• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

Yeah, it's not like middle and high school kids cram every nook and cranny of their bags to overflowing with 40 lbs of textbooks plus laptops, tablets, binders, writing implements, etc., and tote them around to and from school, to class, to the library, five days a week, 30 weeks a year. :doh:

And we know those backpacks last a semester

I don't think that comparing DG backpacks to day packs, school back packs, or anything else is really fair. DG puts a completely different amount of stress on a bag then anything else, that requires a pretty absurd amount of tolerance in the materials if it is going to hold up for very long. A standard round of disc involves putting on and taking off the bag somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 times. That's exponentially more stress then a school backpack or even a hiking backpack will experience in a similar time frame. There are other unique materials considerations that go into DG packs but I think I made my point.

The other thing to consider is the pre backpack market. I don't think its unreasonable to assume it would cost you at least $100 or slightly more for a pretty solid old style bag and quad set up. I know that's about what I paid for a bag that lasted me 7 years. A backpack is at least twice the raw materials as a old school bag, if not more, as well as a much more complex setup to design and manufacture. So is paying 180-280 really that unreasonable? I mean shoot, MSRP on a Revo Carolina is $185, and tons of people were happy to spend that on such a bullet proof bag. That one isn't even a backpack!

What exactly is middle of the road to you? With the amount of stuff that we collectively as a hobby are asking bag makers to give us I just don't see the motivation to price anything underneath the established market.

Hiking packs and DG bags aren't an apples to apples comparison, of course, but they aren't all that different. DG puts toughness as a top priority, whereas backpacking puts comfort and weight as higher priorities. That's not to say both styles don't have all those elements in play. Making a bag tougher isn't rocket science though--you use tougher (heavier) materials and more stitching.

Revo bags weren't always that expensive. It's been a while, but when I got my Carolina, I think it was $120 or so, which at the time was considered spendy--the best bag money could buy actually. I was one of the first Simian buyers, and people thought it was insane to spend $200 on a dg bag. Now, $200-250+ has become the norm and sellers across the board price accordingly.

Middle of the road? I think the UPD Shift is a great example, and at the risk of summoning the usual detractors, the Salient bags are worthy options. I'd like to see more companies offering similar choices.

And we know those backpacks last a semester

Come on now, I had one of these through the majority of high school, and on into college. I definitely put it through its paces too, carrying way more weight than I ever would for dg and subjecting it to teenage angst. Plus, it was all carried on one strap because we all know only losers actually used both straps of their backpacks. :p

Grip and other companies are not making $200 markup on every bag. Their current pricing is very healthy for the growth of disc golf. The pricing supports brick and mortar re-sellers as well. Selling a few grip bags a week and making full margins will pay rent and keep these local business open. Grip is priced to help disc golf grow, not sell as many bags as possible(but I'm sure they like selling a lot). The companies selling bags at $150-$220 are not as sexy to brick and mortar stores when they only make $30-40 on a $200 bag.

Now this bag isn't available to resellers yet because the bag is so new. But as someone who stocks disc golf shelf's for a living, I welcome a model more like Grips.

Granted, I haven't visited too many b&m dg stores because we don't have many around here, but I've never seen Grip sold anywhere but on their site. What I have seen stocked are the usual Innova bags, DD, and Lat64, but they were marked up dramatically to what you'd find online.

Revo bags weren't always that expensive. It's been a while, but when I got my Carolina, I think it was $120 or so, which at the time was considered spendy--the best bag money could buy actually. I was one of the first Simian buyers, and people thought it was insane to spend $200 on a dg bag. Now, $200-250+ has become the norm and sellers across the board price accordingly.

Middle of the road? I think the UPD Shift is a great example, and at the risk of summoning the usual detractors, the Salient bags are worthy options. I'd like to see more companies offering similar choices.

Your virtually proving my point for me. If the most bulletproof, indistructable, top of the pre backpack market was $120 (did it come with quads at that price? Its been too long I dont remember) why is it so unreasonable that that an equally bulletproof backpack, that has at MINIMUM double the amount of raw materials and labor cost, be priced at roughly twice as much?

As i am a college student right now, typing this reply on my laptop while waiting between class at university, i am confident saying that i do not treat my school bag worse than my dg bag.

I would never just drop my school bag on the ground, willingly stand in the ran with it, pick it up quickly, walk through woods wearing it, throw a disc at it out of frustration, and many other stupid things.
So what im trying to say is that book bags do not need to withstand nearly as much abuse and can still last a long time (Super senior here with the same bag since freshman year).

HOWEVER, dg bags are far too expensive. Purchased a flak 3 for $200... lasted a season and a half before it started to fall apart at attachment points; that is unacceptable for the price. Whereas my current bag,ergo 2, is always over stuffed with junk but is built to last and only ran me 140.

That 140 price tag is only ~30 more than what i paid for my school bag. I honestly do not believe any bag is worth close to 300, however, i think the sweet spot for quality materials and construction is still likely around 200.

Your virtually proving my point for me. If the most bulletproof, indistructable, top of the pre backpack market was $120 (did it come with quads at that price? Its been too long I dont remember) why is it so unreasonable that that an equally bulletproof backpack, that has at MINIMUM double the amount of raw materials and labor cost, be priced at roughly twice as much?

The Dual Pack at the time cost $160 or so, IIRC.

