• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I'm not shure how star would differ but I was out in my yard a month or so ago and put a little to much zing on my cryztal challenger. It landed in the road and before I could get to it some DB actually crossed the yellow line just to run it over. It did not effect the stabillity of it at all. In my total furstration on account of the drivers DB'ery I whipped a all out side arm shot. From about 20' away at her car with the banshee I had in my hand. I nailed her door and put a slice in both her door and my banshee. But the challenger was ok and thats all I was concerned about. It's hard to replace your $ putter.

Funny part:
She went home (about 3 blocks down) told her hubby and sent him to "talk" to me. When he got to my house I went into a long explanation about the disc, the game of disc golf, and how important that putter is to me. He just sat back and listened not saying a word. When I finished what I had to say he just turned around and went to his trunk. (I thought this guy was going to shoot me or something). But no he pulled out a fade turny bag and said "Ya want to go play a round?" I LOL and off to the course we drove. It was awsome. :hfive:

That guy won't be getting the candy for some time...:)

When I throw RHBH I either can use a stable disc which will send my disc out with a left off the teepad landing. When I use an overstable disc its possible to flip the disc and get an S curve where the landing zone will be straight in front or over in the right if I hit a tree.
Now when I flick a disc can I do the same thing? Make it S-curve to the left or hold a line and finish to the right? Im just not sure if the different discs will really make a difference on my flick.
Champ firebirds are nice for flicking when you want to hold a line and end up right, what discs are going to do different flight patterns when flicked?

I've read about 20 pages of this thread, so sorry if this has been answered already but I am anxious to get an answer.

Always liked Valks, had several over the last few years. Started reading about x4 and x5 KC PROs but don't know the advantages (I know they are a softer pro versions).

What's so great about them? better grip than pro? longer glide?

I picked this one up might just collect it, might throw it although it's 149 grams, maybe a good turnover disc?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230699773062?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Thoughts and advice appreciate it,
Brandon

valks are jk pros, not kc pros, and yes they might offer a little more glide and more grip, but at triple the cost. id just stick with the same champs you have and once they beat in they will feel very nice

valks are jk pros, not kc pros, and yes they might offer a little more glide and more grip, but at triple the cost. id just stick with the same champs you have and once they beat in they will feel very nice

My bad, yeah jk's. Thanks, wish I hadn't sold my beat valks, only have new ones right now. :confused:

I'm leaning towards throwing it. I don't know how i'll throw a 149 g disc. I can throw an archon 165 like 300 avg. I can't see it hyzering for too long considering I play on a wooded course. Eventually a long slow turnover disc?

One last noob question, (for a while:)) how do you add years played and rhbh in your profile. I've been looking for a half hour. Thanks

When I throw RHBH I either can use a stable disc which will send my disc out with a left off the teepad landing. When I use an overstable disc its possible to flip the disc and get an S curve where the landing zone will be straight in front or over in the right if I hit a tree.
Now when I flick a disc can I do the same thing? Make it S-curve to the left or hold a line and finish to the right? Im just not sure if the different discs will really make a difference on my flick.
Champ firebirds are nice for flicking when you want to hold a line and end up right, what discs are going to do different flight patterns when flicked?

Generally any line you can do BH you can do FH. The only real difference b/w BH and FH is that most people can naturally put more torque on a disc FH than BH, this is why lots of n00bs become FH dominant. Now, the more clean spin you impart on a disc will cause it to fly stable (straight), which might be why you are having trouble S-curving a flick.

All discs have general characteristics: Speed, High Speed Stability (HSS aka Turn), and Low Speed Stability (LSS aka Fade). How the disc flicks for you will depend a bit on the mold/disc you choose. Let's take the classic Eagle vs Teebird example.

Teebird is quite HSS (i.e. hard to turn over cleanly when new) and some LSS where as Eagle-X is less HSS and more LSS. B/c the Eagle has a less HSS and thus easier to turn over PLUS more LSS to help fade back out of the turn, it makes it a naturally more S-curving than the straight and slight fade Teebird.

Now specifically your problem, if you're putting a lot of clean torque on your FH, you may want to look for discs with negative HSS. For example, if you can't get an S-curve out of a Roadrunner, there is something seriously wrong with your form. But with any disc you can always release with anhyzer to force a flex shot type of S-curve.

Posting Pictures?

Hey All,

I need some help with this site. How do you get large format pictures into your posts? I have only found success with the thumbnails, think that they are to labour intensive to view, and want to provide the easy to view large embedded pictures.

Thanks

Upload them to an external site (photobucket, flickr, picassa) and then link to them using the IMG tags. There are restrictions on the file sizes that can be attached to posts.

If it you upload it as an attachment to this site and then click on the link you can simply copy the DGCR address and place it between the IMG tags which will provide the large image and the thumbnail in your post.

But only if the image is less than 146.5KB and smaller than 1280 x 1280.

So...a couple things.

First, how do I search multiple terms? IE, I wanted to find some info about disc weights, but search popped up with a bunch of threads with "disc" in the name, and a bunch more with "weight" in the name.

Second, regarding the example about throwing double digit speed discs as a noob...what's up with that? I've been playing 6 months and I can throw 350 forehand with my Ape (that I just lost today.) What's the reasoning behind not throwing those discs? I shoot with a guy that's been playing 10 years and has the same range...

Lastly, disc weights. Heavy, light...what's what? What should I buy? What are the weights good for?

Thanks guys.

1. I don't know if it works on this site's search but if you put the words in quotes, "disc weights" it will only search for that exact phrase. If you need to you can do that type of search on google and put in site:www.dgcoursereview.com and it will exclusively search this site.

2. Some people do have a natural ability to throw a disc, BUT most do not. Faster discs that do not get up to their "cruising speed" will fade out sooner and harder than normal. New players then compensate for this massive fade by rolling their wrist (among other things) and develop bad form. I haven't seen you throw and don't know what kind of line your ape it taking, but i'd be willing to bet that if you were to throw something understable it would crash and burn less than 20 ft. in front of you.

3. lighter discs will tend to be less stable than heavier ones, because you can get more power behind them. its up to you to decide what you want to throw. there are some people that like to throw all max weight discs for consistancy. I use lighter discs for anything I want to use for understable and hyzerflips, medium weights for my straight drivers and max wieght (175) for overstable into-the-wind discs.