• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Has anyone else developed "tennis elbow" from playing DG, and how long was it until a full recovery?

I am still feeling pain in the morning and at odd moments. I have not played in a while, and have not gripped a disc hard in months.

No tennis elbow, but my pec muscle would get pretty sore after rounds when I first started playing. After that, I eventually tore the rotator cuff in my shoulder from playing too hard too often.

How do you know when a disc is starting to beat in? I have a Star Teebird 170g, and about 3 out of 5 times I can get it to do a slight S curve. I have had it for less than a year, approx 10 months. I have been using it for my main driver from march until the present. It has seen its fair share of tree hits, but is still in good shape. I also have 2 other star teebirds and I just cant get them to s Curve. Both of the other two were found in a lake, still in good shape however, so I have no idea what the previous owners did to them. They still fly straight and fade at the end. Will the other two teebirds ever break in? I have been using them more and saving my S curve teebird because I don't want it to get flippy.

I guess the next question, and I'm sure this has been asked a million times, is how do you know when a disc is flippy?
Thanks in advance to the great disc gurus on this site.:thmbup:

What weights are the other teebirds? Lighter discs are a tad less stable. When some one mentions flippy they are usuay referring to a disc that has been "hyzer flipped " and instead of getting flipped to flat or a slight turn before the fade, the disc gets completely flipped and turns over and won't fade back. If you have a decent technique you should be able to make any teebird do a s curve no matter of the level of beatiness. Try using a dx teebird for awhile and you will really see how the flight changes. Or get a more understable driver such as a roadrunner or leopard, and work on hyzer flipping them.

How do you know when a disc is starting to beat in? I have a Star Teebird 170g, and about 3 out of 5 times I can get it to do a slight S curve. I have had it for less than a year, approx 10 months. I have been using it for my main driver from march until the present. It has seen its fair share of tree hits, but is still in good shape. I also have 2 other star teebirds and I just cant get them to s Curve. Both of the other two were found in a lake, still in good shape however, so I have no idea what the previous owners did to them. They still fly straight and fade at the end. Will the other two teebirds ever break in? I have been using them more and saving my S curve teebird because I don't want it to get flippy.

I guess the next question, and I'm sure this has been asked a million times, is how do you know when a disc is flippy?
Thanks in advance to the great disc gurus on this site.:thmbup:

I also find the premium plastics take too lomg to beat in, but the DX plastic beats in too quickly. This is why I switched from a star teebird to a pro leopard.

One is 173g and the other is 175g. The one that I can S curve with is 170g. Once in a blue moon the 173g one will turn a bit to the right, but not like the 170g one will.
After taking the advice on this sight, I have been discing down since June/July of this year. Before I was using a Pro Katana for my distance driver. It was way too inconsistent. Now my main driver is the star Teebird. I also use a ESP Avenger as my overstable disc. I still have the Katana in my bag, as I pull it out from time to time to see if I can throw it any further than the Teebird. On average I can throw the Teebird just as far as the Katana. I guess my next question would be what is the next step up from the Teebird as I progress in my skills. Orc, Valk?

Ok 3rd question, when do you know that it is time to move up. I would say on average I drive my teebird 275-300 range. Of course sometimes it is less sometimes it is more but that is about the range on average. Should I stay with the teebird until I'm consist at a certain distance? All I know is that my best throw was 40 ft past a 340 ft hole, and that was with my Katana. I have only bombed it once like this and everything was just right. It was quite impressive for me, but I haven't been able to achieve this distance since. Most of the course I play the teebird is just fine. However if I go on a road trip, like I did in Nov., there were some holes where I needed a bigger driver. I really don't like the rim on the Katana. It just feels too fat in my hand. I was used to it when it was my go to driver, but since discing down I just don't like the way it feels any more. I prefer the feel of the teebird now.

I think all the disc downers say that you should throw fairway drivers 350 consistently before moving up. From what one of the top pro women told me, that distance with a fairway driver isn't really realistic for pro women, and I would think the same is true for some older men and probably some less athletic men of younger age. I've seen where some have advised to stick with it for at least a year before giving up, and you can work on your physical fitness in the meantime if that's possibly an issue. But it's up to you.

