• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

I've actually wondered about this as a scenario. You proceed to a hole that has a Buncr hazard or an Island green hole. You throw and throw and throw, not ever making it to the island or past the hazard. You reach down to throw again and find you have not one disc left in your bag. How do you play that? I ask because I will be throwing a tournament in October that will have extensive O.B. and Buncr's.

You go collect your discs and keep throwing. I know because I had to ask the rules committee after encountering this situation twice on my card where a player simply ran out of discs to throw. The rules say you can't collect your discs before rethrowing in some situations, but this is not one of them.

You go collect your discs and keep throwing. I know because I had to ask the rules committee after encountering this situation twice on my card where a player simply ran out of discs to throw. The rules say you can't collect your discs before rethrowing in some situations, but this is not one of them.

Gotcha. Looks like you can't retrieve your disc on a foot fault (unless you're inside the circle) but otherwise should be able to retrieve your disc. Even if your bag's not empty.

Even for an optional rethrow, it would seem.

I'm in favor of a shot limit after multiple times of seeing ladies empty their bags on ill thought island holes in tournaments. Catrina Allen even threw a 22 on on such hole at Women's Nats last year. Most recently, I saw a seasoned competitor reduced to tears after she threw 18 times from a drop zone under bunker rule before hitting the island in a strong headwind at an all women's tournament. She took a 21 on that hole.

Stop the madness!

The solution to these situations is drop zones.

Gotcha. Looks like you can't retrieve your disc on a foot fault (unless you're inside the circle) but otherwise should be able to retrieve your disc. Even if your bag's not empty.

Even for an optional rethrow, it would seem.

The only time you can't is a foot fault outside of the circle.

Otherwise you can always retreave the disc. However, the 30 second time frame rule could apply.

That's one rule I've never grasped completely. It's something like 30 seconds after you've established your lie, isn't it? So, time spent retrieving a disc might not count?

801.03 Excessive Time

A. A maximum of 30 seconds is allowed to each player to make a throw after:

The previous player has thrown; and,
The player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie; and,
The playing area is clear and free of distractions.

I think MTL might be suggesting that, if you choose to go retrieve your disc, since you've already marked your lie once, the 30 second time period might be considered as starting when you begin to go retrieve your disc.

Last edited:
Seems like a grey area. If you're retrieving a disc for an optional rethrow, is all of that included in "a reasonable amount of time" to arrive at your disc/marker?

And, anyway, the rule's a bit fuzzy on what happens if you take an unreasonable amount of time to arrive?

801.03 Excessive Time

I think MTL might be suggesting that, if you choose to go retrieve your disc, since you've already marked your lie once, the 30 second time period might be considered as starting when you begin to go retrieve your disc.

Correct.

It certainly is a gray area, but it does prevent someone from throwing in say a lake and then going out for 2 or 3 minutes looking for the disc before throwing arguing they want to use the same disc again.

Ok fine, you have 30 seconds to throw.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been asked before..... the search function brings up mixed articles. Why isn't there a standard rating system for disc companies for speed, HSS, LSS, and glide? Isn't this something that PDGA could do while approving the disc? If the same company (PDGA) was the one to rate all of the discs, this would make it more uniform, right?

Disc flight ratings are very subjective. This is why some of the various flight charts will have the relationship between some discs different from each other.

I have credible feedback that a new, standardized flight rating system is coming out in the next few weeks. Stay tuned.

I threw my first putter round today. I really had to put (what I think) is a lot of hyzer on my release to keep these from burning and turning.

People say that a putter thrown for Max D will tell you what your form issues are. My question is this. Am I really putting a lot of hyzer on my release angle or am I really releasing it flat? If I tried to do the same thing with my faster drivers they would go 200 feet and about 60 feet up.

Your putters are most likely turning over on you on account of OAT (Off Axis Torque). There's oodles on the topic in the Technique & Strategy thread.

Your drivers are all going 200' out and 60' up on a account of a nose-up release. This should help shed some light:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/angles.shtml

I hope this helps

Thanks. What I mean to convey is that if I release my putters on a 45 degree hyzer angle, they fly straight and do what I would expect them to do. I was throwing them 280 in some case.

When I throw my drivers I do not throw them with that much hyzer angle. If I did then they would likely go "200' out and 60' up". Normally I throw them flat and they do what I want most of the time. I was trying to throw a putter round to clean up my form.

I realize I probably have some OAT issues, thus me trying a putter round. My main question is, when I threw great long straight (slight helix in some cases) putter throws, I was releasing what I thought was a 45 degree hyzer angle.

Am I masking my OAT by doing so? Or is releasing on what I think is a 45 degree hyzer angle actually flat as was determined by the feedback that the putter gave me when I release a good shot?

Putters and mids reward nose up, and it is not at all unusual to put more hyzer on a slow disc like a putter or mid when driving full out. If you look at vids of guys throwing putters 400 feet, you'll see them hyzer flipping them. You might find you can also hyzer flip some under stable drivers, like leopards, stingrays, roadrunners, mambas, etc