• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Dye Question Thread

Welp that didn't work. Regular poly green looks more gray shades at different times than any kind of green. Maybe it's the batch, maybe it's the Star plastic I'm testing on, but it is in no way "green." Back to the drawing board....

The iDye green lookes good on white or clear Gateway Evolution plastic. I used it on an orange Prodigy and it did that same grayish thing. A little acetone makes it look much more vibrant also. That's what I have discovered from my limited experience.

Bennett do you dislike rit kelly green? Or no longer have any?

Rit kelly green is OK, not great, not as "true" a green as I'd like. I still have some, but was trying to get a few different shades of green, or at least not the one shade that Rit Kelly Green gives.

Welp that didn't work. Regular poly green looks more gray shades at different times than any kind of green. Maybe it's the batch, maybe it's the Star plastic I'm testing on, but it is in no way "green." Back to the drawing board....

I'm surprised...I have always had pretty good results with idye green. Not like pylam, but decent. The green on this is idye:

picture.php

Also, the Mace I posted in this thread back a few pages has some nice green areas that are idye.

Are you doing Dip dyes? I don't think I ever tried that with idye green, but SC/acetone/detergent mixes all seemed pretty good.

what tape do you guys use for transfer tape on stencil dyes?

I just use regular (wide) masking tape. I stick it on and peel it off on jeans or something a couple times first so it isn't so sticky. Otherwise I run into the issue where the tape pulls off the smaller pieces of vinyl on intricate cuts.

But this works well enough that I haven't bothered to find a better solution.

I recently picked up some Pylam samples and was wondering what you guys use for ratios on a soap/acetone/dye mixture? I think I want to get into some hand painted dyes for fun

I recently picked up some Pylam samples and was wondering what you guys use for ratios on a soap/acetone/dye mixture? I think I want to get into some hand painted dyes for fun

For painting I generally use a mix of just dye and detergent (although I need to try some acetone painting I think...). For that mix I use about 3/8 teaspoon dye for 4oz of detergent.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but since I keep seeing different videos on YouTube saying different things (and I don't know recall how old those videos are and which ones chronologically were made first), but are Champion/Z/Opto plastics not good for dyeing?

I have seen videos where they say Star/ESP is best but that the clear plastics do not transfer well with the colors. But at the same time I have seen tons of discs that look fine that are champion/Z/opto.

I'm wanting to try out the shaving cream method this weekend and need to know if I need to buy another disc to try this or what. I mostly have champion/opto/Z plastics in my bag and a couple of GStars. It does seem like everyone is in agreement to stay away from DX and Pro/R Pro though.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but since I keep seeing different videos on YouTube saying different things (and I don't know recall how old those videos are and which ones chronologically were made first), but are Champion/Z/Opto plastics not good for dyeing?

I have seen videos where they say Star/ESP is best but that the clear plastics do not transfer well with the colors. But at the same time I have seen tons of discs that look fine that are champion/Z/opto.

I'm wanting to try out the shaving cream method this weekend and need to know if I need to buy another disc to try this or what. I mostly have champion/opto/Z plastics in my bag and a couple of GStars. It does seem like everyone is in agreement to stay away from DX and Pro/R Pro though.

I have stayed away from SC dyes on Champ, so I can't really say how well they work, or don't. Dip dyes and detergent dyes have been fine for me on champ-types, so I would imagine SC would be fine too...not sure why I haven't tried it. :\

The Champion like plastics will take a dye but it takes longer. I haven't done the shaving cream method but somewhere wither in this thread or maybe a thread specific to shaving cream dyes the timing information is available. IIRC it is about 8 hours for Star and 24 for champion (or opto/z)

Thanks guys. Looks like I just need to leave it in longer for the champion/Z plastics. GStar a good plastic to dye? What about GL?

Thanks guys. Looks like I just need to leave it in longer for the champion/Z plastics. GStar a good plastic to dye? What about GL?

G* is fantastic, at least as good as star, maybe better.

Is GL gold line? If so, yes. Gold line is also amazing - probably my favorite bc so many are pearly and awesome.

G* is fantastic, at least as good as star, maybe better.

Is GL gold line? If so, yes. Gold line is also amazing - probably my favorite bc so many are pearly and awesome.

yes, gold line. I'm trying to figure out how to get those swirly marbly dyes. I know the standard tie dye looking ones use tooth picks but what do you do to get those pretty swirly marble dyes?

yes, gold line. I'm trying to figure out how to get those swirly marbly dyes. I know the standard tie dye looking ones use tooth picks but what do you do to get those pretty swirly marble dyes?

I think you might be talking dish washing detergent instead of shaving cream. Similar concept, different effect.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99535

Although, you might also be talking plastic bag/wrap smash down style. I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I think you might be talking dish washing detergent instead of shaving cream. Similar concept, different effect.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99535

Although, you might also be talking plastic bag/wrap smash down style. I'm not sure.

Thanks, had to resurrect and comment on it so it would show up under sub'd threads. Appreciated!

Tonight I picked up a Star Destroyer 170g. It also happened to be white. I think mine might look like a mess of green, purple, and blue, but we'll see in the morning. Will post pics if it's not hideous.

Issues with tape not releasing vinyl

I've been using basic blue painters tape to keep my stencils in place before I stick 'em on my disc. The problem I've been having is that when I try to peel the tape off it's sticking to the vinyl and taking it up as well. With some effort I can get the vinyl back down and the tape off, but it's caused some tiny tears (rhymes with bears) which have led to bleeds.

I tried sticking the tape to some fabric first so it wouldn't be as sticky. No dice.

Is there a different type of tape that's a little less tacky so I don't have to spend an extra 20 minutes diligently peeling tape?

I've heard that the masking tape for delicate surfaces works well. I actually use transfer tape. That's what it is designed for.