP stuff. Just really never end up using any of them. Shock has the best chance of staying though.

MVP is an aquired taste, IMO. I think the reason many describe their mids as "faster" is because you need to throw them harder to get optimal flight out of them. Gotta keep them spinning. That gyro tech thing again :)

While I can throw a buzz, truth, slightly worn roc, axis, and several others straight all the way to the end of their flights (sorry guys, it's the indian not the arrow),
That's fine and all, but it does not help any of us, including every disc golfer I've ever seen, who can't make those do that. That's kinda why people ask these questions.

And Mark answered this question extremely well. If your choice is to deny something is possible because you can't do it and your friends can't do it, then that's an issue with you and the people you play with. It's not an issue with the disc. Your questions should be focused on how to gain a skill, not what disc to buy to hide your lack of that skill. Throwing a stable mid straight with no fade is a fundamental and necessary skill in disc golf. It will translate into lower scores and an immensely increased enjoyment of the game. Practice more, argue less.

PMantle said:
discmonkey42 said:
argue less.
Great advice. You should take it. You really have missed the whole point of this thread.

You don't by chance mean that, good gosh, there are actually better mids than the Buzzz for dead straight tunnel shots, do you? :roll:

From the players in this thread alone(none mine):

Any of the Buzzz/Axis/Roc (seasoned)

Flex something stable (Buzzz, Truth, Axis, seasoned Roc, etc.)

A Buzzz will fade. You can minimize the fade by subtle release angle adjustment, but it's designed to have some fade.

Yes, they will fade a little as they slow down. A Buzzz SS would be the better choice for a tunnel shot with a straight finish.

My most beat up Buzzz will fly dead nuts straight (no fade at all) at 150'.

where a Buzz would normally fade if Z

discmonkey42 said:
PMantle said:
discmonkey42 said:
BentElbow11 said:
PMantle said:
I don't find an Axis to be faster than a Buzzz, but maybe I'm not throwing it right. :dunno:

Really thinking of selling all my MVP stuff. Just really never end up using any of them. Shock has the best chance of staying though.

MVP is an aquired taste, IMO. I think the reason many describe their mids as "faster" is because you need to throw them harder to get optimal flight out of them. Gotta keep them spinning. That gyro tech thing again :)

While I can throw a buzz, truth, slightly worn roc, axis, and several others straight all the way to the end of their flights (sorry guys, it's the indian not the arrow),
That's fine and all, but it does not help any of us, including every disc golfer I've ever seen, who can't make those do that. That's kinda why people ask these questions.

And Mark answered this question extremely well. If your choice is to deny something is possible because you can't do it and your friends can't do it, then that's an issue with you and the people you play with. It's not an issue with the disc. Your questions should be focused on how to gain a skill, not what disc to buy to hide your lack of that skill. Throwing a stable mid straight with no fade is a fundamental and necessary skill in disc golf. It will translate into lower scores and an immensely increased enjoyment of the game. Practice more, argue less.

There's another method that you choose to ignore...such as using the approprite disc that's ideal for the shot needed, and letting the disc do the work for you, vs trying to beat in or finesse another disc that's not as well suited for that role(i.e. tunnel shot). As the Buzzz slows down it fades, and despite one's definition of "straight", the fade can't be entirely eliminated. Hence mids such as the Tangent, Aurora MS, Mako/Mako3, Fuse, Buzzz SS, etc. If it's windy, then the Buzzz may outperform those others in that role, but that's another animal entirely. This is hardly indicative of a lack of skill, but rather sound strategy.

I have owned and thrown many Buzzz's in different plastics and stages of wear, and can finesse them to do what I want, but why would I feel the need if there are (and there are!) other mids that can perform a dead straight tunnel shot better? That's why there are choices, instead of this idea of the Buzzz being a 'one disc fits all' midrange. And what's wrong with using a Buzzz SS if you want no fade?

BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:
Don't expect to get a straight flight out of the new QMS though. The Rancho mold has a much stronger fade than the OOP Ontario mold.

Yes, I've heard that. These are the sparkle QMS with the new stamp, right? Too bad...

Yep, it's not a bad disc, just not the same. Perhaps it will beat into what the old one was but its going to take awhile.

PMantle said:
From the players in this thread alone(none mine):

Any of the Buzzz/Axis/Roc (seasoned)

Flex something stable (Buzzz, Truth, Axis, seasoned Roc, etc.)

A Buzzz will fade. You can minimize the fade by subtle release angle adjustment, but it's designed to have some fade.

Yes, they will fade a little as they slow down. A Buzzz SS would be the better choice for a tunnel shot with a straight finish.

My most beat up Buzzz will fly dead nuts straight (no fade at all) at 150'.

where a Buzz would normally fade if Z

I can't believe that the Buzzz has such misguided prominence in this 'Need a Tunnel Mid" thread. It would be well down my list. 10 years ago, right at the top...but this is now, not then.

PMantle said:
I really do want a Buzzz SS. May be too similar to my base plastic Fugitive though.

Buzzz SS is a good disc, very similar to the Fuse but is a little straighter and can handle more power, and also holds up in windy conditions better.

Have you noticed that none of the Buzzz fanboi's ever mention the Buzzz SS? It's like there's some strange disdain for it from Buzzz throwers. IMO, it just further reinforces this screwy notion that the Buzzz can do anything, and do it better than all others. All you need is a Buzzz! Yeh, right.

Stringbean said:
BentElbow11 said:
Stringbean said:

Yep, it's not a bad disc, just not the same. Perhaps it will beat into what the old one was but its going to take awhile.

Good old Innova, messing with great molds.

Pmantle: Ask 'discmonkey', since he's a big fan of the Tangent, if he prefers the Buzzz over the Tangent for straight tunnel shots w/no fade. It might be interesting...to see what form of backpedaling takes place.

BentElbow11 said:
Have you noticed that none of the Buzzz fanboi's ever mention the Buzzz SS? It's like there's some strange disdain for it from Buzzz throwers. IMO, it just further reinforces this screwy notion that the Buzzz can do anything, and do it better than all others. All you need is a Buzzz! Yeh, right.
Newb disc-they no like.

BentElbow11 said:
Pmantle: Ask 'discmonkey', since he's a big fan of the Tangent, if he prefers the Buzzz over the Tangent for straight tunnel shots w/no fade. It might be interesting...to see what form of backpedaling takes place.
Nope-dude's disliked me from day 1 on this forum. I ask him no questions.

Oh, okay that explains it. Start questioning player's skill level to prove a point? Nice...

BentElbow11 said:
Oh, okay that explains it. Start questioning player's skill level to prove a point? Nice...
Very common on these boards. Not seen it in any other area like golf, archery etc. But then again, the disc golf crowd is bizarre as heck. :lol:

Yeh, there is that fanatical devotion to one mold you see on DG boards. "All you need is a Buzzz!"..."All you need is a Roc!" Uh, maybe what you need is to try some different molds besides the one you received in a beginners pack 10 years ago before dictating to others. Oh well...

BentElbow11 said:
Yeh, there is that fanatical devotion to one mold you see on DG boards. "All you need is a Buzzz!"..."All you need is a Roc!" Uh, maybe what you need is to try some different molds besides the one you received in a beginners pack 10 years ago before dictating to others. Oh well...
Here's my favorite: "You shouldn't be throwing anything faster than a Leopard at this point".

Yes, how many times have we heard that! Used as a driver, a Leopard is easy to overpower, even for beginners. It makes a great understable fairway driver though, which is what it's best suited for.

As for the learning proper form argument, use anything understable...and it doesn't have to be slow and short. And slowing down and cleaning up form has nothing to do with the disc you're throwing, but rather footwork, timing, and eliminating any OAT that may be present.