• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

We play everything a par 3(tourney rules as I've been told) and the worst you can do is 6 "strokes". I'm guessing my brother took it from our putt-putt days.
icon_lol.gif

I think it messes with the game, but it kind helps out the 1 or 2 people we play with that aren't great...

I've never heard of people doing that but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If those guys aren't very good golfers then I can see this actually helping move things along if the course is busy - maybe preventing frustration for both them and the players behind you.

I'm always a fan of having fun and playing how you like. I generally follow the pdga rules unless we're doing some goofy round, but just have fun whatever you do and enjoy the game. Nobody says you have to take it seriously and be competitive outside of tournaments and leagues!

So you can only have 6 strokes on each hole?

So once you throw 6 you're done, no matter what. It's a speed of play rule. It's similar to bogeying out line in ball golf, but I think it's like 15 strokes then.

You can actually throw past 6 if you want, you just get marked with a 6.

Ah, so you're rules are a little different. So instead of speed of play, its more to keep scores relatively competitive I guess?

Yes, it was a rule for when we played putt-putt as children. For some reason my brother thought it would be good for disc golf. It doesn't much matter because we rarely get more than 6 anyways. It's helpful for when we play with people that don't really play.

So, I thought I would add a few thoughts here that I have when putting. If anyone wants to chime in, feel free. This is a list I made for myself when I'm practicing and hopefully creating muscle memory, but also something I can refer to if my putting isn't going so well during a round.

1. Think Ballerina: Smooth amd Graceful Movement

2. Rock back and forth a few times before you putt so you remember to push off

3. Graceful leg extension in conjunction with arm and wrist extension. This gives me balance, like two opposing levers.

4. Pinch disc with thumb and bird finger to create a pivot point (even tho they don't exactly line up)
**Side Note: how come no one on DGCR ever told me to apply pressure with my thumb and finger? I have struggled w/my putter looking like a wounded duck for 3 yrs!**

5. Vertebral extension on follow-thru w/small amt of Anny on long putts. Mostly created by fully extending my body and arm towards the basket.

6. Take your time, you have 30 seconds.

I used to do a bunch of stuff before putting, but I had a bad tourney where I psyched myself out on a bunch of putts, so I changed my routine to:

1) Get to disc. Look at basket to judge distance.
2) Set down mini.
3) Look at basket and throw.

No way to psych myself out then. Putting is a lot of muscle memory, so I like to just get up and go :)

Are overhand putts 10-15 feet from the basket legal by PDGA standards? (I'm talking about the technique where you have your thumb/pinky under the bead and your middle three fingers resting above)

You can propel the disc however you want at any time, no restrictions on grip or throwing style.

I'm in favor of a shot limit after multiple times of seeing ladies empty their bags on ill thought island holes in tournaments. Catrina Allen even threw a 22 on on such hole at Women's Nats last year. Most recently, I saw a seasoned competitor reduced to tears after she threw 18 times from a drop zone under bunker rule before hitting the island in a strong headwind at an all women's tournament. She took a 21 on that hole.

Stop the madness!

If you skip the hole you're DQ'd.

At the discretion of the TD and depending on the reason for the hole being skipped.

801.04.A(5) states if the skip was a misplayed tee it can result in up to 2 penalty throws.

803.13.A(1) If the holes were missed because of late arrival they can be replayed with penalty throws added.

803.13.A(3) Results in a DNF.

I'm in favor of a shot limit after multiple times of seeing ladies empty their bags on ill thought island holes in tournaments. Catrina Allen even threw a 22 on on such hole at Women's Nats last year. Most recently, I saw a seasoned competitor reduced to tears after she threw 18 times from a drop zone under bunker rule before hitting the island in a strong headwind at an all women's tournament. She took a 21 on that hole.

Stop the madness!

I've actually wondered about this as a scenario. You proceed to a hole that has a Buncr hazard or an Island green hole. You throw and throw and throw, not ever making it to the island or past the hazard. You reach down to throw again and find you have not one disc left in your bag. How do you play that? I ask because I will be throwing a tournament in October that will have extensive O.B. and Buncr's.

I was playing a fairly wooded course with dual tees.... My drive off the pro tee went deep into the woods before I could throw my next shot my card said if I didnt make it past the next tee I would have to pull my shorts down and throw with my shorts around my ankles. Needless to say I didnt make it past the next tee so I proceeded to park the next shot with my shorts around ankles. Is there any truth to this rule? I couldnt find it in the rule book.