• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Never putting my phone number on a disc again...

The local disc golf shop that opened near me offers a disc return service. If anyone finds a lost disc at a course, they can take it to Dodo's and get store credit for returning the disc and then Dodo's calls the disc's owner. It's great incentive for the people that found the discs to return them, and the disc golf shop has a cheap way to get more people into their store (disc finder, disc owner).

So in my area, it's still smart to put your name and number on a disc. I've had 3 returned this way since they opened in March.

I heard that someone got struck by lightning walking out to their car, so I'm never going outside again.

Around here people seem to call and return discs pretty good. In my short disc golf career I have lost 9 discs, and 5 of them have been found, they have called me, and I've gotten the discs back. (And since the rest 4 are in depths of murky waters, it's likely they haven't been found yet.)

I've also called the numbers of every disc I've found and had them returned to their owners. And when I found an uninked disc, I posted about it on the local club's forum, but no one claimed ownership on that one.

We played McCurry park in Fayetteville Ga. yesterday and a friend left his MRV on the ground. All day long and every round we'd look for it, as we were leaving the park his cell phone rang and a local there had found it. We circled around, grabbed the disc from the guy and gave him 10 bucks for returning it.

Some people are nice, some are jerks, this applies to everything on the Earth, not just Disc Golf.

I don't put my info on my discs because I don't want my number out there for anyone to see. And I don't lose discs anyway.

Losing a disc occasionally is part of the game. If you are losing alot, fix your game. Figure out how you lose them and correct it.

I found 2 discs yesterday, one had a number. When I called he said, "Well, if you play you can keep it."
Which I replied, "No, I don't play I was just walking the disc golf course..." j/k
He didn't want it back, though. My nephew did end up throwing it in the lake later that day as well.
Agh!
Maybe the original owner will get another call on it some day...

If you are losing alot, fix your game.

Theres a few courses by me where there's not much option but to let go occasionally. Oh and Lemon Lake...Red course has some hellish thorns/brush (or did last season - no clue what it looked like for worlds)

I have called a couple numbers on found discs. Both did not want them back. One was a disc that was lost over 5 years earlier! I gave both discs to my brother so he might start playing.

I have to believe that you at least have a chance of getting em back if there is a name & number.
No number = zero chance of return.
Who cares if your number is "out there"? I doubt telemarketers are getting their lists off found discs.

I found one about two weeks ago, number was barely readable but I called it and returned it.

My question is, is it rude for the person who lost the disc to just tell you to drop it off to them instead of volunteering to come pick it up? I'm thinking that yeah it is kinda rude.

^^ agreed

i've had 2 discs returned to me. one from halfway across the country.

I put my E-mail address, my Name, and my PDGA and DGCR number on discs I care about. I dont ever put my phone number on them just because I dont want discs out there with my phone number on them, Ive had the same cell number for years and I dont want to have to get it changed because of prank calls. In 15 years Ive never had a lost disc returned to me anyways.

I usually just use my name, PDGA # and e-mail address. I've probably lost 100+ discs in the 13 years I've been playing (13 years this week!)... but I had a great surprise recently... a guy e-mailed because he found a disc of mine I'd lost in Massachusetts 8 years ago. A good condition CE Eagle (L-mold). Lost it in the water at Buffumville Dam, and had totally forgotten about it. I tried to pay a reward and pay for shipping, but he wouldn't let me pay for any of it.

It showed up at the office last week, and I took it out this past weekend to my first tourney of 2010. Made me feel the world was a better place somehow. I think I've gotten one other disc back and had calls about two other discs in all these years. But this was the first crazy return story I've heard, and it was a happy day... so don't give up hope.

When I lose a disc, I consider it gone. And when I throw discs, I try not to throw my favorite discs on risky shots... easier to let go of them that way.

And when I throw discs, I try not to throw my favorite discs on risky shots... easier to let go of them that way.

I've heard dozens of people express this same penchant, and I just don't get it. Those risky shots are the ones for which you need your favorite discs the most to get you to safety.

The trick is to put a woman's name on the back of your disc, trust me this works. Ask a female disc golfer how many discs she's gotten back.

I gave away a huge stack of discs to the ladies at Too Many Days in May over Memorial Day weekend (and the preceding week), some new & some used with my info on the back. I probably got a dozen discs "returned" to me that week, though they were no longer mine.

A friend of mine goes diving in the pond at the dic golf course to find discs. He calls if there is a number and if not he keeps it. My opinion on the matter is if someone finds a disc while diving into 10-15 feet of nasty swamp water they should keep it.

I gave away a huge stack of discs to the ladies at Too Many Days in May over Memorial Day weekend (and the preceding week), some new & some used with my info on the back. I probably got a dozen discs "returned" to me that week, though they were no longer mine.

well at least they were trtying to do the right thing

The trick is to put a woman's name on the back of your disc, trust me this works. Ask a female disc golfer how many discs she's gotten back.

I've lost countless discs and only ever got a call about one, and when i called the guy back to set up a meeting he wouldn't answer. I'm inclined to say this is BS.

Latest posts