• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag Company - Grip Equipment

I'll trust DD to take care of anyone any day. But the GripEQ is quickly becoming a total debacle. I like to think of it as GripeEQ

what'shisname said:
Jeronimo said:
If I put a 1st run bag and a redesigned (with the new cordura fabric and fixes/tweaks in place) bag in front of you, which one would you choose? So which one do you think is more valuable?

These bags aren't cars in the same sense that this next run is the 2012 model and we all bought the 2011. We're talking about a car with known issues that's being scrapped, redesigned then redistributed. Is this really that hard of a concept for people?

I really don't get what you're saying. He's addressing issues with the product, that's a good thing, ya? You've got the first run bag, if it has issues, J@ is going to give you a 2nd run bag when they're out. What's the down side here? Who cares that your first run bag's only going to be worth half of what it was before news of the 2nd run? How is that even relevant?

J@ via gripeq.com said:
Yes, the vast majority--who had minor issues--will get second run (to be done by May 31) bags. There are a few exceptions where people had more exaggerated issues who am I trying to line up reinspected first run for so that we can get those bags replaced asap.

I guess I'm more pissed at the debacle of the first run. This is what lack of quality does to reputation and companies. My living is earned by working as a quality engineer for a manufacturing company so this kind of stuff bugs me. I really don't know how else to explain it to you man, all I can say is I'd love to have you as my customer because you are very forgiving. The rest of the world has very different expectations than you.

Jeronimo said:
what'shisname said:
Jeronimo said:
If I put a 1st run bag and a redesigned (with the new cordura fabric and fixes/tweaks in place) bag in front of you, which one would you choose? So which one do you think is more valuable?

These bags aren't cars in the same sense that this next run is the 2012 model and we all bought the 2011. We're talking about a car with known issues that's being scrapped, redesigned then redistributed. Is this really that hard of a concept for people?

I really don't get what you're saying. He's addressing issues with the product, that's a good thing, ya? You've got the first run bag, if it has issues, J@ is going to give you a 2nd run bag when they're out. What's the down side here? Who cares that your first run bag's only going to be worth half of what it was before news of the 2nd run? How is that even relevant?

J@ via gripeq.com said:
Yes, the vast majority--who had minor issues--will get second run (to be done by May 31) bags. There are a few exceptions where people had more exaggerated issues who am I trying to line up reinspected first run for so that we can get those bags replaced asap.

I guess I'm more pissed at the debacle of the first run. This is what lack of quality does to reputation and companies. My living is earned by working as a quality engineer for a manufacturing company so this kind of stuff bugs me. I really don't know how else to explain it to you man, all I can say is I'd love to have you as my customer because you are very forgiving. The rest of the world has very different expectations than you.

Nah, I'm not even a customer yet. I just think that what J@'s proposing to do to take care of the first run customers is above and beyond. I know if I was a customer myself, I'd be pretty happy to be using a bag right now that had minor flaws knowing that in a couple months time (who really knows how long at this point...) I'd be getting a brand new 2nd run bag that addressed all the issues AND still get to keep my first run bag. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I agree with you about the lack of quality harming a company's image and apparently J@ does too. I'm sure its been frustrating to be a part of the initial pre-order having to wait and wait and then finally get an inferior product at the end of it all. But for him to actually stand behind it and sort you guys out with a new bag...

Myself.... I don't know now. I'm on the DD pre-order list as of now, but I think I may say fuckit and pull the order now... wait and see how the 2nd run actually turns out and then make up my mind. Unless I get a real answer in regards to what will be done with the DD pre-order situation soon, I'm going to do just that.

DD will definitely take care of you, Rusco is fantastic about customer service. He reminds me of zappos.com

I can definitely see both sides of the debate on this one...I am waiting myself to see how the second run pans out and will then decide between a Grip or a Simian.

Does anyone know how much shipping will be for the 2nd runs? Or, if not, how much shipping was for the first runs?

Anyone interested in posting their reviews of the bag from a functionality (not quality) perspective now that they've had them for a while? I just signed up for the waitlist for the 2nd run, so I don't think I'll end up getting one before either of my upcoming tournaments in the next two months.

Well my straps on the grip broke today. Not sure what the piece is called but the piece that tightens/loosens the straps broke. Ironically it broke while me and Disc Junkie were comparing my grip to the awesomeness of his mahal. The overall quality of the products used by GripEq need to be improved for the price. The plastic "fastener" looked very weak to begin with and since you can't really replace the straps I would expect the materials used to hold the straps together to be of the highest quality. The new run can't come soon enough

I got a response from J@, he said that he was aware of the problem causing the frame to tear through the bag and it will be fixed with the second run. You should send him a pic of the broken strap too.

I just wanted to chime in and say that my first run Grip bag is still holding up really well. If that changes I'll update, but as of now I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase.

Why are you surprised that a one man company produced something that is flawed. All disc golf bags are weak. Maybe not the mahall since its from a real company. In the end, nothing has outlasted my osprey backpack, not rev, not gateway, not phenix.

I still play rounds with the guy who bought my grip bag n hos is all tore up. Front pocket is all ripped n frayed,some parts on top,sides etc. he still uses it but its definitely has seen better days

it was a first run. and I got the crappiest one in the lot. not surprised at how it turned out. this 2nd run will be the true measuring point. if they fail to improve on the quality then I will invest in something else

the two guys around here who have them have had little to no problem with theirs so far but they seem to be the exception.

Well the 2nd run is supposed to be done next week. anyone talked with Grip recently to see if this is still true? my question about this date on their website got deleted

The flap pocket that zips over the disc compartment is failing on mine slowly. I was going to just not use it to avoid that, but I already stretched out the putter pocket slowly and carefully to make it useful, drink holders are still to tight to get a Nalgene out without taking the bag off and the button broke off on my quiver strap (though I asked J@ what size button to get to replace it, just haven't gotten around to that). If/when the front pocket fails more completely I will be Grip about a replacement bag.

Still think the design of this bag is better than any other offering out there (potentially Majal is better if you want that much bag). Curious what the next couple years brings for Grip.

Damn, that sucks. I didn't use that front pocket after it started coming apart. I'm wondering if that May 31 date will be another late-July/early-August deal. Hoping he makes good on his promise with a second run for the people who got shafted with the first run bags.

jnecessary said:
Still think the design of this bag is better than any other offering out there (potentially Majal is better if you want that much bag). Curious what the next couple years brings for Grip.

does the cool design really outweigh their god-awful production schedule and the shoddy construction? what do you find so revolutionary about them?

seems to me that dealing with grip is a roll of the dice.

I have to agree with Apoth on this one (not sure this has ever happened before). With so many other good bags out there I can't see why anyone would want to take a chance on one of there bags right now. Maybe in a couple of years when they have proven themselves, but man there would be no excuse that would appease me if I dropped $200+ and had these issues. Grip is really lucky that DG folks are pretty tolerant folks. In most other industries this kind of colossal cluster fuck would probably put you out of business.

right?

i see these people talking about getting a 2.0 grip bag after they ended up with a bag that falls apart...and came three months after they ordered it. what are they thinking?

masochists, the lot of them.

I wont be paying for the 2.0 that is the difference. From the day I got my bag and it was jacked up, I was told I would get a new one. If I were playing tournaments then I probably would have switched to something that can withstand a lot of wear. My bag was noticeably worn after playing in the Collegiate Nationals.

Now for those that don't have a grip bag, I agree that it probably isn't wise to invest in the bag until Grip-Eq shows the quality is vastly improved. I am pretty sure all these points have been addressed on the past few pages.

Can we just make an "Apoth crap bucket" for him to rant in rather than shitting up all these threads?