• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

maansmit- Scarlet would probably work for orange, I have had lot of luck with it on orange discs
BrotherDave- do you put your discs into the freezer after you get done with them? What plastics are you using, I know here I try to keep mine out of the sun.

My wife has a Cricut and thought I might use that to try a simple dye using the Batman cartridge she has (want to do the Batman logo). Unfortunately the machine can only use sheets that are 11" X 6". Are there any issues with overlapping multiple sheets of vinyl to cover the disc or will this cause issues?

You need to try this program out for the Cricut. I used it on my mom's machine and it makes things so much easier.
http://www.craftedge.com/products/products.html

BroD. My experience has been that fading has a lot to do with the disc you dye. I've yet to dye a discraft disc that didn't fade quickly. Latitude's gold line and opto both hold a dye extremely well without fading for quite a while. Others seem to fall between those somewhere.

My wife has a Cricut and thought I might use that to try a simple dye using the Batman cartridge she has (want to do the Batman logo). Unfortunately the machine can only use sheets that are 11" X 6". Are there any issues with overlapping multiple sheets of vinyl to cover the disc or will this cause issues?

You can either overlap, if you just need solid masking, if the stencil cut needs to be bigger, I'd place the vinyl adjacent, and seal the seam between the two with low temp hot glue.

maansmit- Scarlet would probably work for orange, I have had lot of luck with it on orange discs
BrotherDave- do you put your discs into the freezer after you get done with them? What plastics are you using, I know here I try to keep mine out of the sun.
Yeah, I put it in there and it still faded like crazy.
BroD. My experience has been that fading has a lot to do with the disc you dye. I've yet to dye a discraft disc that didn't fade quickly. Latitude's gold line and opto both hold a dye extremely well without fading for quite a while. Others seem to fall between those somewhere.
That's probably what it is, I dyed a "Toots and the Maytals" logo on an EVO HPP white Magic and I can't look at it w/o feeling like I have glaucoma. :\

What is the standard ratio of Rit powder dye to Water?
I've looked through a few threads and have not really found anything.

I did some more searching and found 1 tablespoon of powder per 2 cups of water. does this sound about right?
Also I had another question that occurred to me last night while I was mixing a dye.
Does the color of the dye come up in the steam from the pot where you mix the dye (if you heat the water to boiling to mix it in with the dye)?
I'm wondering if this is going to make a mess on the white microwave above my stove.

Does the color of the dye come up in the steam from the pot where you mix the dye (if you heat the water to boiling to mix it in with the dye)?
I'm wondering if this is going to make a mess on the white microwave above my stove.

This may just be my own personal anecdote, but I remember once doing a dye with teal. For whatever reason, I spent a lot of time with my head in the steam. I subsequently spent the next 24 hours blowing blueish snot out of my nose. :gross:

Having said that, I have no doubts about the cleaning powers of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. That stuff cleaned some month-old dye splashes off of my white counter tops.

I am trying real hard to find information on doing an entirely PINK disc on Star or Champion plastic. I'm going to be starting with either a WHITE Star or CLEAR Champ.

I've had great success with Sunshine Orange as a dip dye on white and yellow Star plastic, but when I tried the FUCHSIA Rit powder on a white Star plastic, it was still white after 10 minutes, and by 25 minutes it had become a rusted-yellow color. I just don't get it.

I used 4 cups of water, 1 packet of Fuchsia Rit, boiled the Rit, dropped the temp. to 120 and dunked the disc (the exact same as with my awesome success with the Sunshine Orange powder).

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience getting a good, vivid pink color.

I didn't realize this thread has turned into a disc dyeing forum. I thought that is what the the disc dyeing section is for.

yea, where do people get off asking all these newbie dying questions....

sorry puppet, I have no idea.. maybe fuchsia is plagued by the same problem as the recent black batch

I didn't realize this thread has turned into a disc dyeing forum. I thought that is what the the disc dyeing section is for.

I'm not real good at sarcastic humor, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one dude.:confused:

where is a good tutorial of how to dye your first disc, one or two colors. have seen some youtube vids but curious if someone can help and point me in the right direction, want to try one out tomorrow.

where is a good tutorial of how to dye your first disc, one or two colors. have seen some youtube vids but curious if someone can help and point me in the right direction, want to try one out tomorrow.

Search this forum as there are already many threads on this very topic

Any help by someone who knows how to use this. :doh:

Well, I am REALLY new to this and have only done 3 discs. Here is what I did:

I had a white, star plastic Innova disc.

I used Rit, Sunshine Orange powder.

I went with 1 packet to four cups (same as NoThingness said, "2 cups H2O and 1 Tbsn powder" suggestion for this color). You might need to increase that mix depending on the size of the pan.

I boiled the water in a pan, added the dye, put in 1 teeny, tiny drop of dish soap (I heard that would help prevent spotting due to the undissolved powder and I guess it did).

I put some cut to size bamboo chopsticks in the bottom of the pan (you obviously don't want the plastic to touch the bottom of the pan because it would stick and melt).

I lowered the temperature to 120°F and dunked my first disc.

I put the disc in top down so that the water filled the disc like a bowl and kept it submerged.

I stirred it occaisionally and kept spinning the disc about every 2 minutes to keep the chopsticks from making marks and that also seemed to help keep the dye from settling in the bottom of the pan.

I let it soak for 20 minutes (at NoThingness' suggestion for that color) but occaisionally checked it for the right color and could have pulled it earlier.

I took out the disc over an old towel to keep it from dripping on everything and then rinsed it off in room temp water, then dried it with a towel.

Finally, I heard that tossing it in the Freezer for about 24 hours would help the overall longevity of the color, so I did that.

StarWraith_SunshineOrange.jpg

Suggestions: Use rubber gloves or some clever tongs to handle the stirring, flipping, spinning and removal of the disc, this stuff really stains. Make sure the disc is clean and dry by using dish soap and then thoroughly rinsing it in warm water until it is squeaky clean (no soap residue). SAVE THAT DYE - pour it out of the pan through a funnel into a jar or other lidded container as it's just as good in the future.

So you know, I tried the Rit Fuchsia powder the next day, using the same formula on another white Star plastic disc and got nothing but an ugly, pale rust color. It didn't make any sense at all. I tried soaking it longer, I tried adding more dye to the mix and it just wouldn't work. I re-dunked the same disc in the previous days Orange mix and it came out beautifully. There are obviously some unpredicatble factors and many variations in mixing for different colors... and some evidence that Rit may have recently changed their product

Try this or this both of these are fabulous tutorials. One is pictorial and one is video. This is where I got my start. Good luck.

I've been considering doing my own "how to". It may show up soon.

Try this or this both of these are fabulous tutorials. One is pictorial and one is video. This is where I got my start. Good luck.

I've been considering doing my own "how to". It may show up soon.

Thanks EKY! was able to open the second link but not the video that the fella posted.