• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

What discs are pros allowed or not allowed to sign? I had a experience where a discraft sponsored pro was working behind the counter at a tourney checking out people and he wouldn't even check me out with my stack of innova discs. But the other day he and another discraft pro signed my friends roc. We thought maybe it was ok because it had a DD stamp on it, and they are also both DD sponsored. But what are the rules about pros and discs they can sign?

that would depend on their contract they have for the sponsorship. the more high profile the player, the more restrictive their contract would be probably. i'm sure it probably changes from company to company and where they are and who is watching.

once i had a buddy get stanhope to sign his buzzz .. she did sign it .. but also put "Innova" on it nice and big lol :thmbup:

How long does it take to beat in star plastic? I can't seem to get mine to beat in, and I'm sick of waiting. Is there some way to accelerate the process? like, for pro and dx, I can practice spike hyzers in a gravel parking lot, but star seems too resilient for that. Solutions?

Also, regarding the 162 star vulcan and the 168 pro vulcan, which will be flippier? I presume the heavier pro vulcan will start out more stable than the lighter star vulcan, but quickly become less stable. Is that right? If not, what weight of pro vulcan would be equivalent to the 162 star vulcan? The pro vulcan isn't available in weights lighter than 168 as far as I can tell.

How long does it take to beat in star plastic? I can't seem to get mine to beat in, and I'm sick of waiting. Is there some way to accelerate the process? like, for pro and dx, I can practice spike hyzers in a gravel parking lot, but star seems too resilient for that. Solutions?

Also, regarding the 162 star vulcan and the 168 pro vulcan, which will be flippier? I presume the heavier pro vulcan will start out more stable than the lighter star vulcan, but quickly become less stable. Is that right? If not, what weight of pro vulcan would be equivalent to the 162 star vulcan? The pro vulcan isn't available in weights lighter than 168 as far as I can tell.

2-3 months of a lot of playing. Back when I lived in Mobile, AL the course had a lot of bare/sandy spots, and hyzering and skipping into that a lot seemed to speed up the process, but gravel I dunno, want to work it in, not destroy it.

If you have a lot of trees & rocks at your course, that will certainly help beat it in faster than 2-3 months.

Do a search on beat in/break in star plastic and I think you'll find what you're looking for. Threads like that have popped up every few months for the past few years.

I think i remember reading somewhere that you can runover it with your car. Does that really work or was it a joke?

I think i remember reading somewhere that you can runover it with your car. Does that really work or was it a joke?

I'm not shure how star would differ but I was out in my yard a month or so ago and put a little to much zing on my cryztal challenger. It landed in the road and before I could get to it some DB actually crossed the yellow line just to run it over. It did not effect the stabillity of it at all. In my total furstration on account of the drivers DB'ery I whipped a all out side arm shot. From about 20' away at her car with the banshee I had in my hand. I nailed her door and put a slice in both her door and my banshee. But the challenger was ok and thats all I was concerned about. It's hard to replace your $ putter.

Funny part:
She went home (about 3 blocks down) told her hubby and sent him to "talk" to me. When he got to my house I went into a long explanation about the disc, the game of disc golf, and how important that putter is to me. He just sat back and listened not saying a word. When I finished what I had to say he just turned around and went to his trunk. (I thought this guy was going to shoot me or something). But no he pulled out a fade turny bag and said "Ya want to go play a round?" I LOL and off to the course we drove. It was awsome. :hfive:

What discs are pros allowed or not allowed to sign? I had a experience where a discraft sponsored pro was working behind the counter at a tourney checking out people and he wouldn't even check me out with my stack of innova discs. But the other day he and another discraft pro signed my friends roc. We thought maybe it was ok because it had a DD stamp on it, and they are also both DD sponsored. But what are the rules about pros and discs they can sign?

What do you mean by "checking out"?
If you mean you were buying plastic, then it seems (i have no real inside info reguarding sponsorship details- i am only using my logic to help field the question) that with the majority of sponsorships being based on team mambers selling plastic to raise funds, then it makes sense that they not be allowed to sell "out of box" discs from another company.

On vids and whatnot, ive seen both innova and discraft champions signing all brands offered.

Frank D started this thread. Will we ever get the PRIVILEGE of reading the wit and wisdom of Frank D on this forum again?

How long does it take to beat in star plastic? I can't seem to get mine to beat in, and I'm sick of waiting.

Jen. Take a trip to Big Spring. Play an awesome course and beat the hell out of your discs. It won't take long. Playing on the ROCK that is the Cherokee Trail course will do the trick. You'll have fun too!

Frank D started this thread. Will we ever get the PRIVILEGE of reading the wit and wisdom of Frank D on this forum again?

It's a well known fact that Frank still trolls these forums under a pseudonym, posting when he feels in the mood.

I doubt he will ever offer any wisdom in this thread again, he has no motivation to willfully add any knowledge on DGCR, but if you really need your Franky fix, mosey on over to DGR, he lives there.

This thread is doing just fine without him, and I truly believe that any question that you think Frank might have had good answer for, any number of other forum members here can answer just as well, if not better, day in and day out.

A friend of mine used to leave them in the back of his pick-up for a couple weeks. Worked pretty well for him!

Thumbers and tree smacks will beat in Star, it just takes a couple of months at least. You could always manually tune the disc by bending the nose down to help lower the PLH.

I don't think there is a science b/w weight and flippyness. Generally Pro is flippier than Star and lighter is flippier than heavier but you could have a Pro Vulcan that's lighter be more overstable than a heavier Star b/c the Pro has a high PLH and is flatter/domier (whichever applies for that mold). But time and wear will generally cause the Pro to become flippier than the Star.

RE: Disc dying; SC method. Is there a particular shape of plate that works best?

This question would be better asked in the disc dying forum. But.... Any plate that is deep enough to push the disc down into the shaving cream will work. I just use a regular dinner plate. Works best if the rim is smooth so you can make a nice flat bed to start with.

Latest posts