• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

im using champion and ions, and how would i use heat? just heat up the dye?

Mix the dye with water. I'm not familiar with the proper ratio for using liquid Rit but someone should be able to help with that the put mixture into a ppt and bring to a heat where it just starts to steam. Remove from heat then add disc to dye for 7-20 mins

Anyone dyed CryZtal FLX yet? Brice L. just gave me one to do. Big guy, expensive disc, nerves. I'm sure it'll be fine. All my best dyes are on CryZtal. Just wondering if we have done it yet.

Had a friend do a dye for me. He put the disc in a manila envelope too soon and the disc got to me stuck in a few places and some envelope came off in the dye. Red and Blue dye here and where it was stuck it is still sticky. Is there a way I could dry this dye because it is still very sticky, esp. on the red dye?

Put it in the freezer for 24hrs. And tell the person who dyed it for you to do the same ASAP they finish a dye. It helps the dye cure properly and prolongs the inevitable blurring and fadeing of the dye

Okay guys, I need some help. I've done a few dyes, with varying degrees of success, but nothing too tricky. I just ordered a clear Cryztal Z Buzzz from Marshall Street and am really wanting to put Captain America's sheild on it. I really, really want to get this right because I want this to be my main mid that I can use for years to come. Any ideas on making sure I get the curve of the circle right? Or exactly which RIT colors to use for the red or blue? I was planning on just keeping the white part clear. I use contact paper since I couldn't find vinyl near. Any help would be appreciated.

The circles can be tricky, I know LoPan12 has used a circle cutter if you can find one of those, I'm looking for a decent one to try out myself. Otherwise, I'd find something the right size to trace around with the blade. I just did a CA shield for someone and if you don't have access to a plotter they're tough to hand cut. The concentric circles show off centering errors and errors in the circle cut. I just put the vinyl on and then used a compass and a protractor to hand drew the design on there, much easier to make sure you're center that way. The star will also show any errors if it's not a golden pentagram.

Cryztal plastic is one of the better plastics to dye one and they look great. I used a Royal blue and a scarlet red for the colors, looked spot on, just watch them as you go to make sure they're the right shade. I'd do the blue first and the red last, red always seems to leech more color into the remask vinyl and change tones. Good luck, hope this helps, can't wait to see it when it's done.

I found a Martha Stewart circle cutter at Wal-Mart. It did okay, but I'm still using contact paper and can't get it to be perfect against bleeding. This is the disc. I'm dissapointed by how wide I made the clear circle but would be okay if I hadn't screwed up that star so darn bad. Still gotta clean off some of that sticky from the contact paper too.

Captain America by gamedaytested, on Flickr

I used one of these guys I got from my local crafts store (Michael's). I drilled an extra hole in the blue part that let me get another inch or so in diameter on the circle. When using it, turn the vinyl more than the cutter. Don't use the little plastic needle guard. Just put the point to the vinyl, it will hold a lot better, and cover the hole with scrap vinyl if needed. For the center star, you should have printed out a symmetrical star and traced the stencil onto the vinyl, free-handing/eye-balling geometrically specific shapes is always asking for trouble.

As far as the big clear circle, you could always cut out another circle, mask the center star/blue/red + 2in (or however much) of clear, and then re-dip the red to make the outer circle wider. You could try to remask the outer red, if you wanted to try to match the shades of red, but if you just wanted it red, it would work. You'd have two shades of red, but after a long enough dip, the difference would lessen... You did get some good colors and clean circles though! :thmbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, LoPan. I really appreciate it. I'm using some crappy contact paper from Wal-Mart. I got some of the vinyl from that free 3M trial but not in big enough pieces to cover a disc. The contact paper/circle cutter combo didn't let me really turn the paper instead. I thought about dipping the disc again, but like you said, I'd probably have two shades. And I could live with the circle if not for my star being off.

My wife has a Cricut and thought I might use that to try a simple dye using the Batman cartridge she has (want to do the Batman logo). Unfortunately the machine can only use sheets that are 11" X 6". Are there any issues with overlapping multiple sheets of vinyl to cover the disc or will this cause issues?

My wife has a Cricut and thought I might use that to try a simple dye using the Batman cartridge she has (want to do the Batman logo). Unfortunately the machine can only use sheets that are 11" X 6". Are there any issues with overlapping multiple sheets of vinyl to cover the disc or will this cause issues?

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to seal that joint well enough and it will bleed under.

I have an Orange Z Buzzz that I am going to try and dye a single color. Any thought on what colors would trun out well (other than black)?

My dyes fade or get blurry way sooner than I'd like. Anything I can do to remedy this?