Poor isnt the issue. I understand a need for the expensive luxury bag. I also understand the need for the cheapest bags. The bottom line is people dont need a 300$ bag for this sport.

it's really the "I can't afford it so nobody should have it, why would you need it anyways" mentality I have an issue with. I don't need a $300 bag for this sport, but they exist. it's just a tradeoff, if I buy a $300 bag then that's $300 that I won't be spending at the bar or working on my project car. if your tradeoff is a $300 bag or groceries for a month, then yeah, you probably shouldn't buy it. good thing you don't really need a $300 bag for this sport. a cloth grocery bag would do just fine.

People don't need $100,000 cars to drive around town. However some people still buy them, because they appreciate the quality materials and attention to detail. They have the money so they purchase said car.

The decision to manufacture and sell that car, and also buy the car does not depend in how you feel about it. Stop caring so much about how others choose to spend the money that they earn.

I was planning on coming here to argue more. I'm all full of internet fight lately for some reason. I'm over it now though.

I would be as stoked as the next guy if someone were able to break the market by bringing a killer awesome and durable backpack for something like $150. I just don't think that is realistic without getting a piece of junk product. If it were financially feasible someone would have done it already, because it would have been an easy way to break open an incredibly limited and crowded market.

however, i think the sweet spot for quality materials and construction is still likely around 200.

Yeah I think your about right, which is basically what the market has shown us. My only beef is that 200 seems to still be a little hit or miss as to if your actually going to get a decent product, which totally sucks. Some of the 200 bags aren't very good, some are awesome, and some are too new to know if they will hold up or not yet.

it's really the "I can't afford it so nobody should have it, why would you need it anyways" mentality I have an issue with. I don't need a $300 bag for this sport, but they exist. it's just a tradeoff, if I buy a $300 bag then that's $300 that I won't be spending at the bar or working on my project car. if your tradeoff is a $300 bag or groceries for a month, then yeah, you probably shouldn't buy it. good thing you don't really need a $300 bag for this sport. a cloth grocery bag would do just fine.

My main issue is price versus what you get. I paid 180 for my grip bag. If it was closer to 300 at the time of release I may have paid that . It was a design innovation for a dg related product. Since then, no design innovations have been made to backpacks. I understand how you can justify buying the bag because you "like it", but don't justify the design/quality versus a bag in the 150$ range. Design is the same as those and the materials are not worth 100$ more. That's my issue. Plus, ppl throw up that lifetime warranty garbage like it's the word of God. That warranty is only good as long as the company exists. LB bags just started, they have a slim chance of being around for a lifetime. That's why I will say it again, Ranger bags are the smartest business model to make money in disc golf bags right now. They will have top notch consistency, colors, supply, and affordability to sustain because they partnered with ogio_Of course I would rather support a homegrown bag maker BUT I don't want to sacrifice quality and customer service with a 300$ investment.
I know these companies have to start somewhere but price gouging disc golfers will not be successful

Last edited:
As i am a college student right now, typing this reply on my laptop while waiting between class at university, i am confident saying that i do not treat my school bag worse than my dg bag.

I would never just drop my school bag on the ground, willingly stand in the ran with it, pick it up quickly, walk through woods wearing it, throw a disc at it out of frustration, and many other stupid things.

Just because YOU don't abuse your school bag doesnt' mean that other people don't abuse theirs.

If YOU abuse your bag then YOU obviously do not care about the books or laptop you have in your bag.

common sense, please use it.

If YOU abuse your bag then YOU obviously do not care about the books or laptop you have in your bag.

common sense, please use it.

I sure as hell didn't care about my books in high school--I hated being in school and I hated carrying all those books. And I hated riding the stupid bus. And I hated my stupid teachers. And I hated having to do what my parents told me. :D Common sense isn't particularly the focal point of a teenage boy's brain, especially when he didn't foot the bill for the bag or its contents. I don't baby my dg bags, but they certainly don't have to put up with the stress testing I did to my backpacks in school.

I was planning on coming here to argue more. I'm all full of internet fight lately for some reason. I'm over it now though.

I would be as stoked as the next guy if someone were able to break the market by bringing a killer awesome and durable backpack for something like $150. I just don't think that is realistic without getting a piece of junk product. If it were financially feasible someone would have done it already, because it would have been an easy way to break open an incredibly limited and crowded market.

it is 100% possible. there isn't enough people in disc golf (with so many bag brands out there) to get a lower cost down. They're so high because of the low quantity that is being made which makese sourcing prices much higher. that $50 new era hat being sold only costs $1.98 to make (i know i source them)

most of these bag companies either A. keep that in the US or B. can't get enough bags made to drive the price per bag down to $10. C. Can and are greedy idiots. Quality control is totally up to the company selling it, which is why i bring up New Era. It doesn't matter where its being made. If its making big $$, factories listen to quality control.

Last edited:
Alls I'm gonna say is Nutsac makes a bag out of top quality materials for cheap as hell and made in USA. An old school single has lasted me like 5 years easy, and its not done cause I'm about to pass it along to a friend, too, after I just got a double 2.0 that can easily cary 16 discs. Their quality control is exceptional, and the price point is ridiculously fair.
Just saying. For around 50 bucks you can cover 90% of the bases you expect to with a backpack in a solid shoulder bag.

And, I'm keeping my eye on you, Conky... this aggression will not stand, man.