• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] New Innova Stuff

Is this new Champion like the stuff at end of 2018 where it was like Gummy Champion or is it stiff the way some but not all Luster Champion and Metal Flake can be? Innova stopped making the Glow Innova Valkyrie and I want another Champion option to buy that feels like the way early runs of Champion felt in mid 2000's when new.

I have seen some that are stiff and some that are gummy. Buddy just snagged a faf champ firebird that feels gummy just like mid 2000s champ. But I have a few roc3s that are closer to the stiff luster.

Innova either is or was trying different blends of champ. Idk if they were trying to dial it in to what they want for full production or if they have settled on a blend yet. But as of right now, prolly gonna have to feel discs up. I think maybe OTB discs describes plastic feel so that may be an option!

Innova either is or was trying different blends of champ. Idk if they were trying to dial it in to what they want for full production or if they have settled on a blend yet. But as of right now, prolly gonna have to feel discs up. I think maybe OTB discs describes plastic feel so that may be an option!

I don't think Innova is experimenting so much as they are constrained by the source material they purchase. They buy in large quantities, so when one batch runs out and they get another, that source material may be more suited for hard, clear plastic (JL) or translucent, more gummy plastic.

I don't think Innova is experimenting so much as they are constrained by the source material they purchase. They buy in large quantities, so when one batch runs out and they get another, that source material may be more suited for hard, clear plastic (JL) or translucent, more gummy plastic.

My guess is that they get some plastic samples in. Run a few runs to see which plastic blend they want to order then move it to full production. Thats my guess based on the blends Ive seen coming out. Really doesn't matter as my point was that I cannot definitively say if champ will be stiff or gummy. Newer runs have been gummier but they're all a lil lustery.

My guess is that they get some plastic samples in. Run a few runs to see which plastic blend they want to order then move it to full production. Thats my guess based on the blends Ive seen coming out. Really doesn't matter as my point was that I cannot definitively say if champ will be stiff or gummy. Newer runs have been gummier but they're all a lil lustery.

It has been posted on these boards and elsewhere that Innova (and other manufacturers) buy source material (plastic pellets) that is other people's leftovers. They get a better price if they buy what's offered them in quantity, and they don't have a lot of choice, much less samples to test. For their top quality plastics, like Star, they have to pay more to get whatever is making Star the more consistent, better plastic (yes, I know, some will debate that Star is really consistent, but I digress), and that's why Star discs cost more.

It has been posted on these boards and elsewhere that Innova (and other manufacturers) buy source material (plastic pellets) that is other people's leftovers. They get a better price if they buy what's offered them in quantity, and they don't have a lot of choice, much less samples to test. For their top quality plastics, like Star, they have to pay more to get whatever is making Star the more consistent, better plastic (yes, I know, some will debate that Star is really consistent, but I digress), and that's why Star discs cost more.

I can't remember where I read this or who told me but the rumor is that Star is actually cheaper to produce than Champ, but they can take a higher margin since it sells just as good at the higher price.

I can't remember where I read this or who told me but the rumor is that Star is actually cheaper to produce than Champ, but they can take a higher margin since it sells just as good at the higher price.

I've heard and read a lot of stuff about Star, including that it's a combination of Champion and Pro plastics. I do think that Pro plastic is the base for it, but I'm not sure what additives are put in to make Star consistent (and some may argue, but IMHO Star has always been pretty consistent).

Relative costs to produce? I'm not the one with that knowledge; maybe others can chime in on that...

I've heard and read a lot of stuff about Star, including that it's a combination of Champion and Pro plastics. I do think that Pro plastic is the base for it, but I'm not sure what additives are put in to make Star consistent (and some may argue, but IMHO Star has always been pretty consistent).

Relative costs to produce? I'm not the one with that knowledge; maybe others can chime in on that...

That part of the business is interesting to me but it's quite understandable that it's one of the most guarded pieces of information.

That part of the business is interesting to me but it's quite understandable that it's one of the most guarded pieces of information.

Totally agree. Like a good moonshine recipe, I'm not expecting Innova to give us their amounts....

I could see Innova buying leftover plastic in the 90s and early 2000s, but these days they go through a lot of plastic. All of this is pure speculation from everybody, but their plastic is arguably their most important "ingredient" outside of the actual molds, I'd imagine that they have a system in place by now.

An old Innova Catalog I has years ago, stated that Star was a mix of Champ and Pro.

As for Jolly Launcher, a friend of mine who sells plastic to large industrial buyers, looked at it once and said it had to be virgin pellets.

From dealer.innovadiscs.com

Stargate XXL Star Destroyers
XT Mako3
Super Hero, Super Star, and Super Sonic dog discs (dogs are DG people too :) )
Canteens, can huggers, patches, stuff like that...

From dealer.innovadiscs.com

Stargate XXL Star Destroyers
XT Mako3
Super Hero, Super Star, and Super Sonic dog discs (dogs are DG people too :) )
Canteens, can huggers, patches, stuff like that...

The SuperHero I have is an amazing approach disc (PDGA approved under the Hero Disc Type 235) as well as a get out of jail disc when you don't have a lot of reach back. It's like an X Comet that is seasoned and even glidier due to its larger diameter.

Meh. Nothing too exciting.

I tend to agree. Not very exciting offerings. Maybe they'll have something really big for next month. Maybe we'll see some Fireflys be made available to the proletarian DG masses. :popcorn:

If the XT Mako3 is FAF board flat like my Star Mako3, I might be interested in trying it, especially if the XT is the 'good' XT like that found in the Bullfrog. If it started out straight and seasoned in nicely to a reliable understable disc, that would be most very good. Time will tell on that...

Latest posts