I disced down for nearly a year, but I am using some fast drivers in competition now. However, I'm still throwing a lot of all putter, putter/mid, and putter/mid/fairway casual rounds. Even in competition, I just go all putter in the woods and pull out faster drivers only in very rare circumstances. Mid and putter make up 90% of my game.

Last edited:
i will say that nothing bad will come out of keeping with the teebird, but if you can start to consistently hit over 300' you could move up if you wanted to, but i would recommend not jumping all the way from a 7 speed (1.7 cm rim) to a 13 speed (2.5 cm rim) i'd try moving up to a 9 or 10 speed (1.8/1.9 cm rim) first.

Alright so ill leave dyes in the freezer over night.. What would happen if I dyed an orange disc with black for a short amount of time. Would I get gray like you do with white discs, or would you get brown or even red maybe?

Alright so ill leave dyes in the freezer over night.. What would happen if I dyed an orange disc with black for a short amount of time. Would I get gray like you do with white discs, or would you get brown or even red maybe?

Depends on the type of plastic and the amount of rit dye in your mixture.
Sorry for the kind of non answer...you could always go the the equipment section, click on the disc dying sub thread, and search there.
There are a lot of experts better qualified than myself that can help you tremendously...:clap:

Ok 3rd question, when do you know that it is time to move up. I would say on average I drive my teebird 275-300 range. Of course sometimes it is less sometimes it is more but that is about the range on average. Should I stay with the teebird until I'm consist at a certain distance? All I know is that my best throw was 40 ft past a 340 ft hole, and that was with my Katana. I have only bombed it once like this and everything was just right. It was quite impressive for me, but I haven't been able to achieve this distance since. Most of the course I play the teebird is just fine. However if I go on a road trip, like I did in Nov., there were some holes where I needed a bigger driver. I really don't like the rim on the Katana. It just feels too fat in my hand. I was used to it when it was my go to driver, but since discing down I just don't like the way it feels any more. I prefer the feel of the teebird now.

Like what was said before. I think you should be okay to up once you are hitting 300 and over consistly. Try a understable driver such as a sidewinder or a valkeryie. Work on hyzer flipping them. Once you do that you will be getting mad distance. To tell you the truth, those are my two go to drivers when I
Not facing a head wind. And I can get them out to 400+ And I don't have a big arm by any means

Has anyone else developed "tennis elbow" from playing DG, and how long was it until a full recovery?

I am still feeling pain in the morning and at odd moments. I have not played in a while, and have not gripped a disc hard in months.

Where does it hurt on the elbow? The outer/top part or the inner/under part? Either way, rest alone may not be the cure. For a lot of people that have chronic golfer's elbow, rest (e.g. not playing) is one treatment that is part of a larger recovery routine that focuses on shoulder strengthening. Go see an ortho.

Urrgh!

I've been working on making discs "turn over" to the right. I was TOO successful, now they turn right all the time against my will.

where did I go wrong?

I've been working on making discs "turn over" to the right. I was TOO successful, now they turn right all the time against my will.

where did I go wrong?

lol- nice post! happens a lot and could be numerous issues from rolling your wrist to throwing high-low with for sure off in your timing, probably a late release.

Check out the http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165 thread with links to EVERYTHING you can imagine on improving your game and specifically those discussing OAT.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=201597016520120 is Dave Dunipaces distance/proper form note.

lol- nice post! happens a lot and could be numerous issues from rolling your wrist to throwing high-low with for sure off in your timing, probably a late release.

Check out the http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165 thread with links to EVERYTHING you can imagine on improving your game and specifically those discussing OAT.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=201597016520120 is Dave Dunipaces distance/proper form note.

Thus has happened to me. I was over compensating to have a nice anny, and eventually I was rolling everything over. Just really try to focus on releasing with a slight hyzer angle

If you're PDGA number expires at the end of the year, you play an event in January, and renew in August, does the event count towards my rating??

i didnt want to read the whole thread and i was wondering if there was a place i could go to see my pdga rating and my #??? help please

Latest posts